Favorite MA you are never planning on practicing

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What is everyones favorite MA outside of the arts they have, will or currently do practice in, and why? It can be your favorite by being the most interesting, most effective, very rare or any other reason, but please add that in to your why, as well as why you won't ever practice it.
Mine is Pencak Silat, due to its history and that I feel it would be one of the most effective MA's on an ancient battlefield, and I will never learn it because I highly doubt i will be able to find a teacher I can trust that is capable of teaching it, and its not important enough to me to learn that I would make a pilgrimage to Indonesia (or to wherever there is a credible teacher) to learn it.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any of the Koryu sword arts. I'm fascinated by swordwork and I'm pretty good with European blades, but I've never had the opportunity for more than superficial training in JSA.

kitkatninja

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think for me (outside my art) is Japanese Jiu Jitsu (or similar based art). I started the MA back in the late 90's and while I can see the benefits of grappling, I could never get to grips (pardon the pun) with it, even though I've tried Judo and Ninpo (both Genbukan & Bujinkan). Maybe one day... But for now I'm happy with what I do :)

Uncle

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Muay Boran/Krabi Krabong

I find it to be a more straightforward Silat-like style with a lot les pivoting and circular techniques. I love the weapon component and some of the old techniques which are less ring oriented. I don't think I'd be able to find a credible teacher, am not willing to move to Thailand, and there are other more practical martial arts I'd train in before it.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sambo. A guy I work with trains in it and he's showed me some things, we have sparred a little and its really cool. He drives like 6 hours just to get to where he trains. And I'm not driving that far.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Capoeira. Looks cool as hell, looks incredibly fun, and I've never seen a grossly (or even mildly) overweight capoeira player, but is so impractical that I could never justify it to myself.

rframe

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'd never seen that before. Is it really a MA style or just a Hodge podge of different arts all fighting each other?

Just screwballs with sticks and chains from the videos I've seen.

Noah_Legel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I would love to try Silat, and it isn't that I "never plan on practicing" it, but there is only one person who teaches it in my state, and he teaches from his home about an hour away, so it's not very likely that I'll make it there. Even if I do, it will probably not be very often.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are so many arts that look fascinating to me that I'd love to have had the chance to get into--both Northern and Southern Preying Mantis (for separate reasons, as they're so different), for example.

Black Belt Jedi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My favourite style of Martial Art is Capoeira because it's an art that has lots of History behind it and I am also learning my African ancestral roots. I wouldn't learn this style because of its heavy emphasis on Acrobatic moves, and there are so many acrobatic moves that I cannot do. Maybe at least I can get the fundamentals of the art.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Muay Thai. I'm old, I don't like getting my legs kicked any more. Besides, I look terrible in Muay Thai shorts.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Police/Military Sanda, simple direct, no nonsense hard training. My sifu and I had a falling out so I no longer train it and finding people who "really" know it AND are willing to teach a white guy...or any guy for that matter is incredibly hard to find

rframe

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ninjitsu

As a traditional karateka who wears a plain white gi, I have a secret burning inner desire to put on a black gi with patches and a hood, strap a dozen bizarre weapons to my body, rappel off the sides of buildings, penetrate enemy fortresses, and take out bad guys with my throwing stars and a super secret ultra lethal death punch.... basically I really want to release my inner 8-year-old.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Never gonna happen, but I would go learn some Dillman stuff. Pain can really buy you some time, and all one need do it look for each point on a circle where you can apply pain, such as slapping someone and making a fist in their skin on the return. Its all right there in your own arts, but I want to zap them from across the room. :)

Latest Discussions