Gun kata martial arts- is anyone else a little nervous about this?

Kennedy_Shogen_Ryu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My fear is that there are actually gun nuts out there that will take this seriously and try teaching Gun kata as an actual martial art. *sigh*

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm just having trouble getting my mind around someone taking firearms, the distance weapon par excellance, and using them as the basis of what looks like a substitute for a stick art.

Gun Kata = Arnis, except with Tec-9s insead of sticks...

Nope. Doesn't compute...even as fiction... :erg:

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm just having trouble getting my mind around someone taking firearms, the distance weapon par excellance, and using them as the basis of what looks like a substitute for a stick art.

Gun Kata = Arnis, except with Tec-9s insead of sticks...

Nope. Doesn't compute...even as fiction... :erg:

Meh. The phrase "pistol-whip" has been in the lexicon for about as long as there have been pistols ;)

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Meh. The phrase "pistol-whip" has been in the lexicon for about as long as there have been pistols ;)

True... but that usually takes place in situations where one of 'em has a pistol and the other doesn't. In that kind of situation, pistol-owner can do pretty much whatever. With both of them having pistols—maybe two each??—and getting in close to do hand-to-hand combat while holding a gun in each... c'mon, you gotta admit it's a bit surreal??!! :lol:

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's one of the first things I was taught but it should be common sense( why DO they keep caling it "common sense" any damn way) to begin with: If you are deploying a firearm, even a sidearm, distance is your friend.

Yes, exactly. It's sort of the inverse case of two 18th century guys getting together to have a duel with rapiers, except that instead of dueling, they get on opposite sides of a ravine, and each one throws his rapier at the barely visible other....

... can we get a name for this equally odd method of combat? `Rapier barrage', maybe?....

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
Yes, exactly. It's sort of the inverse case of two 18th century guys getting together to have a duel with rapiers, except that instead of dueling, they get on opposite sides of a ravine, and each one throws his rapier at the barely visible other....

... can we get a name for this equally odd method of combat? `Rapier barrage', maybe?....

Perhaps the Broadsword Boogie......no. No that was bad.

But yeah, I see people do this and to my eyes it's as though I'd given them a chainsaw and now must watch them try to bang nails in with it.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Perhaps the Broadsword Boogie......no. No that was bad.

But yeah, I see people do this and to my eyes it's as though I'd given them a chainsaw and now must watch them try to bang nails in with it.

:lol: Good one, Andy!