knife on the ground

green man

White Belt
Reaction score
With respect to the idea of balanced training for all possible situations, and to that ubiquitous common-knowledge assertion that "XX percent of all fights (usually 90) end up on the ground," I gotta say this:

Realistically speaking, the *last place in the world* you want to be is on the ground when the other guy's got a weapon, especially a knife. And it doesn't change things if you've got one too. All the knife training I've received has been based in the school of thought that you're dealing with multiple opponents - you want to spend the least amoung of time tied up with any one of them as possible, and constant mobility is paramount to your survival.

!!Mobility is exactly what you sacrifice by going to the ground with someone - not only can you not run away if things go bad, but you can't dodge or outflank his weapon, and even if you get him under control, you are SOL if one of your opponents' buddies wants to gang up on you while you're screwing around with him. While there's a lot of value in ground work, for a situation in the real world, all it takes is adding one more attacker for your day to get very bad, very fast.

With the exception of techniques or situations where you retain control of both your opponent *and* the weapon as you go to the ground, if you wind up tangled with him on the ground and he's got the weapon, you've got to assume that you have about half a second to either take him out, get the weapon, or get out of there, or you are F***ED.

- Just my humble opinion.:asian:

(Not to detract from the main point, but in my mind, ground training should not encourage a person to go to the ground in the first place, but should focus on taking out the opponent and getting back up in a minimum amount of time. Any ground training in which you don't approach it with the possibility of multiple attackers, but feel comfortable sitting there all day with an opponent in your guard is training for an ideal situation, and to say the least, that's not good.)

Latest Discussions