Reaction score
Kaio-ken! Raaaahhhhh

Goku_Kaioken_Wallpaper_by_juanimillonario.jpg

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glock Fu and Chic Chic Bang are not fantasy arts...

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was just wondering what peeps preferences were towards fantasy martial arts.
After a little bit of digging I've found that there is a whole wealth of made up, crazily OTT, fictitious martial arts styles.
I do know Sherlock Holmes trained in a fictional martial art called Baritsu, I don't know what it was supposed to consist of though.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do know Sherlock Holmes trained in a fictional martial art called Baritsu, I don't know what it was supposed to consist of though.

So... you think Bartitsu is fictional, but you think a Sai can be used effectively to break a katana, TMNT are a good resource for MA references and that Funakoshi changed shotokan.
And you're still shocked that your posts get facepalmed?
triple-facepalm.jpg

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
So... you think Bartitsu is fictional

I don't think Baritsu is fictional I know it is.
And I never said I thought a sai could break a katana. I wasn't sure and I was actually quite skeptical when I heard of it being able to do that. That's why I started the thread.

And here's one for you, a quadruple.

Ordinarily I would not lower myself to this level but this time I couldn't resist :)

Last edited:

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Erm, Sherlock Holmes is fictional, the art is very real!!!!!!!! Oh I am soo poised :D

Bartitsu is real. Baritsu was Arthur Conan Doyle's misspelling of the real art.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes he did that on purpose to distinguish between his fictional martial art and the real art.
Maybe, maybe not. At this point no one has any way of knowing. Wikipedia has a decent summation:
Wikipedia said:
The term "baritsu" did not exist outside the pages of the English editions of The Adventure of the Empty House and a 1900 London Times newspaper report titled "Japanese Wrestling at the Tivoli," which covered a Bartitsu demonstration in London but misspelled the name as baritsu.[18] It is possible that Conan Doyle, who, like E.W. Barton-Wright, was writing for Pearson’s Magazine during the late 1890s, had direct familiarity with Bartitsu but altered the term in order to distance it for intellectual-proprietary reasons, avoid misattribution of Holmes' techniques, and/or make it more consistent with Japanese phonology; alternatively, he may have been only more vaguely aware of Bartitsu and simply misremembered or misheard the term. A third possibility is that Conan Doyle may have used the 1900 London Times article as source material, copying the "baritsu" misspelling verbatim; particularly in that he had Holmes define "baritsu" as "Japanese wrestling", which was the same phrase used in the newspaper headline.