Electronic scoring-- that is the question

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is electronic scoring going to be the answer for the Olympic movement or is it the end of the sport as we know it? I mean is this going to make the errors go away enough to equal the playing field on bad calls? If so how will this impact the process of picking the best athlete with coaches picking instead of match play? I am real worried about this becoming the end of the sport and not the beginning like alot of folks believe. Waiting for your comments.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is electronic scoring going to be the answer for the Olympic movement or is it the end of the sport as we know it? I mean is this going to make the errors go away enough to equal the playing field on bad calls? If so how will this impact the process of picking the best athlete with coaches picking instead of match play? I am real worried about this becoming the end of the sport and not the beginning like alot of folks believe. Waiting for your comments.
I can tell you that it will take away the back kicking also, as back points will go away as there are no sensors in the back at this time.

Also guarding and moving off will be the way to fight. So what the competitor do will change but the top fighters will adjust to this rather easy.

Should not make to much of a difference. But we still have a ways to go. You know they have been testing these electronic hogus for over 10 years now. We still have a few more to go.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Let's assume that the electronic scoring will take away the biased judging at the very least. That seems like enough of a reason for adoption even if the kinks aren't fully worked out yet. Professional tennis had a slightly rocky beginning when the Hawkeye system was introduced on the tour at first, but 4-5 years later it is in use at all the Grand Slam tournaments and Masters Series tournaments around the world with little doubt as to its accuracy.

troubleenuf

Blue Belt
Reaction score
That might be but you talk to fencing people and they say the electronic scoring ruined their sport...

Let's assume that the electronic scoring will take away the biased judging at the very least. That seems like enough of a reason for adoption even if the kinks aren't fully worked out yet. Professional tennis had a slightly rocky beginning when the Hawkeye system was introduced on the tour at first, but 4-5 years later it is in use at all the Grand Slam tournaments and Masters Series tournaments around the world with little doubt as to its accuracy.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That might be but you talk to fencing people and they say the electronic scoring ruined their sport...

That's interesting. How so?

Electronic scoring is perfect for tennis. There's a known zone that is considered "in" or "out" and it does not change based on player movement.

goingd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with it and I like the idea of players not being scored for eight points after throwing a bunch of kicks, not knowing which ones landed or which ones just hit the arms (unless it hits them so hard the sensors feel it!). I like the idea of bringing power back into play.

Though, sometimes I worry how reliant we are on technology. Scoring can be done, believe it or not, without electricity of any kind.

... ^~^

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think it is a good idea and inevitable. But still in the early developemental stage so still too many flaws. But just as technology continues to advance, so will electronic scoring. get used to it. it isnt going away.

troubleenuf

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I dont do fencing myself,,, a class comes in at the college after our classes so we have the opportunity to discuss the similarities and differences between our sports. All I know is he said it ruined the sport by letting sloppy techniques score.

That's interesting. How so?

Electronic scoring is perfect for tennis. There's a known zone that is considered "in" or "out" and it does not change based on player movement.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I dont do fencing myself,,, a class comes in at the college after our classes so we have the opportunity to discuss the similarities and differences between our sports. All I know is he said it ruined the sport by letting sloppy techniques score.

Gotcha. I'm not sure that's a deterrent for using an electronic system in TKD. I've seen plenty of ticky-tack touches with no real force behind the kicks being awarded points in Olympic competition.

ACJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think they are a very good step in the right direction. It promotes more powerful kicking and picking clean shots. Which in turn promotes going at the attack more. It also reduced the need for ring craft, such as standing in the right position for the judges to see your score, and places the emphasis on the sport between the 2 competitors.

The only concern is their reliability. When I tested them my partner could not score on them and I was standing still and he was kicking solid, but I could score without kicking nearly as hard. But this was a couple of years ago.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am not into competition TKD and I'am not a competitor either so don't know if my answer is good or not. I think that with the elctronic hogu we can divide TKD in two categories; a) Olimpic game (not MA) where the athlete wins a contest (not a fight) scoring points that are awarded by a machine (electronic hogu) and b) Martial Art, where the person learns the art of self defense trough poomsae,self defense techs and kyorugi but in the MA sense.

If we can do the split beetwen a) and b) would be fantastic. I've been thinking about olimpic TKD and I feel the competitor does not need to lear TKD as a MA, the competitor would put allhis/her efforts in learn how to make points (to win a macht) and few kicks are need it, like the roundhouse kick, the ax kick and the back kick, so why learan all the TKD techs if he/she would never use them?.

I would love to see dojangs of only MA and dojangs of Olimpic type so the people can discriminate wich one wants to train.

Manny

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score

All sports activities are determined by their rulesets. Tournament fencing was changed by electronic scoring, because you just have to "get there first," that said, what was being trained as fencing was already changing because no one was using it as training for a potential duel, the sport became the focus.

Similarly, as an outsider I don't care if electronic scoring changes Olympic TKD, it already doesn't look like a "real fight" another change toward further unreality really doesn't bother me.

troubleenuf

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The used the Lajust system in Canada last month. I noticed that a snap type kick would score whereas a killer power kick would often times not. Also of course there is the issue with no sensors in the flank, a legal target area but one that wont score with an approved system?!!!

I think they are a very good step in the right direction. It promotes more powerful kicking and picking clean shots. Which in turn promotes going at the attack more. It also reduced the need for ring craft, such as standing in the right position for the judges to see your score, and places the emphasis on the sport between the 2 competitors.

The only concern is their reliability. When I tested them my partner could not score on them and I was standing still and he was kicking solid, but I could score without kicking nearly as hard. But this was a couple of years ago.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
We should do a split beetwen GAME and MARTIAL ART, I would rather go to a Martial Art Tae Kwon Do lessons than the Game or Sporty lessons.

Manny

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
We should do a split beetwen GAME and MARTIAL ART, I would rather go to a Martial Art Tae Kwon Do lessons than the Game or Sporty lessons.

Manny
Yes Manny, this is an ideology applied in many dojangs. Ours is one of them. We have traditional classes that anyone is permitted to come to. Then there are our competition courses where you can pick between poomsae and Olympic style sport TKD.

The good thing is that the traditional classes are set as to still allow the competition team to still participate.

I like this to as I do not compete anymore but I do coach and help train the competition team. But I still participate in the traditional classes as well.

goingd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I've seen too much inaccurate scoring. For example in one world tournament Stephen Lopez was awarded a point for kicking his opponent in the butt. If I'm not mistaken I think the match would have tied if that did not happen.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes Manny, this is an ideology applied in many dojangs. Ours is one of them. We have traditional classes that anyone is permitted to come to. Then there are our competition courses where you can pick between poomsae and Olympic style sport TKD.

The good thing is that the traditional classes are set as to still allow the competition team to still participate.

I like this to as I do not compete anymore but I do coach and help train the competition team. But I still participate in the traditional classes as well.

You are blessed my friend.

Manny

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I've seen too much inaccurate scoring. For example in one world tournament Stephen Lopez was awarded a point for kicking his opponent in the butt. If I'm not mistaken I think the match would have tied if that did not happen.
I saw that fight. He did hit him in the butt. Nia would have gone to Bejing instead of Diana if they had used electronic scoring. I did see some matches that should have gone the other way in vegas this year. They need to put sensors on the back.