Etiquette

M

Mickey

Hi all,

I was curious about etiquette in general.
I know that people have bows and salutes, and say sir, yet
is this taught the first class, or on going over the first few classes or monthes?

Mick

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Mickey

Hi all,

is this taught the first class, or on going over the first few classes or monthes?

Mick

My school is very laid back when it comes to that aspect. My Sifu will never tell you to your face to bow when entering the building, or bow to him, or what not. Our bows are more earned out of respect than anything. Our senior students lead by example and everyone pretty much picks it up. When someone else bows to you, you are pretty disrespectful not to bow back, then you pick up on bowing yourself.
Just my schools take on it.

7sm

OP
S

Skarbromantis

Our school we dont do any of that, but in other schools I have heard:

Bow in and bow out when entering the school

Never place hands on hips, keep them at side or crossed behind the back

Dont speek when Sifu is speeking

anyone have any others

Skard1

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Mickey

Hi all,

Mick

We teach all the etiquette in the intro lessons.
:asian:

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Much of the etiquette is taught the first day.
Some of it must be learned as time goes by.
SImple courtesy is perhaps the most important to me

OP
S

Skarbromantis

Yeah but what is taught?

What are the common ones for most schools?

Not that I really care , just a little courious.

Skard1

OP
M

Master of Blades

We are just taught to respect those of a higher grade then us and to be polite and courteouse.

OP
G

GouRonin

The best way to meet new schools is to walk right in wearing a hockey helment and yell, "I'm a super ninja and I can kick y'all's butts! Who's first for the ride of pain?"

School owners and head instructors like that sort of thing.
:rolleyes:

OP
M

Master of Blades

Gou.....what did I tell you bout spamming!

Aegis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
In Jujitsu we gradually introduce novices to the idea of etiquette. We teach to bow as you enter the dojo, wait by the side of the mat to be bowed on by the senior grade present, bow before training with a partner, bow after training with a partner, bow to the sensei/sempai after they demonstrate a technique on you, bow to the sensei when demonstrating a technique......

The list goes on for a while. And includes weapon etiqutte at the higher levels....

PS: Just noticed.... I'm the same grade on Martial talk as I am in my current style of Jujitsu..... how cool!

OP
G

GouRonin

Nothing I say is spam! My words are to be written down on stone tablets like the gospel they are foolish one!
:eek:

OP
G

GouRonin

Originally posted by Aegis
Blah blah blah...I wasn't listening really..

I love Aegis' avatar. It looks like me in the morning.
:rofl:

OP
I

Idaten

I think the main problem with modern martial arts is this "laid back" attitude. Etiquette is so very important. One cannot truly appreciate the art without it. Not bowing to sensei/sempai is unthinkable. As is not bowing when entering or exiting the dojo, not training in a traditional Gi, etc.

OP
S

Skarbromantis

bow as you enter the dojo

bowed on by the senior grade present

bow after training with a partner

bow to the sensei/sempai

The list goes on for a while

I train PM we have none of that, thank god, all that bowing, make your head spin :D

Here's how it happens in my school:

"Hay Sifu how are you?"

Senior student- Hay Skard, lets touch hands (no belt ranks) no bowing.

After Sifu show's a move, "Thank You Sifu"

Walk in and out as you like, no bow

Class is between 1-4, show up when you like, leave when you like.

OP
S

Skarbromantis

Originally posted by Idaten

I think the main problem with modern martial arts is this "laid back" attitude. Etiquette is so very important. One cannot truly appreciate the art without it. Not bowing to sensei/sempai is unthinkable. As is not bowing when entering or exiting the dojo, not training in a traditional Gi, etc.

Maybe for Karate, but with CMA, its very diffrent, we dont have to wear any uniform, will that make my Kung Fu any better? I do agree on bowing when meeting others outside of the club, like at a seminar, or school meet, or if I meet a fellow MA on the street or in passing then I bow, but in class never.

Not that is a bad thing, just diffrent by style.

Skard1

OP
M

muayThaiPerson

at my gym, we are forced to by gunpoint!! jk

no, at out gym, we all bow together when the class starts and ends

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We are taught some etiquette in intro classes. It's mainly the "norm". Bow in and out, to the instructors, fellow students, saying yes/no sir'ma'am, no cursing, no chewing gum, wear a clean proper uniform when training, ect ect ect. It's prolly the same in most dojangs (that I know of).

OP
D

DWright

I started in a very traditional karate school. Bow in bow out, bow to rank, address the instructor as sensei etc.

In my school we do bow in and out, and bow to each training partner, but the rest of class is fairly informal. I am requiring my students to use a much more traditional respect at seminars that we attend as a group, or ones that we are hosting.

I have been a guest at a taekwondo school, and felt very lucky to have the traditional training. They follow the same rigid formalities that I started with. The only etiquette that I was not familiar with was to turn away from the flag and senior ranks when straightening the uniform.

OP
H

H@pkid0ist

The whole bowing and attitude thing is part of the whole character building aspect of our training. We try and impliment everything on day one but are not strick about it for a while. Respect is earned but sometimes how is learned. Character building is as big a part of the training as anything else.

OP
M

Mickey

THank you everyone.

I went to a class on Sunday and the Senior Students knew the respect and said 'Sir', yet all the newbies, not even in uniform were yeah/ nahw and huh? No yes/no sirs and very little bowing only when they all lined up at the end.

I was jsut curious

Mick

Latest Discussions