New Aikido invented for self-defence by Ljubomir Vračarević

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
and you find there is never any confusion of technique in what comes instinctively to you in a situation having such a mixture of differing technical responses? Jx
Not at all. In any situation you might be grappling or you might be protecting against an attack and you automatically register that you can do 'XYZ'. It doesn't matter where it came from but the context of your situation might see you perform more like a practitioner of one or other of the styles. For example if I was totally relaxed and in control of the situation I might be more like an Aikidoka. A bit more stress or physical duress may see the emergence of the Karateka and display a few more powerful strikes. In a totally stressed out multiple attack situation and I think you would see more evidence of the Krav training kick in.

Within the training environment I have no problem differentiating.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Not at all. In any situation you might be grappling or you might be protecting against an attack and you automatically register that you can do 'XYZ'. It doesn't matter where it came from but the context of your situation might see you perform more like a practitioner of one or other of the styles. For example if I was totally relaxed and in control of the situation I might be more like an Aikidoka. A bit more stress or physical duress may see the emergence of the Karateka and display a few more powerful strikes. In a totally stressed out multiple attack situation and I think you would see more evidence of the Krav training kick in.

Within the training environment I have no problem differentiating.
Thank you for your reply.. and within all of this there is no thought process to differentiate AikidoXYZ from KarateXYZ?? you are saying it is not weighing up most efficient technique and but rather it is instinct in the midst of all your various repertoire? Jx

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply.. and within all of this there is no thought process to differentiate AikidoXYZ from KarateXYZ?? you are saying it is not weighing up most efficient technique and but rather it is instinct in the midst of all your various repertoire? Jx
Exactly. I think that when you first start training you try to rationalise far more than is possible. Well before I had come across Brian and his IRT, I was teaching that your response to any attack must be instinctive. It has been shown, at least anecdotally, that the more choices you have, the slower your response as your brain has to decide what is the best course of action. Much better is the reflex action that kicks in to protect you immediately.

In Krav, if I am teaching a particular technique for a specific situation and I find someone who can't seem to make it work because his reflex action is to move the opposite way to the way I am teaching, then I abandon my technique and give him an alternate technique that fits in with his instinctive response to the attack. I know there is no point continuing with the original technique because under pressure it isn't going to happen. If what I was teaching was important, he can always learn that technique later. Training based on instinctive response is something I picked up from Systema years ago.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Jenna,

If you have good training in systems where the delivery methods are not counter productive to each other then people will have very good success in their training. They will also have instinctive movement with their response in a violent encounter. Take for instance your movement in Aikido which would allow you to flow smoothly in Dekiti Tirsia Siradas because of the footwork involved. When we last had Nene Tortal in Michigan several Aikido instructors came and participated and had a great time as the footwork worked well with their current ingrained movement. In IRT I start people from day one with weapons/tools, kicking, hand strikes, trapping and joint manipulation and grappling. The framework is set up so that everything works together. So if they train for awhile it will become instinctive and they will not have to think in a moment of violence but just react.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hi Jenna,

If you have good training in systems where the delivery methods are not counter productive to each other then people will have very good success in their training. They will also have instinctive movement with their response in a violent encounter. Take for instance your movement in Aikido which would allow you to flow smoothly in Dekiti Tirsia Siradas because of the footwork involved. When we last had Nene Tortal in Michigan several Aikido instructors came and participated and had a great time as the footwork worked well with their current ingrained movement. In IRT I start people from day one with weapons/tools, kicking, hand strikes, trapping and joint manipulation and grappling. The framework is set up so that everything works together. So if they train for awhile it will become instinctive and they will not have to think in a moment of violence but just react.
my worry Brian is that too much choice would hamper that instinct? A threat.. an aggressive shove.. a grab for my shoulder.. these are typical for here.. I will have one specific lead-in technique and one specific way to deploy that technique that is ingrained from training it over and over as many different ways.. so it is zero thought it just pop out before I mentally catch up with what I have done.. there is no confusion because I do not have choices to worry over..

