ground work

Danzer

White Belt
Reaction score
I run a small TKD school and was wondering if anyone includes any groundwork in their training. I am always worried about being blindsided and finding myself on the ground.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I run a small TKD school and was wondering if anyone includes any groundwork in their training. I am always worried about being blindsided and finding myself on the ground.

I don't know what your expecations and goals are for your TKD training, but I think including ground work is a great idea. We do quite a bit of ground work in my TKD class. In fact, above and beyond the organizational requirements my teacher requires takedowns and submissions for each testing.

Every six weeks we have an organization-wide Black Belt workout, and we did a little groundwork this morning as part of the workout.

Last year we had a workout with Dan Severn at his gym. We did a lot of takedown and submission work that morning!

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think you would be well advised to get some serious training in that area. Whatever you do do not think that your skills from Tae Kwon Do translate and that you do not need instruction. Learn from somebody and then as time goes on work it into your program. Good luck!
icon6.gif

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We have always included some ground work with the TKD training and as Brian has said make sure you have someone qualify to teach it as well