Status
Not open for further replies.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
ATTENTION ALL USERS:

Please return to the original topic. Please keep the conversation polite & respectful.

Jim Sheeran
jks9199
Asst. Administrator

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No one said that there isn't MMA outside of America or that there isn't quality MMA outside of America. Besides, the UFC may be run by an American company, but it's truly an international organization. Events have been held on 6 continents and more countries than I can remember. There are fighters from all over the world on the roster. And right now there are 3 Brazilian champs, 3 Americans, and a Canadian.

It's all in how you say it. Instead of sitting down to have a civil conversation, you go on the attack. I make one small, innocent comment and you immediately come back with a snarky reply. In every thread I've posted in, you have gone out of your way to single out the things that I've said that you don't like, while never replying to anything I've said with something positive to say. You've certainly never gone out of your way to say, "Oh, I agree" or "That's a good point." But if you see an opportunity to bear your fangs and try to cause trouble, you take it.

That's the TONE of the thread? And yet, in the first two replies there's one joking comment about a fighter being cute amongst paragraphs of technique assessment/critique and general praise.

And for the record, I don't see a problem with thinking that a female is attractive and saying so. Plenty of female martial artists, like Michelle Waterson, Miesha Tate, Cynthia Rothrock, Gina Carano and Kyra Gracie have been more than happy to show off what they got, so if they don't have a problem with it, then I definitely don't.

I don't know why you think my posts are 'snarky' whatever that means, I reply to your posts in the vein you post, you seem to have decided to have a downer on certain things here and express your disdain for them, when called on it you accuse me of being the one on the attack. You don't like me ( or others) disagreeing with you....and why should I agree with you if I don't?

If you had actually read what I said...for a change...I said if you find a woman attractive say so. I'm not the only one who commented about calling 'girls cute' but you choose to attack me, interesting.

I would suggest the aggression you are projecting on me is your own, I've not attacked you in any post, if you see it as that and I remind you I have replied in the same vein you have posted, perhaps your posts are in fact aggressive. If you don't appreciate straight talking and honesty I'm afraid I can't do anything other than wonder why you came here all guns blazing at people.

OP
S

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
^^^ Well we left things on a conciliatory note in the other thread, so I figured we were cool.

In any case, the mods clearly want us to discuss something else so I'll be dropping the matter for now.

RobinTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ah, but I think the last 3ish minutes are the best!

Thanks for your assessment. I'll go back and watch it again with all of that in mind.

With all respect to Cyriacus, hie criticism of the reverse turning kick is in some ways justified, but not for ITF sparring. In competitions they spar light/medium contact, there aren't any 'finishing' moves because if you KO'd someone you would more than likely be disqualified (at worse) or deducted points (at best) for excessive contact. It's why i don't enter competitions, and when we spar at class, it is mostly full contact. I'd like to see the ITF and WTF rulesets merged so we could have full contact sparring with punching to the head, and with a useful guard.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
With all respect to Cyriacus, hie criticism of the reverse turning kick is in some ways justified, but not for ITF sparring. In competitions they spar light/medium contact, there aren't any 'finishing' moves because if you KO'd someone you would more than likely be disqualified (at worse) or deducted points (at best) for excessive contact. It's why i don't enter competitions, and when we spar at class, it is mostly full contact. I'd like to see the ITF and WTF rulesets merged so we could have full contact sparring with punching to the head, and with a useful guard.
With all respect, I didnt mean it like that. What I mean, is that Reverse Turning Kick just isnt very useful as something to just throw out. You know how You can just do a Straight Punch, or Front Kick, or Side Kick, just as a General Strike? Theres a reason You dont stand around going Reverse Turning Kick > Reverse Turning Kick > Reverse Turning Kick. It isnt a Primary Strike.
I used to do Semi-Contact Sparring, incase You arent aware, under the ITF.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And has it occurred to you that America is in the world? Has it occurred to you that the admonishment you're so quick to use when ballen paints with a broad brush applies equally to you? Honestly, it's the blind spot you have towards America that I take issue with. It's the double standard you apply.

I'm pretty darned American, but I like everything I know about your BJJ/MMA scene over there. I correspond regularly with guys who train and/or run BJJ schools in the UK and would LOVE to go over there to meet them in person. I think your healthcare system, warts and all, is WAY better than our own here and I'd support a single payer system without hesitation. But you don't see that.

I've read nothing on this site to suggest that anyone believes your MMA or martial arts in general are inferior in any way. If I am, I will gladly admit it. But I believe that it's telling that you aren't disputing any assertion I've made. Instead, you put it back on me. But the truth is, I don't have a problem admitting when I'm wrong. I'm wrong frequently and will gladly admit so publicly. Are you seriously telling me that I'm not bothered by your posts? Huh. How would you react if I told you that you weren't actually bothered by my use of the term "cute?" You THINK you're bothered, but you really aren't. Doesn't make much sense. Does it? Perhaps. And perhaps that was a thinly veiled personal insult. Not just because of this. In fact, not because of this at all. I'm talking about a pattern of behavior that spans all of the forums. A bigotry toward Americans that leeches into every thread. If several people consistently misread your posts, perhaps, just maybe, you can take a moment to look at how YOU post. Maybe? The tone of this thread, to me... until you started brandishing your anti-American baton... was that some TKD Martial Artists are cute girls. And has been explained to you several times, which you refuse to acknowledge, is that no one meant any of this in a pejorative manner. And I and others have, even after explaining this, acknowledged that we'd be more sensitive in the future. But you won't let it go. It's just another opportunity to bash us. And as I said before, my threshold for it is getting lower all the time.

