For tkd_jen (Please read everyone)

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just re-read through all the posts in this thread (you guys are so cool!) and it seems like you all know me because the recurring advice was "don't push it!" I have a problem with that, wanting too much too soon. I think that is a common trait of us here on this board as Martial Artists. We are goal setting, driven people...

Ambition and drive are terrific servants but crummy masters, Jen—as you realize, I think! They're great at getting us to new levels of achievement. But as soon as they start jeopardizing the achievements you've worked hard to earn—as when they start tempting you to get back into action after an injury you haven't recovered from—it's time to turn the volume on them way down.

The waiting time only seems long for the duration; after you're back on your feet and back to normal, it quickly fades from memory. It's like ordinary pain: nasty while it's going on, but you forget the sensation very soon after it ebbs away... this too shall pass! :)

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Like everyone else says, don't listen to the cravings to get up and kick *** before it's fixed ok? I reckon someone should make TKD patches... :D I'd buy em up like sweeties!

Take care girl, and if you try and get back into it too soon I'm sure Jazz will tie you to a wheelchair and look how embarrasing that might be!

Save face, rest! ;)

TraditionalTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Jen,
Be patient and take it slow. Blowing an ACL is serious and lead to long term damage if you don't care for it properly. Good luck and train hard and carefully.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jen, I noticed you said this is your second ACL blowout, but on the other knee. What kind of reconstruction did you get for the first and are you getting the same one now?

tkd_jen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Jen, I noticed you said this is your second ACL blowout, but on the other knee. What kind of reconstruction did you get for the first and are you getting the same one now?

The 1st was my right ACL and medial meniscus. The doc used the patellar tendon for that repair. It took FOREVER to come back from that, but it was a mess in there. This time it is my left ACL, the surgeon is going to use the hamstring this time and is confident the recovery will be smooth. I am scheduled to go in this Friday, but unfortunately, I found out my gramma had a serious stroke yesterday so we'll see what happens. She's tougher than me so I bet she'll be OK. Hope that answered your question.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The 1st was my right ACL and medial meniscus. The doc used the patellar tendon for that repair. It took FOREVER to come back from that, but it was a mess in there. This time it is my left ACL, the surgeon is going to use the hamstring this time and is confident the recovery will be smooth. I am scheduled to go in this Friday, but unfortunately, I found out my gramma had a serious stroke yesterday so we'll see what happens. She's tougher than me so I bet she'll be OK. Hope that answered your question.

Again, you (& now your family) are in my prayers!

tkd_jen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Well, I'm sorry everyone, I don't mean to turn this forum into a "Jen Pity Party" but here is an update: my gramma is not doing well. We are all on our way to see her, so you know what that usually means. Thanks for all your support, you are an amazing group of people.

OP
tkd_Jaz

tkd_Jaz

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Well, I'm sorry everyone, I don't mean to turn this forum into a "Jen Pity Party" but here is an update: my gramma is not doing well. We are all on our way to see her, so you know what that usually means. Thanks for all your support, you are an amazing group of people.
oh no. You don't know how bad I feel for you. I really hope everything will be alright but whatever happens I'm here for you tkd_jen. You know I'll always have your back.

TraditionalTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My grandma is currently in a hospice with a blood clot and mass on her pancreas. She will be 100 years old this year, but it's still a family member. I can very much relate to your situation. Hang in there, be strong, and remember that Tae Kwon Do is always there for you in good times and bad.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wow...when it rains, it pours. No words of widom here unfortunately, it's a terrible situation you are in. Like others have said, hang in there. Also, remember to be gentle with yourself.:)

Peace,
Erik

tkd_jen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
OK, update time. Gramma didn't make it and we had her funeral on Saturday the 14th.

My ACL surgery is scheduled for this Friday the 20th. Bring on the healing!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
OK, update time. Gramma didn't make it and we had her funeral on Saturday the 14th.

Sorry for your loss.

Good luck with that and hopefully you'll have a speedy recovery. Keep us up to date on how things go.

Mike

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Ach, I'm very sorry, Jen. It's so hard to lose people...

Best of luck with your surgery. Down the line, it'll be worth it.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Sorry to here that. :(

I wish you quick healing and recovery on both your knee surgery and your heart.

Latest Discussions