Plans for August

snoack

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So, by now you guys know that I'm declining to test for my black belt this time around, and know the reasons.

August is a sparring month at our school- we run in 2 month cycles, 1st month is forms/stances and positions/technical kicks, 2nd month is sparring and techniques and drills.

My toe is in bad shape (big toe, left foot), but I can still run and work my heavy bag, as I have more control over the intensity and force used in these things.

So, my instructor wants me to spend more time assisting with classes. What I'm thinking is spending one class day per week focused on that, and training in the Saturday class only, as that is always a day dedicated strictly to forms work.

What do you instructors think of that idea?

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think it is a great idea. It will help you to further polish your material. Not to mention that you need to test when you feel ready for your black belt exam. It is not a race, so don't forget it. Just don't let it keep you down and keep training and before you know it you will be posting that your test is coming, and then that you passed it !!

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If that's what you think will help you the most, then that's what you should do. There's only so much advice we can give via the 'net, without seeing you perform - but students who worry about their performance this way, and find ways to work on it (instead of the ones who just show up to class and do nothing else) tend to be the best ones. Keep doing what you're doing, and I think you'll be fine - and do let us know how it's going.

OP
S

snoack

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If that's what you think will help you the most, then that's what you should do. There's only so much advice we can give via the 'net, without seeing you perform - but students who worry about their performance this way, and find ways to work on it (instead of the ones who just show up to class and do nothing else) tend to be the best ones. Keep doing what you're doing, and I think you'll be fine - and do let us know how it's going.

I hadn't even thought about it that way, but it makes sense for me.

I'm the guy you always see in the back of the room stretching, working on various techniques, and practicing before class. I am CONSTANTLY evaluating my form, balance, movement, etc...

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think you should do what makes you feel comfortable. The thing I want to stress is letting yourself heal properly. Toes are a pain in the backside and if you do not give them a chance they will be a problem forever. Good luck.

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree with the other posters.

But in concern for your toe, have you thought about using MA shoes while in practice? I don't like using wrestling shoes, but I do when my big toe acts up. I feel a little quicker in sparring (with or without shoes).

Latest Discussions