You will always see what I say in the wrong way I doubt there's anything I will ever say that will please you or even appease you. You are determined to see what I write in they way that you wish, I can tell you till I'm blue in the face that you read what I write the wrong way but you will never believe me. You constantly conider what I write to be what you think it means rather than what it does mean. There's never going to be a point when you say 'ah I see what she means', to you it's always 'oh she's anti American' when there's nothing further from the truth, you see it as anti American, fine, there's nothing I can say to make you see otherwise especially when what I write isn't even addressed to you. You are determined to make this personal, against me, you don't even have a go at fellow Americans when some of their posts are flagrantly anti American, one recently said Americans hate anyone that isn't like them, I didn't think it was true but perhaps it is. No no one has been 'sensitive' at all because of anything I've said, any tongue in cheek comment I've made is usually replied to with a similiar tongue in cheek comment except yours, yours are always laced with indignation and paranoia that I'm disrespecting you and your country. Actually I'm not but heyho you will always think I am. I may have a go at a poster if I disagree but for the life of me I don't see how you imagine this is an attack on America? If I said the UK was the home of 'proper' karate, that no one did it the way it should be done except us, that we had the biggest and the best karateka in the whole world what would you say? Yes I can imagine. You'd point out all the other countries who do karate, all the other comps etc and that the UK wasn't the centre of the world. Now would that be a reply to me or an attack on the UK?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
And this is what you do every time. Instead of attacking me, you could try an apology. Would go a long way.

Sent using Tapatalk. Please ignore typos.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
This discussion needs a Third Party to try and clarify you two, because you both obviously believe youre in the right, and the other in the wrong. Those types of discussions never end well.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This discussion needs a Third Party to try and clarify you two, because you both obviously believe youre in the right, and the other in the wrong. Those types of discussions never end well.

Of course they don't, we've been here and done this all before. I don't actually believe Steve is 'in the wrong', I believe he has taken what I say to mean something it doesn't and thinks I'm insulting him and his country. I can't do anything about his understanding of what I wrote if he won't take it the way I mean it to be. I can't rephrase it, I've tried before, I 've tried explaining but still it's taken the wrong way. All I can do is shrug and say well I tried and I have despite some quite personal attacks on me I've haven't called him names or actually got mad. If he insists I've insulted him and his country when I haven't I doubt there's anything anyone can do other than we don't talk.

My position is that the UFC is what it is huge, expensive and show business, the fact there's UFC shows in different countries doesn't mean it's the best in the world, it's the biggest. There's McDonalds in nearly every city in the world but it will never be fine dining and win Michelin stars, it is what it is, the UFC is what it is...the McDonalds of MMA, it's succesful, attracts a certain type and makes money, what more is there to say.

Others have said the same as I, yet more is read into it when I say it, perhaps people shouldn't weigh me down with their expectations.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
It takes two people to argue, and I'll gladly apologize for my part in this.

Tez, if you spent half as much time trying to make yourself clear instead of posting what you think I or others misunderstood about your posts, we'd have little issue. You aren't competent to interpret my posts. The only person's posts you are competent to explain or clarify are your own.

RobinTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
With all respect, I didnt mean it like that. What I mean, is that Reverse Turning Kick just isnt very useful as something to just throw out. You know how You can just do a Straight Punch, or Front Kick, or Side Kick, just as a General Strike? Theres a reason You dont stand around going Reverse Turning Kick > Reverse Turning Kick > Reverse Turning Kick. It isnt a Primary Strike.
I used to do Semi-Contact Sparring, incase You arent aware, under the ITF.

I agree that I'd never throw one out just to 'test the waters' so to speak, but if you see an opening? From that video I'd say it's hard for us to see exactly what the fighter could see as he was blocking our view of the other guy (if that makes sense?). Seems to me that in semi contact sparring, spinning kicks very rarely go to plan anyway so even if you do see an opening to use one, you'd better be backed up with a counter measure, and I'd say that the guy followed with some nice punches.

OP
S

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score

So basically what you're saying is that you have to set it up . . . be sneaky about it . . . slip it in when your opponent is distracted by something else and not expecting it.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This thread is " Cute" and so is everyone who posted!!! Happy New Year!!!! I Love London. Looking forward to my next visit.

The state of Washington is also pretty cool!

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Administrator's Note:

Thread locked, pending review.

Ronald Shin
MT Assistant Administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.