elderly selfdefense course

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have just been informed that I will be instructing a self defense class for ladies next week. Now I have never seen this group but have been told the ages vary and that some may be using walkers. So my question is have any of you ever taught a class of elderly ladies or men that use walkers and what would you suggest for techniques?
I know I will begin with a short talk on situational awareness and letting them know it is sometimes better to relinquish their belonging rather than to risk injury. After that I plan on going over some simple wrist releases but from their I am at a loss as to what to do.
I realize that much may depend on exactly who shows up and what their physical abilities.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Walkers make weapons? ;-)

I have not taught any self defense, but +1 on situational awareness. Perhaps reminding them to get a good look at their assailant. It is almost always best to give up belongings over being assaulted. And although the first comment was sort of tongue in cheek, walkers and heavy purses do make good defensive and offensive weapons when there are no opportunitues to retreat safely. Screaming loud helps too.

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I would add in the use of cellphones as great defensive weapons (calling for help!) This may be more overlooked from that generation. Also maybe a quick lesson on types of violence, with a focus on the types of encounters that are most likely for them (to borrow from Rory Miller; they're unlikely to be victims of monkey dance behavior, but are certainly vulnerable to resource predators, for instance). How does that affect their responses? For obvious reasons, I see this being much more a mental class than a physical one.

How do you recognize when a situation is going bad? How do you make yourself less attractive as a victim to a potential predator. Can/should you attempt to de-escalate? If so, what strategies might work?

Do any of them legally carry weapons? What kind, and have they trained deploying them? If they have a gun, when was the last time they went to the range?

Physical techniques I would keep very simple (and train them carefully, obviously). Would strongly recommend against any type of kicking, as losing their balance is likely a much bigger issue with much higher consequences at that age. Elbows on the other hand could be quite effective.

Using the walker (or canes!) as defensive weapons could definitely be stressed; if so, you'll want to get hold of one and play with it beforehand to see what's possible.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have just been informed that I will be instructing a self defense class for ladies next week. Now I have never seen this group but have been told the ages vary and that some may be using walkers. So my question is have any of you ever taught a class of elderly ladies or men that use walkers and what would you suggest for techniques?
I know I will begin with a short talk on situational awareness and letting them know it is sometimes better to relinquish their belonging rather than to risk injury. After that I plan on going over some simple wrist releases but from their I am at a loss as to what to do.
I realize that much may depend on exactly who shows up and what their physical abilities.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Wow this is a difficult one to work within the kinds of parameters you are implying.

I think this must utilise what older people have more of. Life experience! As you say, explain awareness of environment from a defence point of view. Do this for different situations: the dubious house caller, the suspicious character in the street etc. and ways to expediently END those situations before they start. Likewise explain awareness of the methods of approach that an aggressor might employ and how to best AVOID them or DETER them before they have a chance to capitalise.

I remember one lady that I used to visit always used to "check with her big son" before she let anyone into the house. She did not have a big son at all and but she was clever and she knew how to employ her experience and a little deceit!! :)

I do not imagine techniques are going to be as important as relaying clearly your experience on how to best avert an unpleasant or potentially dangerous situation, or the most expedient manner to conclude it. There is advice that is contrary to what most of us believe, that going to ground (or even feigning illness) is a suitable deceit that can end an initiated physical attack.

Would you be teaching them physical technique at all? I think that depends on capability of the audience?

Also, I think you do not wish to frighten an older audience, yet still the threat is potentially real (even if statistically unlikely) and so it is better to be frightened and prepared than blissfully ignorant.

Sorry, I think this is not coherent and but I want to wish you well with it my friend. I think this is a good and necessary class to take. I hope you will post back on how it goes.

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Also, I think you do not wish to frighten an older audience, yet still the threat is potentially real (even if statistically unlikely) and so it is better to be frightened and prepared than blissfully ignorant.

I think the above statement entirely depends on the type of assault/encounter we're talking about. The elderly are unlikely to be targeted by someone seeking to prove how tough they are (unless the attacker is going for unpredictable/dangerous, in which case they could be since it deliberately crosses the lines of what's acceptable), but they're much likelier to be picked as an easy victim for someone looking for cash to fund their drug habit, for instance... specifically because the elderly are less likely to be capable of defending themselves physically and they often carry cash.

