Getting up in martial arts

• Thread starter Deleted member 39746
  • Start date

nigebj

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

And you can pop out of guard using this.
Yep - that one. Especially not allowing them near, or tilting your head down as most people do to get up. Back rolls very dangerous if the attacker is fast, and/or there are others present. Goes without saying you need to be situationally aware, as to what is behind you, as well as keeping eyes on the attacker.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We spend a lot of time on the ground (being thrown, or doing ground work), so we have a lot of opportunity to practice how we get up.
I just wanted to point out that there is a difference between having the opportunity to practice a technique and actually practicing a technique. While there are a lot of arts that put one or both people on the ground, giving them the opportunity to practice getting up... I would not say that all schools actually practice getting up. If you do not actually attack the guy trying to get up or attack the guy who threw you after that technique is over... you are not actually practicing getting up even though you have the opportunity to do so.

Note: Gerry, I am definitely not picking on your practice, as it does sound a lot like you do practice getting up. Your wording just brought that thought to my head...

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is one way to get back up in MA. You vibrate your body like a fish.

I learned that technique under the name “kip up”. I think it’s cool for developing athleticism and body control, but not a particularly safe way to getting up in a fight when you have an attacker standing over you trying to keep you down.

I wonder if I can still do a kip up? It’s probably been well over a decade since I did one.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I learned that technique under the name “kip up”. I think it’s cool for developing athleticism and body control, but not a particularly safe way to getting up in a fight when you have an attacker standing over you trying to keep you down.
The get up that I like is:

- Put both hands on the right side of my body when I left side kick at my opponent's knee (remain distance).
- I pull back my left kick, and land on my left foot.
- I then push up my upper body with both hands, pull my right leg back, and stand back up.

get_back_up.jpg

It's similar to this clip (at 2.10). But I like to push up with both hands, and slide back my bottom non-kicking leg instead of my upper kicking leg.

Last edited:

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The get up that I like is:

- Put both hands on the right side of my body when I left side kick at my opponent's knee (remain distance).
- I pull back my left kick, and land on my left foot.
- I then push up my upper body with both hands, pull my right leg back, and stand back up.

View attachment 27153

It's similar to this clip (at 2.10). But I like to push up with both hands, and slide back my bottom non-kicking leg instead of my upper kicking leg.

Either one support hand or two can be valid depending on your opponent’s position. Two hands allows you to be slightly faster, but doesn’t protect your head if someone is close enough to hit or kick you. I teach the one hand version first and later show the exceptions where two hands might be preferable.

The footwork you describe can work, but I find it less efficient than the approach shown in the video.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Either one support hand or two can be valid depending on your opponent’s position. Two hands allows you to be slightly faster, but doesn’t protect your head if someone is close enough to hit or kick you. I teach the one hand version first and later show the exceptions where two hands might be preferable.

The footwork you describe can work, but I find it less efficient than the approach shown in the video.
This is why I like to use the upper leg side kick. It gives me longer reach. If my side kick can reach to my opponent's knee (or belly), his hand won't be able to reach to my head. I don't need to use one hand to protect my head at that moment.

After my 1st side kick, I can rotate my body and throw my 2nd side kick (this kick can give me even more reach). At the same time, I can push my body off the ground.

ground_side_kick.jpg

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to point out that there is a difference between having the opportunity to practice a technique and actually practicing a technique. While there are a lot of arts that put one or both people on the ground, giving them the opportunity to practice getting up... I would not say that all schools actually practice getting up. If you do not actually attack the guy trying to get up or attack the guy who threw you after that technique is over... you are not actually practicing getting up even though you have the opportunity to do so.

Note: Gerry, I am definitely not picking on your practice, as it does sound a lot like you do practice getting up. Your wording just brought that thought to my head...
Yep. I start students off with a focus on how they get up from formal bow, exercises, and just getting up from a throw. Then we occasionally put some time into working from the ground to our feet in different situations.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I teach the one-hand version as the foudation. There are some few times when two are preferable. In many cases, if I can't keep one hand for defense, I'd rather stay on the ground (fight from knees) and have that protection until I can get a better opportunity.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I teach the one-hand version as the foudation. There are some few times when two are preferable. In many cases, if I can't keep one hand for defense, I'd rather stay on the ground (fight from knees) and have that protection until I can get a better opportunity.
I like the side way 2 hands position for the following reasons:

- My groin area is protected from my opponent's dropping knee.
- My upper leg has maximum reach.
- I can generate maximum speed and power by rotating my body from one side to the other side.

In this clip, the bottom leg is pulling back before stand up.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I like the side way 2 hands position for the following reasons:

- My groin area is protected from my opponent's dropping knee.
- My upper leg has maximum reach.
- I can generate maximum speed and power by rotating my body from one side to the other side.

In this clip, the bottom leg is pulling back before stand up.

So, the guy in the white belt (doing the takedown) gets up fine. He faces his opponent and gets up on balance and in a manner that he can defend himself. To me, he is doing a one handed get up, even though he touches the ground with the right hand... he is not actually using it to stand up. (it does not touch on the second time...)

My issue is with the guy in the blue belt. He gets taken down, he rolls to face his opponent, and continues to roll so that he gives his back to his opponent and is not even looking at his opponent as he gets up. He does not ever refocus on his opponent until after he fixes his uniform.

The guy in the blue belt should do the first part of his roll, to face his opponent, with his feet between himself and his opponent, but not continue to roll through. He should keep his focus on his opponent and do the same get up that the guy in the white belt is doing, all the time, focused on his opponent. Only after they are both up and disengaged, should he straighten his uniform.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is a bunch of stuff I have been playing with at the moment.

Latest Discussions