Training frequency

Emptyhand

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Question to the forum...

Given typical work schedules (example not practicing at a live in dojo) etc... what would you consider to be a good frequency of training to excel at any martial art? Taking in account you should practice at home as much as possible when not in class etc...

Additionally, if you could have private instruction 2 days a week for an hour or so at a time vs. a small class (3-5 students) 3 days a week and an occasional mixed class for an hour or so on a weekend day, which would you think to be the more beneficial choice and why?

In the above scenarios, both instructors are equal in their ranking respectively and equally good instructors.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Question to the forum...

Given typical work schedules (example not practicing at a live in dojo) etc... what would you consider to be a good frequency of training to excel at any martial art? Taking in account you should practice at home as much as possible when not in class etc...

I'd say at least 2-3 times a week. Scheduled class times will of course play a part in that as well as your work schedule.

Additionally, if you could have private instruction 2 days a week for an hour or so at a time vs. a small class (3-5 students) 3 days a week and an occasional mixed class for an hour or so on a weekend day, which would you think to be the more beneficial choice and why?

In the above scenarios, both instructors are equal in their ranking respectively and equally good instructors.

As nice as private lessons are, I'd probably go with the group classes. The classes are still small enough where you'd probably get some good one on one attention as well as having the chance to work with various people.

If you had the option, take a private lesson as well. This'll allow you to work on anything specific that you choose. I do this in addition to my class.

Mike

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd say at least 2-3 times a week. Scheduled class times will of course play a part in that as well as your work schedule.

This sounds right. Make sure your training is diversified: so work on balance in one of your sessions, work on accuracy in one of them, and work on power, or endurance, etc, in the third. Or focus on individual execution of techs in one, and in flow exercises in another. Don't just do the same thing each time, but work a cycle with about 5 or 6 different `themes' over say a three-workout-a week schedule.

As nice as private lessons are, I'd probably go with the group classes. The classes are still small enough where you'd probably get some good one on one attention as well as having the chance to work with various people.

I agree with Mike here. A private is a great way to ramp up what you're getting in a larger class. But if the class size itself is that small, it's virtually a private, and in your scenario, you'd be getting an extra one in the `group' version of the private.

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Three times per week in a group class is optimal. In a group class a different dynamic is at work (as opposed to private instruction) and I believe that group classes are more beneficial. Private classes are nice for polishing rough edges, but the group class is far better in my opinion-

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Privates. I take two private lessons per week and find that they are much more effective in my ability to learn my art.

The training isn't homogenized in to a one-size-fits-all/general-intrest criteria. My instructor has a curriculum that she goes through to teach the material and does it in a way that meets my goals, my needs, and my learning style.

There is much less confusion surrounding something new. There is more precision in my execution. She catches bad habits immediately before they have a chance at burning in. I never spend any part of class lost or confused. The pace of the training also fits my life. Last year I had to step away from training for a bit due to an injury and some work issues. This spring I was able to kick the intensity back up.

There is also no adherence to a rigid timetable. If it takes 16 weeks for me to learn 12 weeks of material, so be it. If it takes 9 weeks for me to learn 12 weeks of material, so be it. My teacher reviews material when she feels that I need to review and not because the calendar says it is time to review. There are no concerns about distractions from spectators watching the lesson, and no issues with training partners that are uncooperative for any reason (including reasons that are no fault of their own).

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Carol brings up some great points - in private lessons, your learned is catered specifically to you. If you are a fast learner, you are allowed to go at your own pace, not at a pace based on the color of your belt or the other students in your class.

Personally, I'd choose the small group setting. I spent about 6 months with private lessons and I learned more than I would have in probably 2 years of a big class. But without the advantage of other people, I have been doing a lot of catching up.

Having one or two others in the class give you people who are more at your level for sparring (rather than someone who can drop you without trying). You can try things out over and over until you feel comfortable and talk on a peer to peer level.

Also, I like being able to stay AFTER class to go over things with the other students.

