Friend of TKD

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'll second that.

My teacher left Korea in 1968 for America because of the push for sport way back in the 1960's. Sport TKD has become what it was pressed for it to become. In my instructor's words, "Leaving Korea in 1968 meant I escaped the tremendous pressure to throw away everything I knew, join the ITF or WTF, teach only new made-up forms with Korean labels, and stress how to win trophies at tournaments."

I'm glad that some instructors out there understand that there is a difference between sport and art. Keep up the good work.

R. McLain

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
rmclain said:
I'll second that.

My teacher left Korea in 1968 for America because of the push for sport way back in the 1960's. Sport TKD has become what it was pressed for it to become. In my instructor's words, "Leaving Korea in 1968 meant I escaped the tremendous pressure to throw away everything I knew, join the ITF or WTF, teach only new made-up forms with Korean labels, and stress how to win trophies at tournaments."

I'm glad that some instructors out there understand that there is a difference between sport and art. Keep up the good work.

R. McLain
Last year, I'd heard of several 6th degree Masters who went back to Korea to get their 7th degree*. They all failed. Sounds like Kukkiwon sending a clear message to those that left. They have a very long arm. If you want to stay Kukkiwon, it will only be on their terms.

*Kukkiwon recognises 7th deg. as a Grand Master. You can only test in Korea for this level and higher.

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
I believe it. I'm sure they want to keep control of their sport and maintain a high level of quality, in their eyes. That or you have to stay on their "good graces." Sad that it would drop to a childish level like that.

I didn't realize that 7th dan was recognized as Grandmaster by Kukkiwon. I'm not involved with them, but I thought it was 8th Dan for this organization.

R. McLain

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
rmclain said:
I believe it. I'm sure they want to keep control of their sport and maintain a high level of quality, in their eyes. That or you have to stay on their "good graces." Sad that it would drop to a childish level like that.

I didn't realize that 7th dan was recognized as Grandmaster by Kukkiwon. I'm not involved with them, but I thought it was 8th Dan for this organization.

R. McLain

Nope. 4th for Master, 7th for Grand Master.

R. McLain said:
Sad that it would drop to a childish level like that.

Unfortunately, control is power. I'm sure they have their reasons. I won't judge one way or another, I wasn't there. But I agree, I would only hope that they have a better reason for it than that.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
MSUTKD said:
In Korea:
.....College Taekwondo practitioners are amazing fighters.

You will almost never see anyone practicing it for the art, ONLY the sport.

There is one group that continues to practice forms and more “art” related stuff but I have never trained with them so cannot comment. My sport friends always joke about them. I was really interested in seeing them.

ron
www.msutaekwondo.org

Welcome to MT my friend!

You traveled and saw much more of Korea than I, but I hope your statement above re: art vs sport is due to a "small statistical sampling."

As far as the collegiate teams being totally amazing-I will second that, but will add the pro teams as well. Training with Samsung team was an absolute thrill (for us, not them).

Miles

Latest Discussions