Hard choice???

chrismay101

Green Belt
Reaction score
Need some advice!

Started training in tkd with a UKTA/ITF School but im starting to get frustrated by the way it is run.
This isn't anything to do with the instructors who are all very good all classes are never massive about 10 people, its to do with the time table in that there doesn't seem to be one we get told about gradings then they slip back or no date is confirmed. I just want goals to aim towards.

I have been looking at another ITF school who seem to be happy at taking my rank but they seem to be less infomal in some ways and some ways not.
the class was alot bigger at least double the people when I went and the main instructor said there were alot less then normal.
It seemed to be run more like a buisness then the place above,

I kind of feel bad about thinking of moving.

Any good advice would be great.

TKDmel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
To me the choice is simple. If there is another school in your area and it suits your needs better, then by all means make the change. If you are not happy, then you will not have your whole heart into it, therefore you won't get the full benefit of training.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A different emphasis might be that focussing on gradings is perhaps not the most positive way of approaching any martial art. From what I've read (here primarily), TKD gives the impression of having a very 'belt-centric' philosophy.

Now this is just my opinion but if you're enjoying the art, bond positively with your teachers and fellow students and also feel that you are progressing within yourself then why stress over gradings?

I didn't take a grading for two years from when I first took my baby steps in the field of iaido.

Relax into it - there's plenty of time and at the end of the day no-one is impressed by the colour of the belt that goes around your waist. It's what you are like as a person and what you can demnstrate within your art that counts.

Nontheless, TKDmel does make a very good point above.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
If the training in your current school is good, I'd suggest you stay there and not worry about the gradings. You mentioned your current school has fewer students in the class which means you are getting more individual attention. If you go to a larger school, you'll have a larger pool of sparring partners (which is always good), but less attention. Getting more attention from good instructors is better than getting graded quickly.

Miles

OP
chrismay101

chrismay101

Green Belt
Reaction score
Its not that there are no gradings with the original school its just that they don't let us know when they are until about a week before. Trying to get time of work at that sort of notice is hard and it gets frustrating.

On the other hand the orignal seems more old school in its ways like saying the oath of taekwondo and tenets the new school did some stuff but not to this level.

Is it a case of the better the devil you know?

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It depends on what you're looking for, and what you're willing to do to get it. Have you talked to the instructor(s) about your scheduling problems with the lack of notice? I teach myself, and generally know the month the next test will be as soon as the current test ends, and give my students at least 4-6 weeks notice - for exactly the reason you cite: life (school, work, family, etc.) happens.

Latest Discussions