First 2 hours class for new student

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have a new student yesterday. Here are the class content for those 2 hours class.

1. 5 different entering strategies:

- Rhino guard.
- Double spears.
- Zombie guard.
- Octopus.
- Separate hands.

2. 4 different ways to use under hook.
3. 2 different ways to use over hook.
4. Uniform stance single leg.
5. Mirror stance single leg.

I have not taught any stance, or form. What's your opinion on this 2 hours teaching material?

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
Looks like you get right into it. :) Why style do you teach?

MI_martialist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I am a firm believer that there is really no way to "teach" on the first day. Before deciding what to expose the new student to, you have to decide what the purpose of the class is as well as what the purpose of the training is. From there, you can decide what you want to do.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have a new student yesterday. Here are the class content for those 2 hours class.

- Rhino guard.
- Double spears.
- Zombie guard.
- Octopus.
- Separate hands.

I have not taught any stance, or form. What's your opinion on this 2 hours teaching material?
you want to encourage them to come back, what you need is topics that are intresting and engaging, id suggest that forms are nether of those and should be saved for later when students are committed to attend, or at best do 10 mins at the,end,as a,warm down

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
you want to encourage them to come back, what you need is topics that are intresting and engaging, id suggest that forms are nether of those and should be saved for later when students are committed to attend, or at best do 10 mins at the,end,as a,warm down
Who says forms aren't interesting. Personally forms are one of my favourite things to train. Just because /you/ don't like it doesn't mean everyone else doesn't

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I'm really confused here.

1) Forms can be interesting and engaging. At the very least, just as engaging as rote practicing of drills like basic punches, kicks, blocks, or throws and falls (depending on if you're a grappling or striking art). So I reject that premise.

2) Even if we accept your premise that forms are boring and dumb (to paraphrase), how is that relevant? You're quoting him talking about different strategies for entering, which I'm guessing is different guards, shoots, or opening strikes based on the names. Why are you bashing him for teaching forms with that?

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
I like forms and I like shadow boxing/fighting. I think he helps get your body conditioned to moving a certain way which eventually will be second nature. It also helps for conditioning too. And it's just plain fun to do if you like moving your body around.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Could you do a bit of the wrestle at the end?

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Could you do a bit of the wrestle at the end?
I may start wrestling after 2 weeks after a new student feels comfortable of falling.

Most people start from the basic and reach to application. I like to start from application and come back to basic. The end result may be the same. There are just different paths.

For example, I may teach hip throw first. The new student will notice that in order to do a perfect hip throw, he will need a perfect horse stance. When he trains horse stance, he will know why he is doing that for.

When you have seen fish in the lake, you don't mind to come home and fix your fishing net first.

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

- Rhino guard.
- Double spears.
- Zombie guard.
- Octopus.
- Separate hands.

Surprisingly I don't have any opinions or thoughts about this. Let us know how things go with the new student.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Those are some straight up unusual terms

But anywho, good for you! It's nice having New students.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score

- Rhino guard.

- Zombie guard.
- Octopus.
Ummm....defense against rhino attack or zombie attack or octupus attack? :D

I'm not familiar with your terminology. Could you explain those in a little more detail, please?

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with your terminology. Could you explain those in a little more detail, please?
All strategies are used to achieve a "clinch", and change a striking game into a wrestling game ASAP. 1, 2, 3 are used when your opponent punches. 4, 5 are used when your opponent is on guard.

1. Rhino guard - Hold both hands into a big fist like a rhino horn. extend your arms and hide your head behind it. It's used to drill a hole between your opponent's arms.

2. Double spears - Extend both arms. Move both arms as inside circles to deflect incoming straight punch.

3. Zombie guard - Similar to rhino guard but not holding a big fist.

4. Octopus - Right hand grab on your opponent's left wrist. Left hand grab on his right wrist. You then achieve a clinch.

5. Separate hands - Separate your opponent's arms both upward, both downward, left upward and right downward, left downward and right upward. You then enter between arms.

Example of rhino guard:

Last edited:

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
All strategies are used to achieve a "clinch", and change a striking game into a wrestling game ASAP. 1, 2, 3 are used when your opponent punches. 4, 5 are used when your opponent is on guard.
...snip...
Thank you. Now I've got a better visual image.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That varies by individual. I certainly wouldn't be interested in a form on the first day, but judging by the number of people who train in form-heavy styles, I suspect there are quite a few who enjoy them.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I may start wrestling after 2 weeks after a new student feels comfortable of falling.

Most people start from the basic and reach to application. I like to start from application and come back to basic. The end result may be the same. There are just different paths.

For example, I may teach hip throw first. The new student will notice that in order to do a perfect hip throw, he will need a perfect horse stance. When he trains horse stance, he will know why he is doing that for.

When you have seen fish in the lake, you don't mind to come home and fix your fishing net first.
I teach stances less than my instructor did. I mostly let them learn the stances as they learn techniques, when they can more easily (IMO) understand how a change in the stance (wider, taller, offset, etc.) affects utility.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That varies by individual. I certainly wouldn't be interested in a form on the first day, but judging by the number of people who train in form-heavy styles, I suspect there are quite a few who enjoy them.
that's only the ones that don't have the confidence to go line dancing