For 1 hour of class? How many hours should you train at home?

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, For every hour of class? What would you recommend to your students to train at home?

We had one Sensi tells us "For every hour at class, do 5 hours at home!"

Most of us didn't...but this has always stay in my mind. What would you suggest to your students? ..........Aloha

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
i encourage my students to practice every day. if that's five minute before bed or three hours is up to them. asking for larger commitments feels daunting, but anybody can run one form a day. and once they do one form, it tends to grow into larger time practicing.

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That's an excellent question. I have heard the level of shodan equated to a Bachelor's degree and at other times a high school diploma. For either o those certifications, I have heard that a minimum of 3:1 ratio is suggested. Others would say that you should put your everyday being into your practice...in which case you would never be considered "out" o the dojo, so it would be an inf:1 ratio.

My counter question would be are you talking about physical, punch-kick-block-throw-jump-spin training; are you talking about physical run-jump-pushups-pullups-situps-dips-swimming training; are you talking about mental studying-reading-analyzing-applying-theorizing-writing-teaching training?

My answer is: enough to practice what you know, figure out what you don't, come up with questions about what you think and grow in your art. However many hours you need should be enough...but no less.

My two cents...

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
still learning said:
Hello, For every hour of class? What would you recommend to your students to train at home?

Most of us didn't...but this has always stay in my mind. What would you suggest to your students? ..........Aloha

ROLF! That is, if you have no life.........

I recommend you keep it lite and fun at home. Leave the heavy lifting for the dojang. I don't think there is a ratio for what you should do, maybe review what you have learned, work on your form, stances.....I do not recommend any sparring or board breaking, but have fun.

Good Luck!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
It all depends on what your goals are, how good you want to be and how much time you have to train.

As for me, as much as I can fit in, which tends to average between 3 to 5 hours a week now. In the old days, when I was young, it was about 9 to 12 hours a week. But I was single, had no children, was working 2nd shift and generally had nothing else to do during the day.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Fluffy said:
ROLF! That is, if you have no life.........

I recommend you keep it lite and fun at home. Leave the heavy lifting for the dojang. I don't think there is a ratio for what you should do, maybe review what you have learned, work on your form, stances.....I do not recommend any sparring or board breaking, but have fun.

Good Luck!

I agree with Fluffy & would add stretching, push-ups & sit-ups are great for training at home. For serious & longtime students I recommend a heavy bag (if they have room). But I'd hate to see it not used. Too many Nordic Track brand Clothes racks out there.:)

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
still learning said:

Depends a lot on what you define as training. Running, weights etc all count in my mind on top of any time spent working techniques.

MSUTKD

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I train 3hr per day, 6 days a week very hard, at home I relax. (Relax = reading, writing and thinking about......martial arts) No life.

ron

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For us, we recommend more and more practice as the student advances.
As you advance you have more material to remember as well as having to learn new material. Its a natural progression. We don't have a set formula to calculate hours at home vs. hours in class.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
If the arts are just a part of you, then an hour a day is enough. But if the arts are you, and you are the arts, then you are always training. When you step up to the dojo floor, & when you leave, you are training. When you eat it is the meat and potatos of your meal. When you drink, it is the water you are consuming. When you breath, it is the air you take into your lungs. And when you dream, it is beacuse you are sleeping the sleep of the arts. To those who truelly a part of the arts, you are always training, there is no, 'I train on these days at these times, but not these days, or these times'.

Sweet Brighit Bless your Blade,

John

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
at least 1 hour at home for each our inthe schoolfor beginners

myslef< well. I might jave put in a bit more as a beginner

aplonis

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Do not set a goal so high that you cannot meet it. That will make you feel like a failure which will in time metamorphose into an excuse to quit altogether.

Better is to find some time, as often as you can, for however long or short, and practice then. If it is less than others, then those others will pass you by in the testing sequence. Let them. Folks pass you on the sidewalk and on the highway and you let them. It's okay. If they thumb their nose at you on the way by, that just shows the world is full of jerks. You knew that already. Just keep on keeping on at whatever pace you choose and do not give up.

You will get there eventually. And some of those who passed you by might give up, switch styles, or just go away. It doesn't matter. Set for yourself a pace which you are sure you can stick to. Then stick to it.

Gan Uesli Starling
http://wmtkd.us
Kalamazoo Chapter
Western Michigan Tae Kwon Do

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
still learning said:

I'd say at people should try to put in at least a 1/2 hr minimum. Of course, the more time you put in, the better chance you'll have of performing the material better, have a better understanding of it, etc. Setting aside some time in the morning, at night, or in-between commercials on a TV show would be a few options.

Mike

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I honestly haven't ever said much to my students about practicing on their own time. I usually encourage mine to work on conditioning on their in-between days so that we can devote all of the practice time toward technique.

Latest Discussions