You are saying IRT is INTEGRATED yes!! this is how I mean it.. INTEGRATED.. in a threat situation you have much to evaluate.. he has a blade? he have his hand in his pocket? he has pals to stick their boot in also? he is built? he look like he can fight? This is lot to worry over.. It is TOO much beyond this to sift through a loooong lists of techniques (enough within one art - or SYSYEM how much harder being jack-of-all-trades five, six, seven arts or system?)

INTEGRATION equates to not only assimilation and but also discarding, no?? You would agree with this?? on that basis yes.. a system is integrative then I have no question.. A CUMULATIVE approach (more = better) I worry is a confusion of choices at the one time that choice is potentially catastrophic.. whereas ONE art / system then someone has already take time to do sifting assimilating and discarding even if many arts were originally involved - all arts are composite of some thing Aikido no exception.. I hope this makes sense :) Jxx

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Based on one situation in a Wing Chun class

I discovered that virtually all of my defense was taijiquan based and all of my attacks were Xingyiquan based. I had not thought about it before that class (which ironically was not Taiji or Xingyi) but that is what came natural and without thought. So, it could also be that your body and mind will adapt to what it finds easy and or comfortable for the situation at hand with no actual conscious thought necessary.

This also means that I am pretty much a failure at Wing Chun, although I think it is really cool and I train with some really good Wing Chun guys when I have the chance...but I am still doing taijiquan and Xingyiquan and not doing Wing Chun

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Jenna,

Absolutely too much with no framework and you may have a major mess. Of course the flip side is too little and you may have a system that does not meet your needs in the real world. You need fundamentals and skill sets that work off elements and principles and correlate whether you are dealing with a weapon or using one yourself or if you are flat on your back on the ground. When it comes to dealing with violence in the real world it is best to learn a system that teaches you how to deal with weapons/tools, kicking, hand strikes, trapping and joint manipulation and grappling. You also need of course a mental approach that coordinates with this and understands personal protection and what you can and cannot do based upon your local laws.

To train and get your skill set to work for you without thought you need:

1. To train, correctly and regularly (very, very important)
2. Understand and know what and why you are doing it
3. You need to have faith in your skill set
4. You need to let go and just do what needs to be done

Where most people fail is in numbers 3 and 4. Way to many people do not have faith in their skill sets. Also some people
just do not easily let go and do what they need to do. I have met many good martial practitioner's that do not have faith in their training and or the ability to let go and do what needs to be done without thought. (quite often they do not even understand this flaw) I have also met many exceptional martial practitioner's either with one core system or several that had no problems applying their skill set in motion. They do not even have to understand 1 through 4 because they already have it ingrained.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
my worry Brian is that too much choice would hamper that instinct? A threat.. an aggressive shove.. a grab for my shoulder.. these are typical for here.. I will have one specific lead-in technique and one specific way to deploy that technique that is ingrained from training it over and over as many different ways.. so it is zero thought it just pop out before I mentally catch up with what I have done.. there is no confusion because I do not have choices to worry over..

You are saying IRT is INTEGRATED yes!! this is how I mean it.. INTEGRATED.. in a threat situation you have much to evaluate.. he has a blade? he have his hand in his pocket? he has pals to stick their boot in also? he is built? he look like he can fight? This is lot to worry over.. It is TOO much beyond this to sift through a loooong lists of techniques (enough within one art - or SYSYEM how much harder being jack-of-all-trades five, six, seven arts or system?)

INTEGRATION equates to not only assimilation and but also discarding, no?? You would agree with this?? on that basis yes.. a system is integrative then I have no question.. A CUMULATIVE approach (more = better) I worry is a confusion of choices at the one time that choice is potentially catastrophic.. whereas ONE art / system then someone has already take time to do sifting assimilating and discarding even if many arts were originally involved - all arts are composite of some thing Aikido no exception.. I hope this makes sense :) Jxx

They are moving around and doing stuff. You are moving around and doing stuff. That changes the technical nature of your technique anyway.

