Getting up in martial arts

• Thread starter Deleted member 39746
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 39746

Was just thinking about it, what are the diffrent ways of getting back up in martial arts, and what ways are taught in which ones? If they are really even "taught".

Seems to be overlooked, especially given there is still bio mechnics that must be applied and some people use martial arts more to learn bio mechnics.

the best i have done is try to do and learn one out of one of the defendu manuals which seems like it works fine, i could get up fairly fast if i wanted to off it. (and im not exactly that mobile) the only other one i have seen is shiv works get up in stages, but cant say i have tried to learn that or been taught it, i havent really looked the subject up beyond just seeing them included in places i have looked.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Was just thinking about it, what are the diffrent ways of getting back up in martial arts, and what ways are taught in which ones? If they are really even "taught".

Seems to be overlooked, especially given there is still bio mechnics that must be applied and some people use martial arts more to learn bio mechnics.

the best i have done is try to do and learn one out of one of the defendu manuals which seems like it works fine, i could get up fairly fast if i wanted to off it. (and im not exactly that mobile) the only other one i have seen is shiv works get up in stages, but cant say i have tried to learn that or been taught it, i havent really looked the subject up beyond just seeing them included in places i have looked.
I don't like either of the techniques shown in Defendu for getting up from the ground. The one were you do a backward roll over your shoulders from a fully prone position is too athletic for most people (especially me!). The other technique, while better, has you turning your back to your upright opponent. You are staring at the ground, with your back exposed. Offhand, I can't think of what technique you are referring to from Shivworks. can you post a video?

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The first technique shown in this video is an improvement over the technique shown in Defendu. You are posting on one arm, and using the other to block/shield while sliding your lower leg behind you, or using it to kick. You can get decent power in your kick from this position. You will see similar techniques and kicks in Silat and Kuntao. I haven't done the other techniques in the video, they seem to be workable techniques for the opportunities presented

OP
D

Deleted member 39746

I don't like either of the techniques shown in Defendu for getting up from the ground. The one were you do a backward roll over your shoulders from a fully prone position is too athletic for most people (especially me!). The other technique, while better, has you turning your back to your upright opponent. You are staring at the ground, with your back exposed. Offhand, I can't think of what technique you are referring to from Shivworks. can you post a video?
Not really a technique, more just getting up in stages. (each stage he does could be considered his "technique" though)

i think its explained here. (thats the vid i watched on it anyway)

As for defendu, i normally get up using one arm anyway, and i can see how the sort of roll over and use your arm to prop you up, if learnt could be effective at getting you up, it seems pretty fast once you get the knack. Under fire so to speak is another matter, im under belief that maybe the defendu getting up movements arent meant to be done while opposed. And getting up while opposed is obviously longer and more arduious. this is just milling on the matter as i posted this reply. Its not really so much if they are effective in my eyes, they are the only ones i have seen.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Under fire so to speak is another matter, im under belief that maybe the defendu getting up movements arent meant to be done while opposed.
Umm, if the techniques are only meant to be done unopposed, why not just sit up? whole lot less stressful and doesn't take ANY training to do so. Besides, why would the instructions clearly state "Further, having arrived at the position shown in fig 203, and your opponent is behind you" if this technique is meant to be done unopposed?

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Just so other people can follow along.

Attachments

• 20210817_090750.jpg
    20210817_090750.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 108
  • 20210817_090756.jpg
    20210817_090756.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 119
  • 20210817_090807.jpg
    20210817_090807.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 111
  • 20210817_090810.jpg
    20210817_090810.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 122

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree that getting back to your feet is overlooked a lot in martial arts training. We get up similar to the first example in the BJJ video above.

When I teach people to get up, I go over the basic principles. They are the same as when you are standing. Face your opponent, you never want to give him your back. Keep your weapons between you and your opponent, in this case, your feet and hands. Its a stance change, and just like any stance change, if you do it in the wrong time or place, you are in trouble. While it is better to be on your feet than on your back... it is better to be conscious on your back than to be unconscious on your back because you stood up into a knee... Always, keep on balance as you get up.

The biggest issue I see with teaching people to get back up, is that we only do it during the lesson about getting to your feet. Then we go practice throws or takedowns and help each other up or ignore the bad habits used to get up. I see people all the time, many who have a ton of martial arts experience and who even teach how to get up correctly themselves.... be thrown a hip throw, and then just sit up, back to the thrower and get to their feet. In my class, if I throw someone and they just sit up, back to me... I drop and choke them, or kick them in the back... Every time you get back up, you need to do a good stand up, whether you are practicing standups or not. If you do this enough, it will become your habit... You will respond how you train. If you train to immediately sit up, back to your opponent after a throw... thats what you will do when it counts.

I teach my class to train the opposite side as well. After throwing uke, do not help him up. Many people have trained BJJ or MMA or wrestling... Out of respect for their skill, or possible skill on the ground, after the throw you exit in a safe direction, still focused on uke, ready to respond if uke attacks. This actually seems to make practice a little more alive. When you are uke, if you don't get up correctly, you will be attacked again. As uke, you are also looking for tori to drop his focus too soon, and then you get to attack. On tori's side, you are practicing your take down, and your focus and if uke gives an opening, you continue your attack... or if uke attacks your opening, you need to respond. This is of course ramped up and down depending on the capabilities of the people training. But there are quite a few times where ogoshi practice leads to some impromptu scrambles because someone dropped their focus and took a short cut. The part I think is really good is that you may have just done 9 techniques in a row with perfect focus, then when you least expect it, uke attacks back, because for that brief moment, you relaxed to early. I find it is a way to train to deal with sudden unexpected turns.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Bjj do a technical stand up. Which is basically the same as the versions shown.

