Fancy 'Trick' Kicks

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Who practices them ?

What's your system if you use them in your school.

Do you use them in Tournaments?

What practical value do you think they have if any?

In our school we don't practice them but some are taught.. Most of our kicks in the tecs are solar plex high.. though we do go for the head when sparring :)

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by KenpoTess
Who practices them ?

In our school we don't practice them but some are taught.. Most of our kicks in the tecs are solar plex high.. though we do go for the head when sparring :)

In my TKD days I used to be able to do some tricky stuff.

Here are some:

- Jump spinning heel breaking 2 boards being held by a guy sitting on someones shoulders.

- Flying side kick breaks; 4 boards, 3 holders.

-split kick breaks w/ 2 holders.

-I hold my hand up and someone holds a board that level. I jump and break it w/ a jump front.

-My regular Ax kick board break seemed impressive also.

I don't do these/haven't done these in about 5 years. They were fun to play with, and they did help me with my over all feet agility today; something that I find lacks w/non-kickers. However, these techniques would be dangerous in a combat situation, not to mention that they probably would fail horribly. Since I train for "real life" now, and not exhibition or competitions, I haven't felt the need to practice my creative kicking skills.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Back when I used to tournament fight here are some tricky kicks that seemed to work for me:

Turn kick (roundhouse) to the head. Most people turn their hips and lean way back with this one. I had developed the ability to throw the kick from an almost straight up and down standing position and fairly fast (almost as fast as the average punch). So, the technique wasn't as telegraphed or expected as the normal "roundhouse." So I would time it to where as soon as the corresponding hand (right or left) would drop slightly below the chin, I'd pop it in there real fast. I mostly tagged people with my lead right leg. I could get people with this one who were very good, because it was so sneaky.

Twist kick to the abdomen, usually under the ribs. This is a good groin shot as well if you are allowed to strike there in the tournament. A twist kick almost resembles a front kick, except the knee twists outward. It snakes around peoples guard, under arms, etc., where the front kick just goes straight in. I would often pull this one off after a turn kick fake, or if my turn kick got blocked.

Hook kick to turn kick. The old bring the guard down with the hook kick, then slam them with the turn kick worked for me also sometimes.

WHAT DIDN"T WORK FOR ME: Cresent kicks and ax kicks didn't work for me in tournaments. Part of this might be because I was so short. I couldn't get the distence I needed for any of these because of my height, and If I was as close as I needed to be, I risked getting my leg caught and ending up on my @$$.

The basic Front, side, roundhouse worked good for me also, and I found that as the contact got harder, I resorted to more simpler kicks.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by PAUL
WHAT DIDN"T WORK FOR ME: Cresent kicks and ax kicks didn't work for me in tournaments. Part of this might be because I was so short. I couldn't get the distence I needed for any of these because of my height, and If I was as close as I needed to be, I risked getting my leg caught and ending up on my @$$.

I'm only 5'7" and have made my axe kicks and some crescents work well. If you could ask some of my old sparring partners they'd tell you the same. About 3 yrs. ago I went in a tourn. and fought someone taller than I and yes; one of my points scored on him was being on the aggressive side attacking him. He left me just enough room to get him on the side of the head.:asian:

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by KenpoTess
Who practices them ?

I used to quite a bit but not near as much now. Very seldom do I get a bug up my butt to practice such kicks. When you are 16, 17, 18 they are cool and they rawk when you can show them off but now there's no need to keep up on them.

TKD, you know.;)

Yes and no, some are successful and some aren't. It all depends on which ones suit you and how much you practice them.

Now I don't believe they have much practical use especially that damned 540 one.:shrug:

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I did practice them for a while. I didn't use them in tournies, except for the 360 roundhouse (tornato kick) speed break. I still do the split kick, double front kick, flying kicks ect ..... the easy ones for fun. I could never seem to get the 540 so I gave up LOL.

They have no SD value. They are just for fun. And I do TKD.

RanaHarmamelda

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Heh -- TKD's my current style, and we practice many of these.

My favorite is what we call the tornado -- I've seen it called a double smash in some kung-fu systems -- it's a jumpy, spinny, outside-inside crescent kick -- really the only jump-spinny kick I like.

I've also done the standard flying side, jumpy-spinny-cescent, and jumpy-spinny-hook, as well as the plain jumpy and plain spinny types.

Personally, I use none of those in sparring -- I spar/fight using only rounds, fronts, and variations thereof -- mostly because I like to be grounded and balanced, and jumpy, spinny, and jumpy-spinny kicks tend to be less grounded or balanced.

However -- I do appreciate and enjoy the athleticism these kicks require -- even if I may never use them in a fight/sparring match, I enjoy learning and trying to perfect them. So for practical value, they do improve your balance and other lower body atrributes a decent amount. Especially balance.

OP
KenpoTess

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well seems the consensus is these kicks are not for reality but more show n' tell.. or guess that would be show and show *G*

we've got a 10 yo student who has a wild spinning inside outside crescent and man does he get height with both.. Very impressive .. he's going to be one excellent technician as he matures.. ~!!

Latest Discussions