K

Kirk

Dang....wouldn't mind having that.
But not at that price.

OP
W

warriorsage

KenpoGirl,

He isn't saying 30 techniques, he's saying 30 forms (and I assume sets as well). The tapes have all the techniques plus a few that I haven't heard of in the EPAK curriculum. He even has short 4 on there. No fancy production value, but a lot of stuff for the price.

OP
R

Rob_Broad

I have seen this set on there several times and if the economy was a little better i would have purchased the set. it appears to be a quite extensive compilation of material.

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by Rob_Broad

I have seen this set on there several times and if the economy was a little better i would have purchased the set. it appears to be a quite extensive compilation of material.

If my personal finances were a little better I'd bid on it.
Unfortunately I have to buy a new garage door! :mad:

OP
K

KenpoGirl

Originally posted by warriorsage

KenpoGirl,

He isn't saying 30 techniques, he's saying 30 forms (and I assume sets as well). The tapes have all the techniques plus a few that I haven't heard of in the EPAK curriculum. He even has short 4 on there. No fancy production value, but a lot of stuff for the price.

:cool: Thanks for clarifying, I kinda figured it out myself after going back and reading the information a little closer.

It actually looks like a pretty good deal (funds permitting). All that info for under $100 US. The Larry Tatum series is how much? $400 US? I wish I had the funds too. :shrug:

OP
B

brentb

Hey Dot

I've actually got this complete series, all 12 tapes worth. They are by Brint Berry, of the EKKS, Eastern Kenpo Karate Society??

They are basically just home video footage transferred to VHS, and not great production qualities. The material isn't too bad, but he's no Larry Tatum. He also does some of the techniques and forms differently than I have learned them, but that seems a pretty common thing in American Kenpo, different instructors having a different "spin" on things.

I bid on a set of these on ebay, but kept getting outbid. I eventually just emailed Brint Berry directly, and he sold me a set directly. I paid significantly more than $100 US, but he threw in a 1990 Nunchaku seminar that Mr Parker taught, as well as a 1982 seminar, footage of Mr Parker and Joe Palanzo doing Form 7, and the vintage footage of Mr. Parker and Chuck Sullivan from 1959 doing the original techniques, as well as a written manual that details the techniques he teaches in his system. Since Mr. Parker is no longer with us, a chance to see him in action, and listen to his seminars made the whole package well worth the money.

take care
Brent

OP
K

KenpoGirl

Thanks for the info. :asian: I did place a bid but as you said, was quickly outbid. With the information you've just given I'll let it go.

Sounds like you've go some great bonous videos there. I once saw some home videos that Ed Parker Jr. showed "after hours" they were kewl but without sound. And at the time I was brand new to Kenpo and couldn't really comprehend the historic value of them. Wish I could go back and see them now. I'd probably not take my eyes off the screen. I have the two instructional videos Mr. Parker made, but they don't teach much in the was of who he was. But they are a valued part of my small collection.

I, like many others, really wish I had, had the opportunity to meet the man himself.

Dot

B.T. W. Brent, speaking of tapes .......... {subtle reminder}
;)

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
For collection purposes any tapes within reason are nice to have.. but you really need to concentrate on what your instructor lays out for you and follow that closely.... especially if it is a quality curriculum...... many today can come up with thousands of variables on the techniques and forms and all have merit to some degree.

Follow and develop a strong Base first then look to expansions.

:asian:

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd love to see the tapes of Mr. Parker doing the nunchaku seminar and Form 7, something to treasure indeed. :cool:

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
it's pretty boring..... very basic.
But then again if you never have seen Ed Parker ... any tape would be wonderful!

I keep forgetting it's been 11 years.... I still feel he's here with me all the time. (weird huh)!

OP
T

tunetigress

Goldendragon, is there the chance that MY instructor will haunt ME for the rest of MY life too??? LMAO! OH boy! :asian:

OP
T

tunetigress

Well I just went and posted a bid on that stuff on E-Bay. Just for fun. I'm bored with Power Rangers videos! LOL Dot, I'll share if I get it, but only with Canadians! Can't have this kind of sensitive material taking too many border crossings now, can we? :lol:

OP
K

KenpoGirl

Good luck with your bid.

Since we Kenpo Canadians don't have Seniors close by to learn from, we learn where we can. Even if that's not the way some people think it should be done. :shrug:

Our area is pretty lucky we have seniors invited up fairly regularily so that we can learn from them. We've had Huk Planas, Dennis Conatser, Doreen Cogliandro, Frank Trejo, (I didn't train with Mr. Trejo locally, but he's been in town) Along with the likes of Martin Wheeler, Ingmar Johanson (sweden), Tim Hartman for arnis, all here to share their knowledge with us.

Good luck on your training too, I hope we'll get the chance to chat soon.

Dot :asian:

OP
R

Rob_Broad

Originally posted by Goldendragon7

I'm gonna have to set up a Navel Blockade!:mad:

:D

Ewwwwwwww, blocking people with belly button lint is scary.

OP
T

tunetigress

Oh c'mon GD, do you really think you have a hope against me and Dot? :rofl:

Latest Discussions