Fat, old, and a bit nervous

kpk

White Belt
Reaction score
Introducing myself, I am Kevin 32, fat (233lb) and nervous over signing up and starting my first TKD or any MA class for that matter. Decided on an ITF TKD school when I walked in on a sparring session and saw a man twice my age or more whipping everyones ***. So just wondering if any of you fine folk on here has started in a similar situation and how it worked out for you.
Also not to concerned about the whole this arts kicks this art, haven't fought since High school plus own pepper spray if I ever need it.
thanks in advance for any answers or advice

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Welcome to the site. I wasn't the same weight as you, but my flexibility was next to nothing when I started attending a school in the mid-90's that CLAIMED to be kung fu but was really wushu. Still, it was fun for a while. I was a bit intimidated by how everyone else was more fit and flexible than me, but I ignored it and charged ahead full-steam. Then of course I got into wing chun. The stretching stopped and my flexibility went down the drain. It's nice to have if you practice a style with high kicks but, since I don't need it, I don't make any effort to get it back.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Introducing myself,

Hi Kevin. Welcome to MartialTalk.

I am Kevin 32, fat (233lb) and nervous over signing up and starting my first TKD or any MA class for that matter. Decided on an ITF TKD school when I walked in on a sparring session and saw a man twice my age or more whipping everyones ***. So just wondering if any of you fine folk on here has started in a similar situation and how it worked out for you.

1 - 32 is not old; our oldest student started when she was 66. She's now 70, and doing just fine.
2 - Your weight is irrelevant (especially without knowing more... 233 isn't fat if you're 6'4"). Go train. That's all that really matters.

Also not to concerned about the whole this arts kicks this art, haven't fought since High school plus own pepper spray if I ever need it.

I'd be shocked if you heard any of that. Any martial artist worthy of the name knows it's the practitioner, not the art, that matters.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to MT.

As Dirty Dog said, 32 isn't old. I had a guy 64 start for the first time two years ago so age is no barrier. Everyone basically trains to the level of their physical ability and sometimes just that little bit extra so forget the few extra pounds and get stuck in.
:asian:

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Kevin welcome to MartialTalk. As everyone else has said 32 is young and all that matters is your will to learn. Just get out there and train and enjoy the system you have decided to train in.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to MT, Kevin. My oldest student is 65. And as far as I can tell, you're not even the oldest person in this thread. :karate: Enjoy your training. All my best to you.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Introducing myself, I am Kevin 32, fat (233lb) and nervous over signing up and starting my first TKD or any MA class for that matter. Decided on an ITF TKD school when I walked in on a sparring session and saw a man twice my age or more whipping everyones ***. So just wondering if any of you fine folk on here has started in a similar situation and how it worked out for you.

As others have said, 32 is nowhere near too old. We've got people with gray hair starting at my school.

Taekwondo is more cardio than probably any martial art except Capoeira. You might do cardio along with those other arts, but TKD itself is a lot of cardio. Doing TKD is a great workout, and will actually help you get into shape, so I strongly recommend it!

As to which martial art kicks which...well, TKD is mostly about kicks! Regarding pepper spray, just remember that when you use pepper spray, you're going to get a lot of it as well (hence why Mythbusters used hazmat suits when testing the pepper spray + tazer = fireball myth).

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
We had a guy start at 55 train for twelve weeks and then competed in a boxing match.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Welcome Kevin,

Don't think, just do it. I'm 39 and just started Hapkido and loving it. Just after a month of training 2-3 nights a week I can feel my core strengthening, and weight is starting to drop.

Only advise I have is get gi\dobak pants that are elastic, I did, and it's much more comfortable and helped me focus on the lessons rather than constant re-tying which was distracting. I was nervous the first time, but I realized very fast that the people there just wanted to train and didn’t care about my appearance, and naturally want fellow students to succeed. My mind was my worst enemy to start with, but got over it quickly, when I look around at everyone who were all sorts of shapes and sizes (and age).

Good luck, and go train!

jez

OP
K

kpk

White Belt
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for supportive replies. You are correct im not old ( just feel old and sore after first class) but just gonna go with it.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Stretch and warm up properly before. Ice afterwards. Make sure you get some exercise in each day. So you are not shocking your body too much.
Massages are good for recovery. So is swimming.

Eat better and drop the weight and you will have an easier time of it.

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to Martial Talk. I hope that you keep posting on your journey (as well as any other thread that interests you) Old...call it experience rather than age. Everything that can be considered an optical can become an opportunity with the proper perspective. How can a fat man fight...well he can't run away LOL Good luck with your training

Regards
Brian King

Takai

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for supportive replies. You are correct im not old ( just feel old and sore after first class) but just gonna go with it.

Welcome to MT. That soreness is normal. Remember nothing worthwhile is inherently easy...it all takes work.

Enjoy the Journey.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
welcome to the dark side. Any cookies left?

I was 35 when I started....my friend 60.

you might end up weighing way more than your 233...but all solid muscle! ;)

The important part is to enjoy the journey and getting in shape! TKD s a ton of fun with the right people!

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
While I think you would technically get in shape better by going to the gym 2-3 times a week, there is definitely something to be said about having fun. Running on a treadmill or lifting sets over and over gets tiresome. Kicking and punching is fun! If it's fun, you're more likely to try harder, and less likely to talk yourself out of going to class.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If you keep at it, the time you reach 33, you will have lost weight. It's not about who you were, it's about who you are and who you will be.

Gnarlie

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
While I think you would technically get in shape better by going to the gym 2-3 times a week, there is definitely something to be said about having fun. Running on a treadmill or lifting sets over and over gets tiresome. Kicking and punching is fun! If it's fun, you're more likely to try harder, and less likely to talk yourself out of going to class.

Agree with this all the way to the bank, or the gym as it were. Boredom is the number one obstacle that stands between people and fitness.

Takai

Senior Master
Reaction score
Agree with this all the way to the bank, or the gym as it were. Boredom is the number one obstacle that stands between people and fitness.

I would have thought that it was procrastination.

Latest Discussions