Keeping a reasonably peaceful TKD area.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The TKD section is one of our busiest ones. It's logical that given the traffic that there will be more chances for misunderstanding and heat.

It's not our staffs goal, not job to micromanage you, or be e-babysitters. We feel that adults should act like adults and to us that means in a mature manner.

While our rules set is large on first glance, most of what 95% of our members need to follow is summed up in opening of our rules, Section 1.1.
Terms of Service

As in any popular art, TKD has it's fair share of politics, competing organizations, and colorful personalities. It is our official position that none of these are superior to the others, and we favor no position over any other. All members are subject to the rules equally, regardless of rank, affiliation or membership level. A 10th degree doesn't get you a "get out of jail card" and neither does a paid membership. A Grandmaster can be banned just as easily and fast as a white belt if they break our rules.

When you see a problem, please use the proper channels to inform us. That is detailed in Section 5.3 of our rules.

Continued violations, abuse directed towards our staff, a hostile attitude, or daring us to ban you can, may, and has result in just that. Do not draw negative action towards you by daring us to do so.

We are not asking that everyone agree, stick to 'safe' topics, or hold hands and sing campfire songs. That would lead to a boring forum. We are insisting however that members behave as responsible adults, follow our rules, and when told "hey, might want to relax a bit" not make a mountain out of a anthill.

Enjoy the TKD section, it's there for you our TKD members. We are open to suggestion on how to improve it to give you a better experience. Help us, to help you.

Thank you.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I want to address one particular issue that has been brought up a few times, favoritism.

We do everything we can to avoid any show of favoritism OR bias.

Moderators are by policy prevented from moderating friends, family, classmates, students, their instructor, or others where there is a risk of bias coloring a decision.

Moderators are allowed to "opt out" when there is a case where they feel they can't be fair and objective.

Moderators are not allowed to moderate in a topic where they have been participating as a member. In a few rare events, they may be called upon to place an official notice (so indicated).

Staff is not given a "free pass". Current and former staff have received warnings, infractions, suspensions and banning when warranted. Staff have been dismissed for their conduct as well.

Paying members are held to the same standards as non-paying members. They have been warned, infracted, suspended and banned.

My instructor has been suspended. -I- have been suspended. At least 1 of our Advisors has been suspended. We do not play favorites.

It is not our policy to publicly single out people. Actions that we take are between us and the member. Just because you do not see the warnings or infractions, doesn't mean they aren't there. We feel that singling someone out for public censor & ridicule does little but create bad feelings and open the door to even more problems. Our goal is to resolve things professionally.

If you see a member with "Suspended", they've been suspended.
"Banned" means banned.
"Restricted Access" means they have enough infraction points to seriously limit their use of the site.
"Seeking Tranquility" means they've been such a huge pain in the *** we no longer want them here. Unlike banned members, there is a chance they can return, however unlikely.

Disrupting threads, constantly complaining about non-existent biases, going on and on how we don't do nothing, how certain people get away with murder, going to other sites and whining about things, are all ways to fast track yourself off this site.

We give people more than enough chances, some say too many to figure it all out.
We provide you with the option to block or "ignore" the people who piss you off. Please use it, or learn to tune them out.
Report problems then let us handle it. Firing back, only brings you into the fray.

Nothing would please us more than to see every section of this site thriving, growing, with tons of new discussion. We need your help to do that, and we need your help and cooperation to achieve that.

If you have questions, concerns, or suggestions, please, contact any member of our staff, our mentors, our advisers or me directly.

Thank you.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes even I have been suspended for what I have no clue :uhyeah:, but even I will say that life is too short to get upset over a post. Thanks for all the mods and everybody does for this wonderful site.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey, everybody! Remember this thread?

MartialTalk is supposed to be a friendly place. I know that some TKD issues get pretty heated, especially the sport vs MA/self defense stuff. Believe it or not -- it is possible to discuss a hot subject without namecalling and insults or being demeaning to the folks with another point of view. Let's give it a try, huh?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey, everybody! Remember this thread?