And you can pop out of guard using this.

Otherwise folk wrestling has a few good options. Especially from back takes.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't see it as overlooked. I can't think of a school I've been to, except boxing/kickboxing specific gyms (where they teach just what's relevant for the sport), where they did not teach some sort of technical standup. Most styles teach something similar-protect your head, create space/ensure you have space, be aware of surroundings, keep a hand up while you try to defend, and stand into some sort of stance. Try to do all of that as quickly as possible.

There's variations, but it seems to be consistent in the arts that I've practiced.

OP
D

Deleted member 39746

Umm, if the techniques are only meant to be done unopposed, why not just sit up? whole lot less stressful and doesn't take ANY training to do so. Besides, why would the instructions clearly state "Further, having arrived at the position shown in fig 203, and your opponent is behind you" if this technique is meant to be done unopposed?
I may be mis rembering this, its been a few years since i have bothered looking at get tough i think it was or since trying it.

But, they could just be seconds away from being on you, to where you need to refine and master getting up to cut as much time out the process as possible. Lack of wording on my part, but its time critical none the less, i think that would be fair to agree upon.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I may be mis rembering this, its been a few years since i have bothered looking at get tough i think it was or since trying it.

But, they could just be seconds away from being on you, to where you need to refine and master getting up to cut as much time out the process as possible. Lack of wording on my part, but its time critical none the less, i think that would be fair to agree upon.
Either there is a potential threat near by or there is not, that we can agree on. What I cannot conceive is how you could think any martial art or combatives instructor would have some secret way to get up from the ground if their is no opponent nearby. As a Canadian, I have slipped and fallen on ice way more than I have been pushed down or thrown by an attacker. While it might be a perfect opportunity to practice my bankroll, I just put my hands down and push off the ground. Been a martial artist for 38 years, have definitely used my breakfall skills to prevent being injured while falling, have never felt the need to form a shield with my arms and check my ability to kick after slipping on an icy surface.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Mosts styles of Martial Arts I've trained included getting back up to your feet. Can't remember it in boxing, though.

We used to do a lot of exercises throughout our classes. Everyone just dropping down for fifty quick pushups or sit-ups. When whoever was leading the class said "get up" people got up like they just sat on the sun. It was a race between everybody. From day one training as a white belt to as far as you went as a black belt. It was ingrained, and it never mattered how tired you were. It did matter if you thought you hurt something, but other than that, get your butt up.

We also studied and practiced every conceivable way in which to get up, as well as get down (taking cover) It was always just part of class. Always practiced it in Jits, too.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That is the one they taught us

Yeah. That is the starter basic concept. And gets more complex from there when someone is trying to hold you down and hit you.

There is a whole bunch of tricks for getting a guy on the ground as well. Including not putting your head forwards to get up kicked.

And that is without having to deal with things like soccer kicks.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
what are the diffrent ways of getting back up in martial arts, and what ways are taught in which ones? If they are really even "taught".
If your opponent has thrown you down on the ground over and over, your body will become a bouncing ball, The moment your body touches on the ground, the moment your body will get back up.

If someone throws you down, you can bounce back up.

bounce_back_up.gif

If you throw someone down, you can roll and get back up.

Last edited:

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If someone throws you down, you can bounce back up.

bounce_back_up.gif
This is what I am talking about. This shows an experienced martial artist getting up with his back to his attacker. He gets thrown, and immediately sits up, with his back to the guy who threw him. He cannot see what is coming and he cannot defend himself. Yes, he "bounces right back up very fast..." Watch the guy who threw him take 3 steps and then pause, before he gets ups. Instead of taking those 3 steps, he could have taken his back for a choke, kicked him in the back or spine or kicked his head. In my class, if you sit up like that, with your back to the guy who threw you, you do get choked, hit and or kicked.

OP
D

Deleted member 39746

One of the issues here is, most sports reset you, so you dont really need to sorry about getting up fast, because even if you are grounded and in a bind when the timer ends, they reset you and stand you up. (or continue from position after rest)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bjj do a technical stand up. Which is basically the same as the versions shown.

And you can pop out of guard using this.

Otherwise folk wrestling has a few good options. Especially from back takes.

I teach basically the technical stand-up. @Tony Dismukes improved my understanding of what I was doing when I visited with him a couple of years ago.

We also practice just getting up different ways defensively. So, things like:
  • not using a hand when in a position where it's not needed (which also challenges balance, so is good for long-term development)
  • not turning the back on wherever the threat is (sometimes artificially changing this to see what else needs to change)
  • getting up through someone trying to punch (shield and drive to clinch)
  • getting up from kneeling (a lot of folks come in without the ability to do this without putting one or both hands down)
  • getting up from the end of a roll (front and back) and getting eyes on threat (front roll ends with your back to them)
We spend a lot of time on the ground (being thrown, or doing ground work), so we have a lot of opportunity to practice how we get up.

Latest Discussions