Results from Knee Surgery

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I went in today, went under general. I woke up a few hours later feeling absolutely horrible. However, what the said was..."Your left knee is the worst we've ever seen for someone under 75."

They did say however that they did a lot of cleaning, snipping, repacking. So the good news is I have a 10x12 4 layer mat to stretch out on beginning Monday, the bad news is....No Tae kwon Do until after the first week of Feb.

The good news is I have had nothing but the utmost support from friends and family. When talking to dad I told him that all was ok as it should be and I was happy to hear that I would be able continuing studies soon. He said, "You are already a Master in my book so don't you worry about that, furthermore believe it or not we old fat black belts talk and you are good with younger students and your peers. That is hard to do and a talent hard to come by."

GM and his wife called and wished me the utmost speedy recovery. GM said they did my share of calestenics, kicking and reps of hapkido last night and will continue to do so until I get back.

A buddy of mine since high school, Aaron...A BBJ student that has his two sons in MSK:TKD is coming for the weekend, through Monday. He called, asked if I was on my way home. I answered yep, he said he had to pack his dog in the truck and he was on his way.

A couple of classmates from St. L school have called already and said "You always helped us in class, so since your down now we have no choice but bring the MMA and Van Damme DVD's, see you tomorrow at 10 am."

Of course the most important is the support my wife has, is and will be giving me over the next few weeks with this weekend being the hardest, no mobility option so its going to be harder for her. Aaron said, "Your wife has always been cool to me for the last decade and a half so it is time to return the favor."

So, I guess this trying to be nice to people is a good thing. I have always said "Kindness repays kindness". It is just humbling to see it for me.

You guys have all been supportive, as I have tried to do for others on the board as well, that is what MAer's do.

Humbly,

Hoshin

Matt

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Matt, you are not only a master but a role model as well.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. I'm pullin' for ya buddy :) :)

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Glad to know you're getting generous support in your down time, Matt! Enjoy and be attentive to your rehab.

:asian:

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Get better soon Matt! I look forward to someday meeting
you on the mats.
icon14.gif

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ah, now you get to work on the most important aspect of your training. patience. I've had both mine done, at different timed. The right because of a training accident, my base knee popped, not the brick. The other was when I was hit head on by a car while on my Harley. Broke my left knee and my left shoulder. Oh yeah, and it killed my scoot.....snif. Anyway, believe that with proper training and a hell of a lot of patience you will get better. It won't be as fast as you want it but if you give it enough time it will happen. Good luck and stay the course. Don't push it too fast, slow and easy will win this race.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good Luck! I agree with Wade-sometimes the hardest thing to do is...well, nothing.

Miles

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Matt! I'm sure it's going to be difficult to lay back, but take your time and heal right.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for letting us know how the surgery went - take your time and heal well and right, or you'll be out a lot longer than a month. Keep us up to date on your recovery.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Best wishes for a speedy recovery, and thanks for letting us know how you're doing! The recovery time is always the worst, but honestly- it's not that bad when you have support.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey Matt, you're well over the worst—that crappy feeling right after coming out of the general. Everything else should be a piece of cake from here on. And actually, given the magnitude of your injuries and surgery, having less than a month of downtime is a lot better than it might have been. But I know, forced inactivity for any length of time can be ultra-frustrating. One thing that might take some of the sting out of it is figuring out how much time a week you'd be spending training, and using some or all of that time instead reading something that you might be able to put into practice once you strart training again. That way, in a sense, you're still continuing your training, but a different aspect of it, while you give your legs a chance to heal. It's not the same thing but it does give you something you can feel virtuous about once you've recuperated... :wink1:

And may that recuperation be smooth and speedy! Please keep us up to date on how it's going, yes?

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So they didn't attach your knee your your ***? Dammit! Now I've lost the MT pool!

Glad to hear things went well, and I know from experience (and know that you know as well) that the next few weeks are going to be frustrating as hell for you. But an old jarhead such as yourself should have no problem playing the waiting game!

Jeff

OP
matt.m

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Guys, I have been watching poomse videos, mma videos, movies, sleeping, watching more poomse videos followed by mma shows. I didn't get a wink of sleep last night. I watched Pride and UFC dvds with my pal and helped set up his new laptop to be ship shape.

Thanks for all you warm wishes of speedy recovery. I have been entertaining my wife, pal, my doggie and his schnausser. I have been playing a ton of UFC:Sudden Impact and Tekken 5, mixed in with some kill.switch.

I boned up on entertainment for the past few weeks so no work till Tuesday....I am anxious to get back to training but I am smart enough to know that slow and steady certainly wins this way.

Again, thank you all very much for the warm wishes.

Matt

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Folks—I've been thinking of this for a while. Matt is undergoing major surgery as a result of having served his country bravely and selflessly, and I've noticed, in all the time I've been reading his posts on MT, that he has never complained once about anything. I also have noticed that he's now withing spitting distance of his gold star. I've repped him just a little while ago, and I'd like to ask all his MT friends and well-wishers to do the same, so that by the time he's back on his feet, he's achieved the Stardom that he deserves. Who's with me?

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sounds good to me - and well-deserved, too, for exactly the attitude you state, exile. I kicked in too - who'll join us?

donna

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi Matt, hope you have a speedy recovery, glad to hear the surgery went well, my love to you and your wife during this frustrating recovery time.:)

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sounds good to me - and well-deserved, too, for exactly the attitude you state, exile. I kicked in too - who'll join us?

Kacey, thanks for your support here. I appeal to our membership—we have a great guy who's stepped up for us—who else will help us show how much we appreciate what he's done, and given up in a good cause? (plus, he's a great constructive contributor to our board...)

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There's 279 Matt.m's way ... from the hardest hitter on the board.

:asian:

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Folks—I've been thinking of this for a while. Matt is undergoing major surgery as a result of having served his country bravely and selflessly, and I've noticed, in all the time I've been reading his posts on MT, that he has never complained once about anything. I also have noticed that he's now withing spitting distance of his gold star. I've repped him just a little while ago, and I'd like to ask all his MT friends and well-wishers to do the same, so that by the time he's back on his feet, he's achieved the Stardom that he deserves. Who's with me?

I just added my 224 hope it helps he deserve it, such a great contributor here and in life.

Latest Discussions