Finding or founding.......

jkd friend

Green Belt
Reaction score
What is better when trying to better yourself in the MAs is it finding new arts to study or found one of your own with vast study in the arts with work over time to fine tune this new or hybrid art. With Bruce Lee and other founders of arts in mind when giving point of view.:asian::asian:

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is better when trying to better yourself in the MAs is it finding new arts to study or found one of your own with vast study in the arts with work over time to fine tune this new or hybrid art. With Bruce Lee and other founders of arts in mind when giving point of view.:asian::asian:

IMHO, I'd say find a new art to cross train in. I train in Kenpo. I wanted to better my ground game, so I went to a BJJ school. I wanted to explore weapons (blade and stick) more in depth, so I train in Arnis.

Creating your own art....I think I'll refrain from commenting for now.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Find an art you like have a great base in it and then find other arts to fill in the gaps. As far as creating your own Art come on it has been done to death leave it be and continue to train and better one self.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Perfect the one you are studying in first. Learn all there is to know about it and become the best you can possibly be before branching out to learn other arts.
If after mastering your first art or at least being in it a good number of years you wish to expand your knowledge then by al means find a 2nd art and start learning.
As for starting your own art, well have you mastered at least 2 arts and studied a number of years in each of the arts you are going to use for this new hybrid art? If not then NO keep studying and learning before you go off proclaiming yourself some great teacher

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't think that founding your own art is something that is done very quickly. I think it happens over a very long time, by gifted, hard working people, and I think there needs to be something unique about it to truely be a new art. I think for the vast majority of people it makes more sense to cross train in existing arts. I think this is best done after getting a good foundation in a base art first.

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think differently on this matter. I would prefer to master the style I am learning rather than go learn a new style, or found my own. I would rather be a master of 1 than jack of all trades , master of none. In my lifestyle there is no need to learn extra styles. I am simply content with Kung Fu training and I feel it has all that I need. We do sparring, forms, weapons, Chin Na, Shue Chiao, Qi Gong.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We all develop our "own" martial art; the particular choices and emphasis in my training aren't identical to that of my teacher, or even my classmates. Whether that's enough to be a "new" style depends on who you ask... If I have students who teach my way of doing things to enough other people, and they continue passing it on as mine, then I guess I founded a new style.

To many people set out to create their own style, rather than letting it happen organically as a result of teaching something different. If you try to create an art, I don't think you'll be very successful (with rare exceptions).

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Continuing to train in one art or picking up different things from different arts and making them your own is a way to better yourself.

IMO, the vast majority of people that found their own hybrid art do so to try and make a ton of cash and/or to stroke their own egos.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you study an art(s) long and deeply enough, you will create your own art.

Hello, GREAT POINT AND VERY TRUE!!!!

Each of us will adapt what works for us as individuals, each person is an individual with it own strenghts and weakness.

Bruce Lee had one leg longer than the other...that is why he fought with his RIGHT leg forward and he work at it to make it very effective for himself.

Like dancing...each will develop his own beat or movement or style of the same dance to meet the individual person....TO MAKE IT HIS OWN!!

Teach one to cook hamburgers...by the end of the month...you would have many styles and ways to cook hamburgers

Aloha, (teriyaki burgers is a flavoriate here!!) ...even teriyaki Meatloafs!!!

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you study an art(s) long and deeply enough, you will create your own art.

that may not have been your intention but I agree it will happen if you study and teach long enough

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think that it is better to find an art or arts and develope unique personal style. I disagree that if you study long enough and deeply enough that you develope a new art, though you will most certainly create your unique style and approach to an existing art or arts.

Having said that, I don't look down on practitioners who do found their own arts. Personally, though, I find such arts to simply be clear hybrids or stylizations of existing arts expressed through the individuals thoughts and beliefs.

Daniel

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
IMO, the vast majority of people that found their own hybrid art do so to try and make a ton of cash and/or to stroke their own egos.

