Ground Work

runnerninja

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi,

Do any of you do any groundwork in training? We do very little of it but I am also in a MMA club where there is plenty of it.

Draven

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yeah I do but it only makes up about less then half of the grappling we do.

ginny

White Belt
Reaction score
Yeah we do.

Some Thursdays we do nothing else.

We do endurance stuff - then ground work for around 2 hours (not continuous - 30 mins then breaks).

it really makes toy tired, then mondays we focus on something else.

g

Gary Arthur

White Belt
Reaction score
One of the things I like to do is do the Kihon Happo on the ground. For example how can i make Musha dori, Muso dori, ganseki and even hicho work for me in a prone position when someone is trying to knock seven bells out of me.

Garth

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
We explore some basic groundwork as we finish off our techniques. My instructor was a nationally ranked collegiate greco-roman wrestler and has got some really good ground skills. It's somethign he always works into what we do, but his attitude is that in real self-defense, we shouldn't be goi ng for submissions or pins, but eliminating the threat and getting to our feet/out of the situation.

Peace,
Erik

ginny

White Belt
Reaction score
hello

same here bluekey88.

We finish of the technique - being realistic in a real fight one on one its great for this - but for a gang fight don't ever end up on the floor as you will get stamped on!

g

OP
R

runnerninja

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Gray Arthur, I like that idea of Kihon Happo on the ground. Think I'll have a play with it.

Bluekey & Ginny I realise in real life going to the ground is not ideal but if I found myself in that situation I would like to be best prepared for it. Mind you I wouldnt be going for a tap!!!

Anyway, I was just curious. Cheers for the responses.

nitflegal

Green Belt
Reaction score
One of the things I like to do is do the Kihon Happo on the ground. For example how can i make Musha dori, Muso dori, ganseki and even hicho work for me in a prone position when someone is trying to knock seven bells out of me.

Garth

Shidoshi Leon Drucker had a session exactly on that (kihon happo on the ground) at Warrior Camp. It was quite illuminating, despite the fact that I was having a tough time getting my brain wrapped around it.

Matt

OP
R

runnerninja

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yeah sounds like it would take a bit of getting used to.

Do you know of any youtube clips or somewhere I can get a few ideas from?

Hudson69

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I got beat up on by one of my old instructors a few times but it was a set up; I laid on the ground and gave up my arm so that it could be locked out. It only went as far as what some of the locks looked and felt like and that was only one of a handful of times we did anything on the ground.

BBT seems to have a fairly weak ground game, at least up to 1st Dan, so it is probably good that you have a MMA school to use for more practical training.

ElfTengu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
MMA will hugely increase your ability on the ground but try to absorb the principles into your nastiest taijutsu rather than changing your entire art as soon as a fight goes to the ground, because of the sports aspects and subsequent limitations will be a problem otherwise.

Training against MMA and BJJ cross-trainers is also good for your taijutsu because they will exploit openings that we often don't take into consideration.

In my experience most taijutsu practitioners consider the fight to be virtually over when an opponent is taken to the ground, and often don't bother tidying up or finishing off, as the focus is on avoiding the intial attack and taking them down, but in the mindset of the modern grappler the point at which many of us consider the fight over is to them the 'beginning' of the fight proper. This was struck home to me recently when
I performed what we had been practicing with aplomb, but when I went to finish I left an arm outstretched for a split second and my uke, considerably junior to me in taijutsu but a cross-trainer in BJJ, had me locked in one of those upside-down armbars before I could react.

Something I now try to do is not throw uke onto their back or allow them to roll onto their back, because a lot of these young chaps will go quite willingly into what they call the 'guard' and you follow them to the floor at your peril if you allow them this advantage.

Kind of bizarre when you consider the rules of Olympic judo, where exposing your back is fine but being rolled onto your back (into 'guard') indicates a loss.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Kind of bizarre when you consider the rules of Olympic judo, where exposing your back is fine but being rolled onto your back (into 'guard') indicates a loss.
One of the big knocks against the olympic ruleset is that it encourages judoka to turtle up and stall in an exposed position. The only person who has really used turtle as an offensive position is Eduardo Telles, and the self defense applications of the "turtle guard and "octopus guard" are questionable at best.

Between the carnage that the olympics have had on TKD and Judo, there is a very good argument against campaigning for BJJ to be added even as a demonstration sport in 2016. :)

SocorroLDM

White Belt
Reaction score
Swari-Gata and Ne Waza are the terms used for ground work in Taijutsu(Ninjutsu). All dojos should practice some ground work so that a student is comfortable on the the ground as well as standing.

bwindussa

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
We used to do a fair amount of groundwork. Like starting in a kneeling posture with your opponent either standing or kneeling. We also used to play a lot of games that didn't allow standing (rolling tag, etc..). I don't know if this type of stuff is used now but it was a lot of fun and I learned a LOT about rebounding and how to operate in unusual body positions.

Brad

emiliozapata

Green Belt
Reaction score
actually in judo the "guard" does not equate to a loss because a pin is not counted if you have your opponent ensnared in your legs. judo pins are more akin to bjj side mount or north/south positions

Krevon

White Belt
Reaction score
Nearly any technique done standing can be done on the ground. During randori it happens quite a bit.

Latest Discussions