Your Most Valuable Training Time

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
During each training session, many things can be covered. If you could narrow your training down, what would be the most important area(s) to you?

This can range from, but not limited to the following:

Strikes and kicks

Stance work

Kata

Weapons work

Sparring

Grappling

Drills

Technique work

Obviously, I enjoy all aspects of training, but if I had to narrow it down, I'd have to say it would be breaking down and working on specific techniques with a partner. IMHO, having a body in front of you, working with people of different height/weight, etc., is going to give you the best feel for your material.

Mike

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Uke Waza, going over that basic again and again, then exploring with a partner what can be done with it.

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
My most valuable time is when we just roll. That is the time you can put it all together, try new things, work on conditioning, get the resistance to really test it...it covers all areas.

I feel I improve the most during the times where we do a lot of just straight rolling.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would say any time we're working on good techniques & sweating a lot.:)

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
mmm... kata, or maybe drills. Cuong Nhu has traditional Ving Tsun in it. Not sure what version though. The drills aren't required, but my sensei is cross training in Muay Yat (sorry if i misspelled that), so about once a week we have a psuedo-Wing Chun class. A few drills, Sui Nim Dao (we're still learning it), and some Chi Sao-esc things. Those are fun. I don't like sparring to much, I'm not good at it, and most of the time people tell me what to do, so I get distracted and do worse. Good question though.

Sweet Brighit Bless your Blade,

John

bobster_ice

Black Belt
Reaction score
MJS said:
During each training session, many things can be covered. If you could narrow your training down, what would be the most important area(s) to you?

Strikes and kicks

Stance work

Kata

Weapons work

Sparring

Grappling

Drills

Technique work

Obviously, I enjoy all aspects of training, but if I had to narrow it down, I'd have to say it would be breaking down and working on specific techniques with a partner. IMHO, having a body in front of you, working with people of different height/weight, etc., is going to give you the best feel for your material.

Mike

I would train on my stances, strikes, weapons and technique work.

Bobby

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
changes from week to week, month to month. whatever i'm feeling weak on or wondering most about.

these days, i'm fiddling with a lot of leg work -- adding leg checks to kata and technique -- so practicing techniques with a partner would be 'most important'.

pretty soon, something else will catch my attention as something i find interesting or need to improve on.

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
MJS said:

Strikes and kicks

Stance work

Kata

Weapons work

Sparring

Grappling

Drills

Technique work

Mike
Two man conditioning drills, bag work, and cardio. Those 3 are the absolute must do's. If your body is not conditioned, then you cant use your techniques. You must be able to use your body as a weapon if you want your martial arts to effective.
Bag work will get you used to hitting things full force and teach you how to strike without hurting yourself, things like stubbed toes and sprained wrists dont feel to good..
If you have no cardio then you cant fight very long before you tire out. Jumping rope, jogging, is a must.

Mcura

Green Belt
Reaction score
I believe that the underlying principles of a technique are an important focus for me at this moment. If Technique A is taught in class today, what is the principle that makes it work?

Is it taking the opponent's center of balance? (Can I make this throw work not only against someone my size, but also against the really huge guy on ther other side of the floor?)

Is it proper positioning of my feet? (Can I step to a place where I am safe, and still present a threat to my opponent?)

Is it dominating the center line? (How can I suppress my opponent's strike, and leave room for me to strike at will?)

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good question...as of now I'm just trying to prepare for my 2nd..so I'd say Dahn Bong Sool and Dahn Kum Sool..weapons.

But if it was all left up to *me*..I'd end up doing flow drills and freestyle practice. Flow drills to get the techniques imbedded and freestyle to bring it out.

Latest Discussions