Graded tonight...tired now!

swiftpete

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well I had my black belt test tonight. Instructor decided to test me along with 2 other lads. All of us high graded. I didn't know it was going to be tonight, but once I knew what was going on I did feel a bit nervous as wasn't really sure what to expect. Did mostly energy training, blindfold stuff etc. For some of it I had to spar against 1 of the black belts hard while he could see and i couldn't, then everyone in the class at once while blind. (not full speed)
Plus loads of other stuff. In my class grades are free, given when my teacher thinks we're ready.
Quite coolly it was recorded with a camcorder so i got to see myself afterwards, I don't look too bad on film either which was pretty cool and a bit of a surprise!
Didn't get blackbelt though, but I've been graded to 1st kyu now so I'm getting there I guess.

Not sure how i feel now. Happy in some ways, a bit disappointed in myself in other ways.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
swiftpete said:
Didn't get blackbelt though, but I've been graded to 1st kyu now so I'm getting there I guess.

Not sure how i feel now. Happy in some ways, a bit disappointed in myself in other ways.

Sounds like you did okay. Why were you disappointed? What were your strengths and weaknesses that you noticed? What can you do better for the next time?

- Ceicei

OP
swiftpete

swiftpete

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I managed to stay fairly relaxed and composed throughout which was the thing that I was pleased about. It's hard to say what's got to change really though, in my class we have a lot of intention/energy training and when you can feel peoples intention and give it then its a good thing, unfortunately its not really the sort of thing that you can just do, like you can when you're practicing a technique. Takes time and focus and all that stuff.
But I'm definitely getting better than i was. I think now I've had a bit more chance to think about it I'm happy really, I wouldn't have wanted a grade if i wasn't 100% about it in my head, so i think it was the right decision. I was pumped up from 3rd to 1st so my instructor must think i've improved so i'm not really bothered, just pumped up to carry on training!

I mean belts aren't the be all and end all anyway, its just good to know you're getting better.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Do not be disappointed...your teacher let you test...most likely because he wanted to see how you will do. He knows you are almost ready. The black belt testing is not only base on the test..but also on how your training has been coming along.

Brown to black color now? ...will you be a different person? or a different fighter? ....people do not change because of the color of the belt. (some do get bigger heads).

Enjoy the training...your time will come..........Aloha

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congratulations swiftpete on a job well done. Sounds like you stepped up when you needed to. You should be proud. :)

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
Way to go bud. Just keep pounding at it and enjoy the moment. A BB is only as good as the person wearing it. So take advantage of the time your instructor has given you to learn even more. GAMBATTE

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think you must have done well to get ranked as 1st . You may not have got the black but you where allowed to test for it which shows that your instructor has faith in your abilities. Congradulations on doing a good job and be sure the next time you will do even better and get that black belt.

OP
swiftpete

swiftpete

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's responses! Waking up this morning I feel pretty good about it now!

:)

Latest Discussions