Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:
There are a gazillion arts out there.

What drew you to TKD?
What keeps you coming back?
It WAS FUN, it kept me in GREAT SHAPE, and I met a lot of great people. Also, many schools lack the "we can take anybody" mentality that drove me from, uh, I'd better not say the style...

I'm no longer in TKD but it was a great experience. My first instructor began training in Korea before it was called TKD and we learned quite a number of throws and locks. I actually learned falling techniques before I learned how to do a front kick.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A gwntleman named Gin Kim a little man with the heart of a lion. When I mved to california I was looking for a hard core dojo to work out in and I found him, the knowledge this man had and the dignity he process is what got me started. As I have stated before my father tought Judo and Karate in the Marine corp for neerly 36 years and I needed that hard core training not water down MA. That gentleman beat us to death evry night and then made sure youwas there the next day if you was not he called to find out why and if you said you was hyrting he drove over picked you up after class and train you some more, you where not allowed to miss for being bruised up or he bruised you up more that evening. Sound pretty wacko now but that is what made me fall in love with TKD.

Terry

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I chose TKD because it was the closest to TSD after I moved (couldn't find a TSD dojang). What keeps me at this school is the hard core disipline (which I need), and the training isn't like a McDojang. We train hard (and earn our stuff here!). Yes we do Olympic style sparring. BUT our self defense curriculum is second to none in this area (except for my JJ instructor hehehehehe).

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My brother-in-law and nephew were TKD practitioners for a long while before we started training in the art. They really enjoyed it and always talked up the art, so that's really what drew us, me and my daughter, to TKD. So, I guess it's a family thing. Anyway, my daughter was the first, and still is the only girl in our pretty large extended family to become a BB holder.

What keeps me coming back is that I just really enjoy going into the dojang, throwing on my white pjs, err dobok, and just training hard with my regular training partners and buds there. After a long day at work, I look forward to going to the dojang, and training my *** off to blow off all of the day's stresses. Great stuff!!! :ultracool

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First and foremost, I love the workout.
I love the fact that my entire family is involved and enjoy it as much as I do.
I love the scope of the system. Ya know, learning and practicing all that stuff that "TKD people" don't do.
I love the fact that it keeps me looking and feeling like people much younger than myself. (Most think I'm mid 30's, HA!)
I love the comaradery of our school. We often "hang out" together as a group. The kids included.
Last but far from least. I love to spar!

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I got into TKD quite by accident and circumstance, actually. My older kids joined the class on recomendation from a friend at a time where we were trying to find an activity they could all do together. I got into it because I took the kids to class and one of the students was someone I know who encouraged me to hop in. I stay with it because: I've always had stronger legs then chest/upper bidy so TKD works to that natural strength. I'm in much better shape, stronger, more endurance, tc...than any time in my adult life. I like wearing comfy pajamas. It's a new challenge in my life to explore things I really never understood

ajs1976

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I wanted to get into better shape and I thought learning an MA would be more interesting then running or lifting. When I looked into schools in my area the ones I found that I was interested in were all TKD schools.

Aqua4ever

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What drew me?
Two guys in my school decided I needed it (really I think they just wanted to see what I would do in that setting) The adreniline rush after the first class made me realize I needed to come back
What keeps me coming back?
All the amazing people, their dedication to their training and their positive attitudes
The lessons you learn every class, not only in the art but also about the things you run into life and ways to deal
the excersise factor
The amount of fun I have!
Aqua

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
doc clean said:
I wanted to get into better shape and I thought learning an MA would be more interesting then running or lifting. When I looked into schools in my area the ones I found that I was interested in were all TKD schools.

Kinda the same for me, except I went looking around my college campus, and the only MA club left was the TKD club. (Had been thinking of the Arnis club, but it folded the year before.) Stuck with it because it strongly reminded me of the old Shudokan classes I took for a few months back in middle school.

Latest Discussions