New Aikido invented for self-defence by Ljubomir Vračarević

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
on the OP I feel that if the techniques in this new system work and can be instructed in a manner that students can understand and immolate then good for the instructor. Why the system is being called Aikido instead of some other title for marketing I still do not understand but that is a different issue. Improvement in Aikido was constantly being observed in the early days of the system as it went from a hard system of compliance to the peaceful gentle system we see today, so I see no reason someone well versed with years of experience trying to add to it

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
on the OP I feel that if the techniques in this new system work and can be instructed in a manner that students can understand and immolate then good for the instructor. Why the system is being called Aikido instead of some other title for marketing I still do not understand but that is a different issue. Improvement in Aikido was constantly being observed in the early days of the system as it went from a hard system of compliance to the peaceful gentle system we see today, so I see no reason someone well versed with years of experience trying to add to it

I'm interested in Aikido and japanese jujutsu and into the more aggressive combat styles. Striking,take downs and more striking,holds,locks and submissions on the ground.

Good striking and blocking.

What would go well with Aikido and japanese jujutsu is karate I say ‪Okinawan Karate‬.

Now this is the level of striking and aggressive fighting I'm talking about!!!

Or Kenpo Karate

If I had to pick Karate I would go with the ‪Okinawan Karate‬.

If a person took Aikido or japanese jujutsu and any of these ‪Karate‬ and put two together, I think they would be more aggressive. And person will be taken down to ground faster.

Than the so many of the Aikido and japanese jujutsu schools that give you a water down version of striking and blocking these days.

Okinawan martial arts - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

The ‪Okinawan Karate‬ video above does look awesome.

And no I'm not into ultra aggressive fighting like sports ,tournaments,MMA, WWF,boxing,bare knuckle fighting and street fighting. That too much aggressive in my book.

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score

oh I will also add this new Aikido is bit more aggressive and faster speed but sill has peaceful gentle feel to it.

It not aggressive combat types.

They say they got school in Flordia? May be check it out.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Drop Bear,

Regardless of your opinion they work very well when the opponent is struck. Though that is just one factor in any application. (other factors like timing, distancing, angles, etc. all play a part as well) Just because a competition allows hitting has no bearing on them working outside of competition in a real world application. They work and I personally do not know a person working in corrections, law enforcement, as a doorman, etc. that has not utilized a come a long technique, standing armbar, wrist control, etc. However, they are a harder skill to apply based on positional leverage with people standing up rather than braced on the ground or against a wall etc. That is why they work better when people are fuzzy from being struck.

sorry. Yes the work better if i am also beating on a guy. But the reason you may see arm locks being more prevalent is not necessarily because you can hit raising the chance of a successful arm lock.

So for me the reason I successfully apply arm locks on people on the street is because i am forced to. Plain and simple.

It is a case where the rules dictate the technique.

Situational defence.

Now the highest success rate for arm locks in my experience is when you have another guy cranking his other arm.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
. Try and broaden your perspective and look at systems other than mma with an open mind.

Demonstrable under resistance is not mma.

Testing a technique with resistance to see if it works is looking at other systems with an open mind.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Here is a very basic joint manipulation turned into a standing armbar and used brutally in a mma competition:
This exact technique is used in Krav's 360 defence. In Aikido we don't normally do over hooks but the arm bar are still performed with the same rotation of the body.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Rory Miller had a DVD out on Joint Locks

I am moving away from this as a concept at Tha moment and instead adopting an almost bjj/wrestling approach where I am gaining a positional advantage and then applying the lock.

So I am trying with my whole body to isolate that arm and position him before i try to get that lock on.

So i can apply restraints because he is already trapped and not so much trying to trap him with the restraint. As such.

And he turned his back big time on that choke escape.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If a person took Aikido or japanese jujutsu and any of these ‪Karate‬ and put two together, I think they would be more aggressive. And person will be taken down to ground faster.
yes, though this would not be Aikido.. it would entirely miss the ethos and core of Aikido completely.. it would be some thing completely other than Aikido. Does this then belong in a discussion about Aikido at all I wonder?