Boy ain't that the truth. I personally have known several individuals who have not just started their own organizations within an existing system, but have claimed to have started their very own system. Let me describe three of these individuals.

1. The totally delusional clown: With a fairly low rank (Nidan?) in a Korean system, he "invented" his own system and began advertising to attract students. His skills were poor to mediocre at best, and my green belts could out-spar him. He did manage to keep a few students, such as his fiancee and his elderly mother. Eventually, he disappeared from the local scene.

2. The enterprising egotist: He was my Si-Hing ("elder brother") in the Wing Chun system I was studying at that time and was an assistant instructor at our school (probably about equal to a senior brown-belt). Our school closed, so he took one short seminar with another Kung Fu master, then decided to start his own system. He had good sparring skills and was big, athletic, cocky and had a huge ego as well. Once he crashed my class wanting to spar. Anyway he eventually disappeared only to turn up as the featured master on the cover of a recent issue of
Black Belt Magazine. I really don't know what his skills are since I haven't seen him in about 25 years. He may be very good and making a bundle. I did check out his resume on his website however, and the only part of his training that I did know about (at our old WC school) was grossly inflated.

3. The humble individualist: This guy was once a Wing Tsun student of mine, and a fellow FMA student under a well known master. He's also a long time boxer and has trained with many reputable people in a variety of systems. About a dozen years ago (having at that point some twenty years experience in the MA) he began teaching his own system of FMA. He felt this was the only fair thing to do, since he trained under various people and used a synthesis of all their teachings. Also this is common in the FMAs. Many of the current masters present their own systems after having trained with various other people. I asked this man why he went it alone, and he replied that, in part he did it out of respect for all his teachers, since each had contributed something of value. And, since he has altered his teaching significantly, he feels it only fair to call it by his name, but always giving credit where credit is due. Incidently, he is very good and although "mature" in years, can really lay it down.

Well, IMHO, as you pointed out, most who start their own style are like individuals 1 and 2 profiled above. On the other hand, if you find somebody like instructor no. 3, you just might want to train with him. That's what I chose to do.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you are interested in something, chances are it already exists somewhere. Problem is, it may not be available in your area. But you will go further if you train under a competent and knowledgeable teacher, so I always advise that.

Don't try and "found" your own system unless you are extremely experienced. And even then, don't do it.

I'll echo Arnisador, eventually you will have your own take on things, and how you do it and teach it will probably be somewhat unique.

I'll also express agreement with Geezer's post in profiling the typical personality type who "founds" his own system. Most are to be avoided. Occasionally you find a diamond in the trash.

Brian S

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Find someone 'better than you' and train with them.

Radhnoti

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have a friend that's founded his own system. The organization he studied with for 15 or so years got incredibly political and controlling. The head of the system was fine but all the subordinates drove him nuts until he left. My friend was already making his living as an instructor, our area really has no "masters" to speak of...in fact it would require a 2 hour trip to reach someone of significantly greater ability and/or knowledge (in my opinion). He does continue to learn from a great wrestling coach (2 hr. trip) when they can synchronize their schedules. He also trains with local friends he's made in other styles, just kind of trading ideas.
Anyway, my friend felt it was improper to teach the same system he walked away from...so he put his own curriculum together using his strengths and basing his techniques on similar underlying principles. He joined an organization that evaluated his system and his skills. The organization kind of "vouched for" his system, and awarded him a rank higher than what he previously held in his original organization. He also keeps getting certified to teach practical courses he can teach local police, schools, etc.
Normally I'd agree with the majority opinion concerning people creating their own system, but having seen my friends entire situation as it unwound...I don't see how he could have acted appropriately in another way.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Anyway, my friend felt it was improper to teach the same system he walked away from...

Why did he feel it would be improper? Why not teach the same, assuming he was happy with it, but just separate himself from the organization and be independent?

Latest Discussions