Same thing could likely be said for a home invasion; the elderly and infirm make an attractive target. Knowing this is important; knowing how to make themselves a harder target is, IMHO, vital. For the latter circumstance, looking into home security systems, having a dog, or having (trained) weapons in the house may all be good options for different people. Not letting strangers in the house would be another big one (for example, handymen cold calling around the neighborhood looking for more work... not always what they claim).

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do some research, and look at what they're actually most at risk of.

Off the top of my head -- I don't see them victimized in stranger assaults and robberies nearly as often as they are victims of various forms of family abuse or home repair scams. You might want to hit those issues... And many are ashamed to report when they are victims of some sort of scam.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Teach 'em to hobble away as fast as possible, sprinkling senior citizens discount coupons and prescription pills behind them. The coupons will cause assailants to slip and fall, and the pills will make them stop to pick them up and eat them. Teach 'em to rapidly disconnect and hurl colostomy bags. Perhaps false teeth could be used as some kind of weapon.

decepticon

Green Belt
Reaction score
Another thing to consider mentioning is that they should practice their defenses every few months. As I have seen with my grandparents and parents, after a certain age, physical and mental capabilities change rather rapidly. They may not be able to do that which they could 6 months or a year ago, and therefore should not be depending upon that particular skill. If during practice they find that they are no longer able to execute a move, then they need to work to find something to replace it or find a new strategy to fill that gap. Perhaps the old trick of filling a money clip with $10 or $15 ones and tossing it in the direction you want the attacker to go to allow you a bit of time to escape.

If you have the opportunity to encourage tai chi classes, that could do a world of good for them. The National Arthritis Foundation teaches a version that does not focus on self defense but does do wonders for balance and range of motion, which in turn could be valuable self defense skills. http://www.arthritis.org/media/chapters/mic/New%20Site%20Sample%20Forms/Starter%20Kit%20-%20AFEA%20Site%20Sample.pdf

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Teach 'em to hobble away as fast as possible, sprinkling senior citizens discount coupons and prescription pills behind them. The coupons will cause assailants to slip and fall, and the pills will make them stop to pick them up and eat them. Teach 'em to rapidly disconnect and hurl colostomy bags. Perhaps false teeth could be used as some kind of weapon.
I am surprised at you saying these things. That is callous humour, do you not think? Is it not a positive thing that Sheldon is employing his martial art knowledge to help keep an older generation safe? I do not know, maybe my SOH has dissolved today. I apologise.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
People Underestimate Older People.

Teach them... To Grab someones...
Grab the Right Wrist with the Left Hand.
Chamber Right Hand at Left Shoulder.
Right Hand Backfist Strike accross Temple.

Since the Power is generated mostly in the Collarbones (Well, Hips as well. But if they have Bad Hips, its unnecessary. How Old are we talkin?) it should work for a Start, at least.

Thats My Suggestion.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would probably just teach them palm strikes , edge of the hand and forearm strikes , elbow strikes.
I also would teach them how to kick from the ground at an attackers shins or knee cap just in case they are pushed over and end up on the deck.

aedrasteia

Purple Belt
Reaction score

??? Bill WTH

A

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you can prior to teaching them - put yourself in their shoes. Bind your joints so that they are stiff or immobile. Get a pair of plastic safety glasses and cloud them up by scratching them with chemical or wire abrasives. Put small rocks in your shoes or tacks thru the soles. Than move around a bit to see what they face. Have someone do some simple attacks and you defend from their shoes but with your knowledge.

As you said awareness is always a good thing to teach anyone.