I fear it is either: 1. conceit / ignorance -or- 2. a genuine mastery / martial talent that causes a person to believe they can combine existing arts or otherwise drastically transform an existing art into a new AND BETTER art.. I do not claim to know which is the OP about..
Jx

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
yes, though this would not be Aikido.. it would entirely miss the ethos and core of Aikido completely.. it would be some thing completely other than Aikido. Does this then belong in a discussion about Aikido at all I wonder?

I fear it is either: 1. conceit / ignorance -or- 2. a genuine mastery / martial talent that causes a person to believe they can combine existing arts or otherwise drastically transform an existing art into a new AND BETTER art.. I do not claim to know which is the OP about..
Jx

Yeah.....? He says tentatively.

If i cross trained i would generally be doing that with the intent of combining or drastically altering arts.

But i would be ego stroking if i then created drop bear fu.

there is probably a middle ground there somewhere.

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score

Jx

Any mix art or mix system would not be real pure system. even this new Aikido or any Aikido school that use more hand striking than most school would not be a pure system.

It not really bad. But if person does not like change I can see he or she would not like that.

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score

If i cross trained i would generally be doing that with the intent of combining or drastically altering arts.

If you are talking about kicking or using hand striking so the person puts up his hands to block so you can do a wrist grab than yes. Or a boxer striking like a wild man making a wrist grab harder.

If the kicking or using hand striking is way more to set up for grab than yes but not the core of the fighting.

On the ground they could use striking to hurt to injure the person.

Any other system would be mix system and not a pure system.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score

yes if you cross train then you are doing neither Art X nor Art Y and but instead your own new combination Art XY or YX depending on which constitutes the greater proportion.. and so if this new combination is NOT drop bear fu then what is it you are practicing? Jx

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Any mix art or mix system would not be real pure system. even this new Aikido or any Aikido school that use more hand striking than most school would not be a pure system.

It not really bad. But if person does not like change I can see he or she would not like that.
I study aikido and the aikido I train is pure aikido. I started aikido to better understand the grappling techniques inherent in karate but not well understood. The karate I train is pure karate, enhanced by the knowledge I acquired from Aikido. When I put the two together and add a bit of Muay Thai, BJJ and combatives, I have Krav Maga.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
yes if you cross train then you are doing neither Art X nor Art Y and but instead your own new combination Art XY or YX depending on which constitutes the greater proportion.. and so if this new combination is NOT drop bear fu then what is it you are practicing? Jx

So where does that fall under the concept of conceit/mastery?

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I study aikido and the aikido I train is pure aikido. I started aikido to better understand the grappling techniques inherent in karate but not well understood. The karate I train is pure karate, enhanced by the knowledge I acquired from Aikido. When I put the two together and add a bit of Muay Thai, BJJ and combatives, I have Krav Maga.
having practiced all of those different arts which techniques instinctively (hardcoded muscle memory type instincts etc) come out in a situation where you were forced to defend your self or some one in your care? Jx

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
having practiced all of those different arts which techniques instinctively (hardcoded muscle memory type instincts etc) come out in a situation where you were forced to defend your self or some one in your care? Jx
In honesty it is the combination of your training, not something that you could identify as coming from one particular source.

I teach a truism that you learn a technique, you train the technique, then you forget the technique. When you need it. It is just there. In reality those techniques are probably within all the traditional martial arts (with the exception of some of Chris Parker's more esoteric arts :D ). Using punches, kicks, knees, elbows, locks, holds, throws, takedowns, etc are in Aikido, karate and Krav. They are just trained in different ways with a different emphasis.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In honesty it is the combination of your training, not something that you could identify as coming from one particular source.

I teach a truism that you learn a technique, you train the technique, then you forget the technique. When you need it. It is just there. In reality those techniques are probably within all the traditional martial arts (with the exception of some of Chris Parker's more esoteric arts :D ). Using punches, kicks, knees, elbows, locks, holds, throws, takedowns, etc are in Aikido, karate and Krav. They are just trained in different ways with a different emphasis.
and you find there is never any confusion of technique in what comes instinctively to you in a situation having such a mixture of differing technical responses? Jx

Latest Discussions