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think 2-3 times per week for 1-2 hours for a beginner. The most important thing that will help you excell, in my opinion, is to concentrate on the warm-ups, stretches and workouts on your own time and work on the technique with your instructor. Warm ups and stretching can be done every day (I think) whereas you want some recovery time when pushing the endurance limits of your muscles, so as not to overwork and reduce your muscular capacity. Some HI (high intensity) training guys say to work yourself out to the limit and take as much as a week off to recover. Some say twice a week. That's for weight training mind you. Just another bit of jargon.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
From my oft referred to ancient experience in Lau Gar, the three sessions a week of two to three hours duration seemed to work well for me, coupled with daily practise and sparring with a couple of my friends who started the art with me at the same time (or mixing it up sparring with some of the Karate chaps at the University I was attending).

I can see Carol's points about the value of private lessons and I don't necessarily disagree. I do think that a small class can give many of the same benefits tho', with the added advantage of additional input from your fellows. I find this beneficial in my Iaido, in that someone can ask a question or posit an interpretation that I hadn't thought of.

As an aside to the topic, the most beneficial training I've experienced is that when I've been 'teaching'. Passing on what has been inculcated into me has taught me more about what I thought I knew than anything else.

OP
Emptyhand

Emptyhand

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thank you to all that posted.

Currently I am taking private lessons and I am finding the direct attention to corrections in my form and technique have been extremely helpful.

I can also see the benefit of semi-private instruction when you have someone to work with or if someone has a question that I too might benefit by.

Since I am a beginner, this intensive private instruction is/has been a great benefit. I receive instruction 2 to 3 times a week for an hour or so.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Small group classes coupled with private lessons is generally an excellent learning format.
icon14.gif
However, every individual learns differently and therein lies the problem with a one size tailored fits all approach. That also includes that while one person may well become very proficient practicing three times a week another person might still be very inept with the same time put into training. Having said that though, it is generally very favorable to have small group classes couple with some private training. This is exactly how I tailor my training and teaching!
icon6.gif

tahuti

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Don't remember source of article that compared efficiency of private vs group training.
Conclusion of article was that for begginers private lessons gave biggest gain, for intermediate group training and for experts private/small group.

Also need to include your general physical prepardeness and how to you train that, and combat arts specific skill training. Since techniques are harder to achive compared to body ability eg. strength, endurance,...

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The majority of my learning has been done either in a small/medium group or with self-discovery. Most of the time with the small groups, I usually end up being the Uke (tossing dummy) and I learn a definite dimension that I wouldn't normally learn.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Training at home, what I do (not for work schedule at the moment, but school) is get up 20 minutes earlier then I need to. I do light weight lifting for my arms and shoulders, focusing on endurance. Run some Sinawali and foot work drills. I don't have the room, otherwise I would do forms also.
At night for about 20 minutes before bed I lift some more weights, focucing on the endurance of my legs now (still with light weights). Run some Hubud and Wing Chun drills.
Also I do 50 knee benders (the army version of a body weight squat), 50 push ups, and 50 sit ups. I do the push ups after breakfest, sit ups after lunch, and knee benders after dinner. This way it's distributed through out the day, and I dont strain myself too much.

As for class, what we do is: Teusday 2 hours. First hour is for lower - mid level students. Second hour is for advanced students and none required training that we do (I.E. Wing Chun). Friday first hour is sparring, second is none required material and anything anyone feels they need work on. Sunday first hour is meant to be like the second hour on teusday, with the second being like the first hour of teusday.

good luck and good training

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We recommend beginners to practice at least twice per week, intermediate level 3 times minimum and advanced 4 - 5 times per week.
When training for blackbelt 5 - 6 days per week.
Private lessons are in addition to that for students that want to advance more rapidly or focus more in a particular area.
I started taking private lessons right form the start and I still take them.
Group classes give you lots of different training partners while privates help you to get that one on one attention and really advance.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you had the option, take a private lesson as well. This'll allow you to work on anything specific that you choose. I do this in addition to my class

This sounds right. Make sure your training is diversified: so work on balance in one of your sessions, work on accuracy in one of them, and work on power, or endurance, etc, in the third. Or focus on individual execution of techs in one, and in flow exercises in another. Don't just do the same thing each time, but work a cycle with about 5 or 6 different `themes' over say a three-workout-a week schedule.
I agree with Mike here. A private is a great way to ramp up what you're getting in a larger class. But if the class size itself is that small, it's virtually a private, and in your scenario, you'd be getting an extra one in the `group' version of the private.

bushidomartialarts said:
Ditto the above on both counts

Yep on all the above..

Latest Discussions