Favorite fantasy MA style

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ameri-do-te!

The flailings of a pale piece of pig's ear-far beneath the notice of the Night Tigers of Sinanju-his pathetic motions are nothing -NOTHING-before the glory that is Sinanju.

"Shibumi." Firstly,get it right, it's 裸/殺す : "naked/kill/." (hidaka/korusu?)

Shibumi is a real goal to be pursued by us all.....

Secondly, no Japanese nonsense can even hope to shine at all when bathed in the light of SInanju, the sun source of all martial arts.
He..he...he,...."Shibumi." :rolleyes:
rolling.gif
I am going to threaten you with * , so, take that!
* For the safety of the reader and myself, this time, I won't say all the horrible, heart exploding, basket ball dunkin', mind blowing techs I will use on your little Sun Source. :cool:

OP
LibbyW

LibbyW

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My favourite fantasy style is from the Wuxia world, I wonder how many here have heard of it: The 9 swords of Dugu (独孤九剑)

It is a style of swordsmanship based on undermining weapon types (including unarmed, with the assumption that any fighter able to go unarmed vs a weapon would be exceedingly skilled). Other characteristics being that there are no fixed forms, only a set of underlying changes that focus on offensive deadly intent....

From what I remember, the '9 swords' refer to

1. The overall theory / set of changes
2. Sword vs Sword
3. Sword vs Sabre
4. Sword vs Spear/Staff
5. Sword vs Whips
6. Sword vs Chain/Flails
7. Sword vs Palm (unarmed styles)
8. Sword vs Projectiles
9. Sword vs Chi attacks (we're talking about fantasy right?)

The story was set in around the 15th Century in Ming Dynasty China, and the style itself dated from 11th Century in the Song Dynasty, so understandably there's no Sword vs firearms :cool:

I can't say I've heard of the 9 swords of Dugu, but it does sound quite interesting. Is this something that's been translated to English?...My hanzi isn't so great.
L

OP
LibbyW

LibbyW

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I was also going to throw in the Suio-ryu style of this badass ookami daddy:
Kuzure.jpg

But then I realized that Suio-ryu is an actual sword school :facepalm:
But I dare say...as good as Wakayama's abilities are, I don't think all his techniques in the movies were really possible - so it's kind of valid?
L

OP
LibbyW

LibbyW

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I am going to threaten you with * , so, take that!
* For the safety of the reader and myself, this time, I won't say all the horrible, heart exploding, basket ball dunkin', mind blowing techs I will use on your little Sun Source. :cool:

I'm wondering if Sinanju uses the technique of "surprise buttsecks!", because I've been caught out with that one before:eek:...one might say...*giggle*...watch your back:)
L

zzj

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I can't say I've heard of the 9 swords of Dugu, but it does sound quite interesting. Is this something that's been translated to English?...My hanzi isn't so great.
L

I had not thought to look for an English translation, but thanks to the magic of Google, who knew? There actually exists an online translation of the novel! --> The Smiling Proud Wanderer - An epic Wuxia Kung Fu fiction novel by Jin Yong - English Translation

The part that describes the Dugu 9 swords is in Chapter 10 of the 1st volume ---> Chapter 10 Sword Training

I should say my ability to read Chinese is not great either, and reading the novel again in English is really enjoyable although some of the translation is understandably awkward. There are other OTT MA styles in the novel such as the Star Sucking skill the literally sucks the life from a person and the Sunflower scroll, where for the price of one's manhood (i.e. self inflicted castration), one will gain impossibly fast speed/reflexes and near invincible skills...

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm wondering if Sinanju uses the technique of "surprise buttsecks!", because I've been caught out with that one before:eek:...one might say...*giggle*...watch your back:)
L

Pah, Sinanju stole it from PokeJutsu

Surprise_72ebce_1900380.gif

OP
LibbyW

LibbyW

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I had not thought to look for an English translation, but thanks to the magic of Google, who knew? There actually exists an online translation of the novel! --> The Smiling Proud Wanderer - An epic Wuxia Kung Fu fiction novel by Jin Yong - English Translation

The part that describes the Dugu 9 swords is in Chapter 10 of the 1st volume ---> Chapter 10 Sword Training

I should say my ability to read Chinese is not great either, and reading the novel again in English is really enjoyable although some of the translation is understandably awkward. There are other OTT MA styles in the novel such as the Star Sucking skill the literally sucks the life from a person and the Sunflower scroll, where for the price of one's manhood (i.e. self inflicted castration), one will gain impossibly fast speed/reflexes and near invincible skills...

