French TKD ...Didn't see this one coming.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
What the Hell!!!!!! OMG!!!!! To much abuse in our sport!!!! to many stories!!!! A problem all over the World!!!!

SJON

Blue Belt
Reaction score
There was a similar scandal (minus the arranged marriage) in Spain last year regarding synchronised swimming, with practically the whole team rebelling against the coach: http://www.marca.com/2012/09/25/en/more_sports/1348605140.html

Maybe that's "just what it takes" to get that high up in the game. I wonder if men have to go through the same kind of thing.

OP
Dad of lady Taz!

Dad of lady Taz!

White Belt
Reaction score
What the Hell!!!!!! OMG!!!!! To much abuse in our sport!!!! to many stories!!!! A problem all over the World!!!!

Unfortunately it's not just our sport but this hits home because it's our ox that is being gored. The problem IMHO is the mindset and atmosphere of permissibility that often occur at the high level of sports in general. In essence, as long as you are winning we will be willing to look the otrher way. That is why every time that there is one of these stories, regardless of the sport, we usually get the reaction of "why didn't somebody say something earlier"? Well they were bringing home the hardware. And at the end of the day, that is what matters to them. They want to eat the eat the sausage...just don't tell them how it's made.

In this sport we expect a higher level of conscience and self control because it is based on a martial art. But the reality is if you are involved in sport TKD, understand that it is a sport and at the high level are subjected to the same pitfalls as any other. Tenants and tradition are replaced by winners and loosers. I wish this was not the case but it is what it is.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The fake marriage thing just goes to show how much countries game the nationality thing with their athletes.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sadly not too surprising. The stakes are high enough for both athletes and coaches that there will always be people who decide the ends justify doing 'whatever it takes.' Many dysfunctional situations don't get public until they fall apart...keeps tabloid journalists employed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I would humbly submit that sometimes, people are so close and so personally involved in our martial art that they forget the fact that is takes a special type to be an athlete at that level. More often than not, that type is absolutely nuts.

Latest Discussions