CMA Grappling

CMack11

Orange Belt
Reaction score
It was a blast! There were only 6 of us there, so we got a lot of hands-on. It's amazing how good sifu McDaniel and Wade (the other instructor there)were. We did a pretty cool randori against Wade at the end that quite a bit of fun. We got to try our submissions against him while he was working against us.

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
CMack11 said:
It was a blast! There were only 6 of us there, so we got a lot of hands-on. It's amazing how good sifu McDaniel and Wade (the other instructor there)were. We did a pretty cool randori against Wade at the end that quite a bit of fun. We got to try our submissions against him while he was working against us.
Thats cool, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Did you guys work on takedowns and then ground, or shooting to the ground, or what?

7sm

CMack11

Orange Belt
Reaction score
No, just straight groundwork. Just the basics:

The guard and passing the guard
Reversing the mount
Moving from half guard to guard

And then some submissions--armbar and armbar escape, Rear choke and rear choke escape, and the keylock.

I

Isrephael

Black Tiger Fist said:
My sifu doesn't feel he can be taken down by anyone!

That sounds like an advanced technique of the ever-popular Hubris-Fu.

I

Isrephael

7starmantis said:
I'm curious how many CMA-ist here spend time on groundwork, or "grappling".
7sm

Our Kwoon spends an hour a night, a third of our training, working prone Chin Na/BJJ. It is, without a doubt, my least favorite part of our training. However, I fully recognize the need for it, and make myself commit to learning it. After all, however unpleasant it is to train the stuff, it's far more unpleasant when actually applied on the street.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Isrephael said:
That sounds like an advanced technique of the ever-popular Hubris-Fu.
Or possibly the chance he never has been taken down in a grappling situation. Therefore, he feels he can't because no one has ever tried or no one has ever succeeded.

Latest Discussions