Thanks for the share, I will give it a look.
Also....Sunflower scroll self castration :wideyed: That is a real devotion to the arts...yikes!
L

OP
LibbyW

LibbyW

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Pah, Sinanju stole it from PokeJutsu

Surprise_72ebce_1900380.gif

NOOOOO! Pikachu!!!
:bawling:
Another sad victim of Surprise Buttsecks. Seriously guys...I'm sure there is a charity where we can donate to stop this sort of thing happening to other Pikachus.
L

zzj

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the share, I will give it a look.
Also....Sunflower scroll self castration :wideyed: That is a real devotion to the arts...yikes!
L

Well.. to quote wiki:

In the afterword, Jin Yong mentions that The Smiling, Proud Wanderer can be read as a political allegory disguised as a wuxia novel.[5] As an allegory, it can happen in "any dynasty or organisation".[6] Jin Yong also stated in the afterword that after the novel was published, Vietnamese politicians have used the names of Yue Buqun and Zuo Lengshan as derogatory terms against others in parliamentary sessions.

Although Jin Yong did not leave any unequivocal evidence, many people believe that characters and factions in the book are representations of people and great powers of the late 1960s, the time when the novel was written. Liu Guozhong believes that the Five Mountain Sword Sects Alliance represents the Soviet Union with Zuo Lengshan as a personification of Joseph Stalin, while the Sun Moon Holy Cult emblematises China with Dongfang Bubai representing Mao Zedong. The other major sects, including Shaolin,Wudang and Emei, represent the United States, the United Kingdom and other NATO members.[7]

This highly political book is written from an interesting perspective. Instead of looking at the situation from the point of view of a politician who is either seeking to start a rebellion or struggling to keep the world peaceful, the main character Linghu Chong is a lonely individual who does not seek supremacy in a power-driven world.

The real reason I suspect is to represent the lengths to which some will go to for political power, in the context of the political landscape in the 60's... Dugu 9 swords is ultimately anti-establishment, and it is fitting that the carefree hero is gifted this kind of skill against the backdrop of institutional hypocrisy..

Last edited:

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thinking about (great thread Libby :)) there was a Sci-Fi program called Babylon 5. In it was a race called the "Minbari" One particular episode had a young "ranger" or in their language "Anla-shok". The character had to face down fear. In this case it was a nasty crim who was the typical front man coward. Suffice to say that he got beat up by the pike the Minbari used and also their MA. The pike is really cool as it folds in on itself to leave itself the size of a baked beans can.

This is a scene between Marcus (Jason Carter) and Neroon (John Vickery)

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
My favourite fantasy style is from the Wuxia world, I wonder how many here have heard of it: The 9 swords of Dugu (独孤九剑)

It is a style of swordsmanship based on undermining weapon types (including unarmed, with the assumption that any fighter able to go unarmed vs a weapon would be exceedingly skilled). Other characteristics being that there are no fixed forms, only a set of underlying changes that focus on offensive deadly intent....

From what I remember, the '9 swords' refer to

1. The overall theory / set of changes
2. Sword vs Sword
3. Sword vs Sabre
4. Sword vs Spear/Staff
5. Sword vs Whips
6. Sword vs Chain/Flails
7. Sword vs Palm (unarmed styles)
8. Sword vs Projectiles
9. Sword vs Chi attacks (we're talking about fantasy right?)

The story was set in around the 15th Century in Ming Dynasty China, and the style itself dated from 11th Century in the Song Dynasty, so understandably there's no Sword vs firearms :cool:
you forgot sword vs car :rolleyes::D

qianfeng

Green Belt
Reaction score
Clearly the greatest style is 葵花宝典/sunflower treasured manual, only problem is u have to cut of your man part to do it ;). Story is from 15th century china, The Smiling Peoud Warrior.