Frank Dux

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
I say give it a whirl and see what happens. As long as there is no long term commitment on your end it can't hurt.

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob

OP
Josh Oakley

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Simple his linage and timeframe are in accurate at best, the military says he is a fake, the martial art community says he is a fake, so why would I or any other legit martial artist train with a fake. Plain and simple if you ask me.

Let's break this down:

Simple his linage and timeframe are in accurate at best, the military says he is a fake

Who can I talk to to verify this? A PERSON, not a website.

the martial art community says he is a fake
WHO in the martial arts community? Strike that. WHO in the martial arts community that have actually SEEN him in ACTION or TRAINED with him? Anyone can say anything about anyone, but that doesn't give them credibility. The community as a whole has, I can safely state, not even MET the man. Why should I listen to the martial arts community. Heck, who's their spokesman?

Plain and simple if you ask me.
Yes, it is plain and simple. But I did not ask you. I asked whoever has actual experience with the guy. Do you have experience with the guy?

Let me state again. I'm looking for people who have trained with Frank Dux. If you have not trained with him, or met him, or know someone who trained with him, or even seen him in action What can you possibly tell me that I haven't already read on a website?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Let's break this down:

Who can I talk to to verify this? A PERSON, not a website.

You can contact the US Military and they will tell you he was enlisted after the Vietnam war so he could not possibily have served in it.

WHO in the martial arts community? Strike that. WHO in the martial arts community that have actually SEEN him in ACTION or TRAINED with him? Anyone can say anything about anyone, but that doesn't give them credibility. The community as a whole has, I can safely state, not even MET the man. Why should I listen to the martial arts community. Heck, who's their spokesman?

I have back in the eighties he was at best an average BB in my humble opinion.

Yes, it is plain and simple. But I did not ask you. I asked whoever has actual experience with the guy. Do you have experience with the guy?

Again I figure since I train with him a few times I could speak.

Let me state again. I'm looking for people who have trained with Frank Dux. If you have not trained with him, or met him, or know someone who trained with him, or even seen him in action What can you possibly tell me that I haven't already read on a website?

Well there you have it from someone that has meet him and have done some training with him. I was a Military Brat for all my life my Father was a Master Sergent in the U.S.M.C. so I do have some friends of the family that have nothing good to say about the man. I am sorry if you was looking for something else and believe me I was not trying to upset anybody but you ask and I answered for you. The best advice is for you to go train and if you find value then that is all that matters. I did not try to come of like that but when people that claim one thing and can be disproven by our Military on certain timeframes you have to ask yourself why. Best of luck and please let us know how the training goes and I wish you success in that training.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Josh
If you do train with Mr. Dux would you please tell us here at MT how that training goes. What was covered and if it was presented in a way most could understand and apply.
I would be interested in hearing your thoughts (as I take it you have never met him before)

sheldon

OP
Josh Oakley

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well there you have it from someone that has meet him and have done some training with him. I was a Military Brat for all my life my Father was a Master Sergent in the U.S.M.C. so I do have some friends of the family that have nothing good to say about the man. I am sorry if you was looking for something else and believe me I was not trying to upset anybody but you ask and I answered for you. The best advice is for you to go train and if you find value then that is all that matters. I did not try to come of like that but when people that claim one thing and can be disproven by our Military on certain timeframes you have to ask yourself why. Best of luck and please let us know how the training goes and I wish you success in that training.

Okay, now i'm clear. This is the first time you said you trained with him. I had gotten tired of asking for people and getting a million responses with websites. Thanks for your patience.

OP
Josh Oakley

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Josh
If you do train with Mr. Dux would you please tell us here at MT how that training goes. What was covered and if it was presented in a way most could understand and apply.
I would be interested in hearing your thoughts (as I take it you have never met him before)

sheldon

Actually I did meet him last week. He seemed like a really nice guy. But i am going to train this Sunday. I plan on reporting back.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Okay, now i'm clear. This is the first time you said you trained with him. I had gotten tired of asking for people and getting a million responses with websites. Thanks for your patience.

I try to be a little suttle about it and let people make there own decissions. Sorry for being so invasive about it.

OP
Josh Oakley

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Happens. That's the downside of the internet. Language is 80% non-verbal. Here, the other 20% has to represent the whole. Naturally, miscommunication often occurs.

OP
Josh Oakley

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In all honesty, if you're really interested in training, I'd go with one of the following:

Bujinkan

Genbukan

Jinenkan

SKH

IMHO, if you're interested in training, if you're going to be spending money, and you want to learn something that has a good reputation, I'd want to train under someone who has a good reputation.

Now, I'm sure some will suggest staying away from Hayes and the controversy that surrounds him, however, if it was a toss up between Dux and Hayes, I'd go with Hayes. IMO, his reputation is more solid than Dux.

Mike

I already teach Shaolin Kempo full time. I care less about reputation and more about effectiveness.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I already teach Shaolin Kempo full time. I care less about reputation and more about effectiveness.

I agree reputation is up to the one training weall have our differences, but we all must walk our own path as well.

OP
Josh Oakley

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, I finally had a chance to train with Mr. Dux, and I'll say I liked it and I'm going back. The training was hard-hitting, effective, and helped me figure out better ways to explain to my students what I was trying to teach them earlier. I also got a fuller understanding of things I was already doing, and more importantly, things I was doing that weren't working. Seeing as he's letting me mow his lawn as payment for now, I've every intention to train with him when I can. I was impressed.

Brian S

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Well good then!!

Just because someone makes up stories to sound cool and to make some money doesn't mean they are a bad martial artist!

OP
Josh Oakley

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If there's one thing I've learned, it's never believe legends, the good or the bad. Always seek to know the man. That's why I'm training under frank right now. He's a really nice man, and he has some great things to teach me.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you believe you are getting value then I applaud you. Remember some people just do not like anybody.

astrobiologist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I hope it continues to work out for you. Just remember to keep your mind and eyes open.

I personally had not heard of the rumors and debate about Dux before reading this thread. It sounds like a lot of people have used public information well to expose some lies that Dux had made. I'm not judging though. I don't know the man and it doesn't seem like his lies have really hurt anyone. I do have to say though, the next time my buddies and I watch Bloodsport I'm telling them about all of this...

Latest Discussions