MartialTalk is supposed to be a friendly place. I know that some TKD issues get pretty heated, especially the sport vs MA/self defense stuff. Believe it or not -- it is possible to discuss a hot subject without namecalling and insults or being demeaning to the folks with another point of view. Let's give it a try, huh?
One more thing...

If there's someone whose opinions and manner of posting are so odious to you that you're tempted to do something that might violate the rules... Add the guy to your ignore list. You can find it in your User CP.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
And one of the worst things that you can do is to report something, then fire back at the person who you just reported, in the thread. If you feel that a rule has been broken, don't drag yourself down and don't drag yourself into it. Report it, ignore it, move on, and let the moderators do their job. We will review the report, compare it against the terms of service and take action as necessary.

Just remember, you won't see what action has been taken, so there is a degree of trust here for us to do our job. As Bob said, we do not make our administrative actions public.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just remember, you won't see what action has been taken, so there is a degree of trust here for us to do our job. As Bob said, we do not make our administrative actions public.

I always felt that disciplinary action should be on public record. At least for supporting members to review.

Last edited:
OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We've thought about it, but to be fair we'd have to wipe out alot and start fresh, which would make our jobs harder.

A point I feel needs to be made. Our official charter is"Friendly Martial Arts Discussion." While it is our goal to be such, we are not going to be the "Behavior Police" and smack everyone who doesn't say "please" and "thank you", or who comes across a little rougher than we'd like. We are dealing with a number of cultural differences, even within the US and attempt to take those into consideration when moderating. That's not a license to pretend you're from the Bronx though as we do pick up on acts and infract accordingly.

If someone is on your "troll" list, put them on your Ignore list. If enough people do that, they will find they get no reaction and fade away. Trolls biggest kick is to get under your skin. Ignore them, report them, but do not engage them.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If someone is on your "troll" list, put them on your Ignore list. If enough people do that, they will find they get no reaction and fade away. Trolls biggest kick is to get under your skin. Ignore them, report them, but do not engage them.

Quoted for truth -- and it bears repeating.

Ignore the trolls; they'll usually go away.

I'll tell you this -- the MT Moderation Team takes all reports and all disruptions seriously. But we're not nannies. Just like some bruises come with martial arts training -- there's a possibility of bruised feelings and injured sensibilities when you participate on a forum.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dude, you keep pushing it and it's not going to matter for you.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Even if it was, it's an example of thumbing nose at staff given the purpose of the thread. Bob's being nice.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Even if it was, it's an example of thumbing nose at staff given the purpose of the thread. Bob's being nice.
Is it? I guess if it appears so to you, then it is. I didn't see it that way. I saw it as a possibly ill-timed attempt to diffuse a tense conversation. I believe that a large part of why things get tense in the first place is when we take things too seriously (including ourselves) and forget our senses of humor.

Just my 2 cents.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Regarding the Ignore list, I've received a couple of inquiries that I'd like to address here in the interests of efficiency.

"I can't find it"
There are 2 ways to edit your ignore list.

1- View a persons profile. Under their profile picture (or off on the left side if they have none) you should see a drop down menu for "User Lists". Select that and pick "Add to Ignore List".

2- Click on the USERCP menu link, select Edit Ignore List. You can then add the persons username when prompted.

(Note- You cannot ignore a moderator.)

"I added someone but I still see their comments in others posts when they are quoted."
Unfortunately, this will happen. At the moment I'm unaware of a reliable plug in to make this 100%. It isn't perfect but will allow you to avoid most of the objectionable persons posts. We hope that this system will be improved in upcoming software updates.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Longboat Key over looking Sarasota Bay, at least u
Bob,
thank you for your continued efforts on this front.

Sure TWIN FIST, whatever you say.

Is it OK to go troll the Taekwondo area now?

Originally Posted by Twin Fist (in the Taekwondo area)
the instructor is an ***, and the entire KKW organization, BY ALLOWING IT, is just as guilty

lets put aside the made up history

lets put aside the political crap

lets put aside the things they allow to happen

it is just another org, and like all orgs, it is exists mainly to take money from people to make other people rich

*puke*

Latest Discussions