Say for example You punch me in the face. And I punch you back.
I may not be in a position to throw a technically correct punch at you. So I throw a different punch.

Otherwise you actually do both at once. There is a basic system of automatic attack and defence with a conscious system layered over the top.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Brian this is a very interesting answer.. I appreciate what you say because you know what is what and talk from experience.. I only want to ask why is it you say this..
Way to many people do not have faith in their skill sets.
how do you mean this? it has caught my attention.. thank you, Jx

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Jenna,

The reality is that many people that train in the martial sciences and understand what they are doing do not have faith in their skill sets. Which is no different than athletes who also have to perform under pressure. What differentiates any athletic superstar from say an equally talented athlete in the NBA, NFL, Soccer, etc. Quite often it will go past their work ethic ie. training and knowledge and into the faith the person has in themselves and also their ability to let go and just be in the moment. One only needs to look at any group of martial practitioners talking or yes even on a message board and you will see that some people do not have faith in what they are doing and their own unique skill sets. Faith is essential in any life endeavor once skills, knowledge have been developed.

Misplaced faith is also even probably worse than lacking in faith. Unfortunately there are also many people who have misplaced faith in their abilities and skill sets. Or they are just to ignorant to understand that what they think is real is illusionary at best. It is a hard reality to face upon realizing you either do not have faith in your skill set or have misplaced faith. Not some thing you wish to experience for the first time in a moment of violence!

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hey Jenna,

The reality is that many people that train in the martial sciences and understand what they are doing do not have faith in their skill sets. Which is no different than athletes who also have to perform under pressure. What differentiates any athletic superstar from say an equally talented athlete in the NBA, NFL, Soccer, etc. Quite often it will go past their work ethic ie. training and knowledge and into the faith the person has in themselves and also their ability to let go and just be in the moment. One only needs to look at any group of martial practitioners talking or yes even on a message board and you will see that some people do not have faith in what they are doing and their own unique skill sets. Faith is essential in any life endeavor once skills, knowledge have been developed.

Misplaced faith is also even probably worse than lacking in faith. Unfortunately there are also many people who have misplaced faith in their abilities and skill sets. Or they are just to ignorant to understand that what they think is real is illusionary at best. It is a hard reality to face upon realizing you either do not have faith in your skill set or have misplaced faith. Not some thing you wish to experience for the first time in a moment of violence!
Faith is not a word I had heard used in this context previously Brian though it is clear you have experience of this as a reality and not just a hypothesis.. thank you for your courtesy and patience Brian in answering.. it makes a great deal of sense Jxx

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I study aikido and the aikido I train is pure aikido. I started aikido to better understand the grappling techniques inherent in karate but not well understood. The karate I train is pure karate, enhanced by the knowledge I acquired from Aikido. When I put the two together and add a bit of Muay Thai, BJJ and combatives, I have Krav Maga.

I don't see any thing wrong taking Japanese jiu jitsu or Aikido being your main art of choice and supplementing it with wing chun or karate as long it does not take away the extra element.

It is like doing wood work in your house using a power saw and nothing wrong using a hand saw too!!! But if you put in hammer where you really want a saw it would not be really want you want.

Spinedoc

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I don't see any thing wrong taking Japanese jiu jitsu or Aikido being your main art of choice and supplementing it with wing chun or karate as long it does not take away the extra element.

It is like doing wood work in your house using a power saw and nothing wrong using a hand saw too!!! But if you put in hammer where you really want a saw it would not be really want you want.

Nothing at all. I cross train my Aikido with Muso Shinden Ryu Iaido. I would echo others however here, and state that you should really have at least 1-2 years with a strong foundation in your "base" art before you cross-train. Trying to learn the absolute basics of separate arts has to much potential to just confuse you.

Mike

Latest Discussions