COPENHAGEN aftermath...

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So I posted a thread about the TKD championships a while back. I made a few comments on what I saw. I have been out of town and just came back yesterday. Reading Mookas, (not the best news.... but news, sometimes biased)..... and they pretty much said what i had said. Its nice to know that I am not completely loosing my mind and my touch with reality. So many are quick to argue for spite and have have a perception so far in left field, that i sometimes think I am the one living on another planet. Any way.... heres what they said.....

mookas said:
19th World Taekwondo Championship in Denmark, Copenhagen. 142 nations with 928 competitors representing their nation. This was the first major championship where electronic hogu was used for scoring. There were two different opinions on the outcome of the electronic hogu's performance. Many people have said "it showed promised" and others have said "these things need to improve." We now analyze what went on during this year's world championship in order to have a better outcome for the 2011 world championship.
dot.gif

dot.gif
Referees
dot.gif

During Steve Lopez's matches where he won his 5th world title, it seemed referees helped Steven Lopez's cause to make the history books. Referees did not enforce the WTF rule on what is prohibited and not prohibited during the match. During all of his matches, Steven Lopez lifted his leg forward to either check the opponent or defend opponent's kicks. Coach Sae Hyuk Kim of Samsung said while watching Steven Lopez's fight, "by lifting his leg up to provoke injury to his opponent is not legal. Referees should have gave him a warning every time." And added "and with international referees favoring well known fighters helped Steven Lopez to his victories."

They also had a hard time recognizing when the fighter steps both feet outside of 8m x 8m ring. Many times, you can hear either the coaches or spectators pointing out the fact that fighter뭩 feet are outside the ring and yelling out "Kyung Go!"

dot.gif

dot.gif
Video Review
dot.gif

On the third day of the competition (16th), behind Korean national team member, Hyo Sup Yum's gold medal was a 'headshot 3 point' error. They said after reviewing the video replay, the call stands but there was still a feeling of dissatisfaction. The point here is, the quality of the video cameras used were not up to date. Main camera man who was recording the matches said "with the camcorder we are using to tape the matches, it's hard to capture fast kicks accurately. We have no choice to rely on these cameras with our athletes' future and outcome of the matches." The angle of where the cameras were set up was also an issue. They should have been set up on each side of the ring but two cameras were on same side of the ring. During on of the semi-finals, they even used only one camera instead of two.
dot.gif

dot.gif
Electronic Hogu
dot.gif

"Athletes all have the same system", "adjusting is also a skill." These are some of the comments made by commentators watching the matches in regards to LaJust system. However, that doesn't mean the system was 100% satisfactory.

Main issue of the system is the 'moisture' affecting the electronic hogu. As the athletes were training and preparing for the world championship using LaJust system, they have found a method to score easily. The answer to that is 'water'. Athletes started to wet their sensor socks with water in order to register points against the opponents.

The original thread i posted was....

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81119

OP
d1jinx

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
For those of you who compete on this stage or have students who do, it is good to know these things. Like wetting your foot booties and the rules. Something to watch out for.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ha ha ha ha...Well like the late great Master Bruce Lee said himself. "Water my friend, be like water".

That's just classic. Well I stated that I hated the E-hogus as they seemed to slow down the matches. There is a ton of issue with them and they are not ready for prime time.

However there are some E-hogus being used in Korea from a Korean maker that are better than LaJust. I will get the name of them. They are a new player in the E-hogu game but use a better technology and seem to work much better than the LaJust, Addida and Deado system.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So do you tell your fighters to wet down their socks just to make the playing field "even" or do you play it straight?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Remember it will be a few years before they can get close to perfection, they are just starting to understand what needs to be done.

OP
d1jinx

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So do you tell your fighters to wet down their socks just to make the playing field "even" or do you play it straight?

you make your players aware that water is cheating and if the other players feet are wet and points are going up that are crap to bring it to your... the coach... attention.

its called integrity. some of us have it....

OP
d1jinx

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Remember it will be a few years before they can get close to perfection, they are just starting to understand what needs to be done.

I think it is a great concept. and like all new technology, it needs some refinement. but we need to push for it and not accept its current state.

can you imagine if we had settled for the "back-pack" cell phones?