Frank Dux

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Okay, I only know about the guy from Bloodsport, and I'm pretty sure that means I don't know anything about him. I have a friend that trained under him, and loves the guy. I just met him up in Mill Creek, WA and he's offering a couple of classes. Worth my time or not?

I'd like to get the scoop from people who have actually trained with him if possible.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, I only know about the guy from Bloodsport, and I'm pretty sure that means I don't know anything about him. I have a friend that trained under him, and loves the guy. I just met him up in Mill Creek, WA and he's offering a couple of classes. Worth my time or not?

I'd like to get the scoop from people who have actually trained with him if possible.
Let me suggest that you take advantage of the Search function. You'll find numerous threads about him. You may also want to check out the Ninjutsu FAQs, as well.

Unfortunately, you're probably not going to be impressed with what you find. Frank Dux doesn't enjoy a particularly good reputation throughout the martial arts community. There are just too many things that nobody can verify and that don't add up.

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Josh,
Meet with your friend and work out with him then decide for yourself if the training is worth it or not. In the 90’s sometime I met a gentleman who had trained with Mr. Dux and he was accomplished and taught well (I do not remember other training that the gentleman may or may not have had). I also do not remember his name but he was physically handicapped yet did not let that weaken his work. I enjoyed the few classes that we had together. Your mileage may vary and your friend may or may not be the teacher for you, but only one way to find out for sure..get some time working with him in person to find out. Good or bad the experience may well be enriching depending on the lessons you learn from the experience. Regarding Mr. Dux and his reputation, I have never met the man himself so have no opinion other than finding some of his claims improbable and amusing.

Regards
Brian King

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Everybody needs to walk there own path, go train and make up your own mind. Just be aware that alot of his info. id not credible withen the Martial Art community.

profesormental

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Greetings.

My advice is similar. Go and train and have fun.

There is a guy here that is a Dux Ryu trained guy.

Technically not the best, yet he has a lot of heart, determination, courage and integrity. His students see that, and they are loyal to him.

Heart, determination and Warrior Spirit are very hard to teach, and if they get that from training, in my eyes, it is good training. I do not care where it is from.

Also, the students have fun and enjoy their time.

I hope you do too.

sincerely,

Juan M. Mercado

P.S. remember that there are different things everyone looks for. If it fits you, then go for it.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We can not discern if the training will be worth your time only you can. There are varying thoughts on Mr. Dux just as there are on many people. Depending on your level of knowledge in the arts and what is taught you may or may not learn techniques from the time spent. You will however have a little better idea of what the man teaches and how he presents himself and what he teaches.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Bad Martial arts is like watching a car accident you have to watch!!

Frank Dux has countless threads about him on many many sites.

If one word can be used to describe him it would be Fraud.

But It could be fun to watch.

:popcorn:

How come this is posted in SKH/Quest forum?

Obi Wan Shinobi

Green Belt
Reaction score
Frank Dux not only has a bad reputation with Martial Artists but also with certain veteran's group. Its seems he wants to be a jack of all trades but is definitely a master of none........

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I think your best bet is to punch "Frank Dux" into google and do a little research yourself. He's got a lot of stuff about him and his claims online, not a whole lot of it positive.

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
There is something to keep in mind though: even if your friend is good or not (and he very well could be good), Dux' reputation will shadow him, and in turn, you as well.
Like everyone said, go give your friend a try, but I am warning you that if you tell anyone you train in the Dux line, you will never be taken seriously, regardless of how good you become.

AoG

OP
Josh Oakley

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Oh, heck, I've already read about him. I'd rather get some first hand input.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh, heck, I've already read about him. I'd rather get some first hand input.

Ok then I need to ask this question why ask us because you knew what the response was going to be? Seem like beating a dead horse to me.

OP
Josh Oakley

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Bad Martial arts is like watching a car accident you have to watch!!

Frank Dux has countless threads about him on many many sites.

If one word can be used to describe him it would be Fraud.

But It could be fun to watch.

:popcorn:

How come this is posted in SKH/Quest forum?

I posted this on here because it said "any other related topics". I don't know if he's a fraud or not. I haven't trained with him and I haven't seen him in action.

Why is it I ask if anyone here has trained with the guy, and get a bunch of people talking about what the internet says about him. I can and HAVE already researched him extensively on the internet. Frankly (no pun intended) it's hard to tell who's right or wrong there because most all websites I have seen are not first-hand sources.

That's why I was looking for first-hand experience. If you tell me about websites, it means you know as much as I do about him, which is nothing--nothing particularly credible, in any event.

So has anyone actually trained with the guy?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
In all honesty, if you're really interested in training, I'd go with one of the following:

Bujinkan

Genbukan

Jinenkan

SKH

IMHO, if you're interested in training, if you're going to be spending money, and you want to learn something that has a good reputation, I'd want to train under someone who has a good reputation.

Now, I'm sure some will suggest staying away from Hayes and the controversy that surrounds him, however, if it was a toss up between Dux and Hayes, I'd go with Hayes. IMO, his reputation is more solid than Dux.

Mike

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I posted this on here because it said "any other related topics".
Hmm don't know how he is related to Steven Hayes or Ninjutsu.

Why is it I ask if anyone here has trained with the guy, and get a bunch of people talking about what the internet says about him.

Because of this most likely:

I don't know anything about him.
And this:

Worth my time or not

I don't know anything about him

then you say this:
I can and HAVE already researched him extensively on the internet
:troll:

If you tell me about websites, it means you know as much as I do about him, which is nothing--nothing particularly credible, in any event.
I don't have to meet someone to know if they are a fraud or not. If someone says they train in a mystic Japanese Ninja clan but can not speak Japanese well I can make up my own mind. But like they say suckers comes a dime a dozen and looks like if you buy into it Dux's already has 2 out of that dozen meaning you and your friend. Cheers!!

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gents, as this thread is regarding Mr. Dux let's make every attempt not to make the responses personal. There are opinions of Dux that run the entire gamut. While many, indeed most, will question his abilities and lineage I'm certain that there are those that will defend him to the utmost of their ability. What say we attempt to remember that MT does have an anti-fraud busting policy and that we are a "Friendly" place for discussion.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread. ;)

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I posted this on here because it said "any other related topics". I don't know if he's a fraud or not. I haven't trained with him and I haven't seen him in action.

Why is it I ask if anyone here has trained with the guy, and get a bunch of people talking about what the internet says about him. I can and HAVE already researched him extensively on the internet. Frankly (no pun intended) it's hard to tell who's right or wrong there because most all websites I have seen are not first-hand sources.

That's why I was looking for first-hand experience. If you tell me about websites, it means you know as much as I do about him, which is nothing--nothing particularly credible, in any event.

So has anyone actually trained with the guy?

Simple his linage and timeframe are in accurate at best, the military says he is a fake, the martial art community says he is a fake, so why would I or any other legit martial artist train with a fake. Plain and simple if you ask me.

Latest Discussions