FEAR

As people get older they end up self-isolating themselves. Fear of falling, fear of strangers, fear fear fear... All people have fear but as we age the fear can compound. So teaching them how to deal with fear if you have that knowledge is always beneficial and not just for self defense. Catch them holding their breaths when doing simple movements and remind them to breathe. Inhale thru the nose and exhale thru the mouth. Working any techniques you are teaching them very slowly and the minute the feel any fear to start breathing and calming themselves

MOBILITY

As people age the start to lose their mobility, medication can effect balance, falls can be fatal, and many other understandable reasons contribute to this. That loss becomes a vicious circle, the more mobility they lose the more they limit their own movement causing them to lose more mobility...The lack of mobility causes fear, the fear causes lack of mobility...another circle. Lack of activity causes joints to stiffen which then hinders mobility which causes lack of activity yet another circle
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/09/110927073153.htm
Doing simple stretches, small figure eights with the ankles, knees, hips, ribs, shoulders and neck can prove beneficial. Flexing fingers and toes doesn’t just feel good but is healthy. Doing permutation work (something we do a lot of with in Systema training) for example inhale and tighten all the muscles starting at the feet and ending up at the top of the head, exhales and releasing the tension from the head to the toes, (caution those on high blood pressure medications) You can have them tighten to 50% rather than 100% to lesson the effect on blood pressure but still gain the body awareness and muscle activity. As well as up and down the body you can go right to left or left to right.

CONTACT

People that do not have prior martial arts training will have a fear of contact, and for the elderly it is multiplied. People have germs and germs can kill, strangers want to take advantage etc. As humans, we need contact with other humans. Long ago I read a report on an orphanage in Korea. They had hundreds of orphaned babies. The babies were dying off at a very high alarming rate. They had them lined up in rooms where they could be cared for but the few caretakers did not have much time. By changing the procedures and having each baby spend some time being held, rocked and massaged they dramatically lowered the mortality rates. The touching saved their lives. As people age, this human to human contact can be severely limited.

As people begin martial training the overuse of muscles, the straining of joints, the various bumps and bruises can leave a person sore or aggravate old injuries. This can cause the person to stop training.

A method to get people used to healthy contact, that can get people in touch with being an empathetic human, can reduce the pain of working out is ‘handy’. Of course I am taking about massage. For example if doing wrist grabs first have the partners take each others hands and slowly move them about while rubbing the joint area. Have them do the same after working the grabs. At the beginning of class have the students massage each other as part of the warm up and at the end of class as part of the cool down. There should not be pain, this is not a releasing type of massage but a get them moving while staying relaxed and getting them used to contact without fear type of work. The face and scalp should also be massaged.

SUMMERY

The elderly may have excess fear, limited mobility and achey joints, lack of and fear of contact. All of these can start to be addressed in the martial arts class. the training must be fun and must NOT cause further injury to the students. At advanced age a bad fall often leads to sever health complications. With medications breathing patterns, blood pressure, blood PH levels can all be out of sync and martial training can help address these health issues.

Good luck with your class and let us know how it went

Regards
Brian King

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score

Now that was funny Bill, but you forgot to put an emoticon to show you were just trying to be light hearted as opposed to disrespectful. Which you never are.
tongue.gif

tshadowchaser - considering the suggestions for kicking and striking, you might want to remind any to whom you suggest that, to be sure they aren't receiving treatment for osteoporosis, or don't otherwise have concerns about the hardness of their bones.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am surprised at you saying these things. That is callous humour, do you not think? Is it not a positive thing that Sheldon is employing his martial art knowledge to help keep an older generation safe? I do not know, maybe my SOH has dissolved today. I apologise.

Being on the far tip of 'middle age', I guess I thought it was funny. As oftheherd1 mentioned, I forgot the smiley emoticon.

OP
tshadowchaser

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
being of the same age as some I'll be teaching I thought Bill's first post was funny.
Yes folks Im past retirement age

OP
tshadowchaser

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I want to thank all who have made suggestions. There where more than a few ideas that I had not thought of.
I'll post again here after the first session with these folks and let you all know how it went and what I encountered
sorry for any spelling mistakes, not useing spell check today

BTW: I actualy have a walker, a wheel chair and many canes in the barn I train in . Some from my mother and others I have picked up over the years. The only ones I use are the canes and I love to walk with them (no I do not need them yet)

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Jeeze Bill. WTF..