Effects of The Killing Of Bin Laden

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's because Quakers don't show up in mirrors or on TV.
:D

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Me, I understand this little thing called 'math' and 'probability' and I got a better chance of having my wife surprise me on my birthday with a pair of hookers, than I do being involved in an Islamic Terrorist Action.

Well, enjoy your birthday! ;)

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bob Hubbard
Me, I understand this little thing called 'math' and 'probability' and I got a better chance of having my wife surprise me on my birthday with a pair of hookers, than I do being involved in an Islamic Terrorist Action.

which one is more likely on a PLANE.....

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Did the pilot say "I'm tired of these [expletive] sheiks on this [expletive] plane!"?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bob Hubbard

which one is more likely on a PLANE.....
Depends on if the flight attendant is moonlighting that evening.

But, lets use math.

Odds of Dying in Terrorist Attack on Airline: 1 in 25 million
Struck by Lightning: 1 in 500,000

There are approximately 50 murders PER DAY in the US.
About 120 traffic fatalities PER DAY.

Overall, academic and governmental databases report, terrorist attacks killed a total of about 5,300 people in the most highly developed nations since the end of the Cold War in 1991, a rate of about 300 per year. The chance of a Westerner being killed by a terrorist is exceedingly low: about a one in three million each year, or the same chance an American will be killed by a tornado. (The Department of Homeland Security's budget is 50 times larger than that of the weather service).
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703481004574646963713065116.html

So, tell me.
How worried should I be again?

Tell me, who should I trust to recognize a threat?
The security at the airport who has access to the latest security briefings, alerts and intel, who has at their means a number of checks at different levels, including pat downs, xrays, and other scanners
or
The bus driver who until just recently was also required to go through the same screening as his passengers?

You call me a 'Luddite', a definition that doesn't fit I'm afraid. I'm not on the Security Council, but I do know a thing or 2 about security, tactics and such. Sticking 2 guys on a plane that stick out like a sore thumb is stupid if the goal is them to harm you. Works great as a distraction from the real attack. So, maybe this was a real concern. Maybe this pilot should be applauded for his concern and attention to security.

Not crucified for being a panicked, frightened bigot, by whose actions he gave our enemy a victory over us.

When the -trained- law enforcement arrived, did they find anything to be wrong?
Were these 2 men doing anything OTHER than wearing clothing that bothered the pilot?
Anything other than following the "wrong" faith?
Were any flight manuals found?
Box cutters?
Secret Death Star Plans?
Bootleg copy of Star Wars?
1 oz too much toothpaste?
a pointy toothpick?

Nope. Sent on their way with the real cops shaking their heads.

Pilots an idiot, should be fired, airline should be fined for supporting him.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I look at it this way.
I see a guy in Arab garb sitting at the table by me, I don't worry.
I see someone carrying a satchel with wires sticking out of it, by the base of a bridge, I call 911 regardless on if he's dressed like Ben Hurr or Donald Trump.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
in all probabiliity, the threat that you see isnt the one you should be worried about, i agree, but your harsh condemnation of the pilot i cannot support.

I think he was right, better safe than sorry, and the thing is, it isnt biggoted to be worried about muslims since the last time i checked the MUSLIMS WERE THE ONES FLYING PLANES INTO BUILDINGS

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
More Asians have crashed planes into targets than Arabs.
Just saying.

Would you feel the same way if he'd refused to fly because a couple of ethnic dressed blacks were on board?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
maybe.
Hey, what color are the Somalli pirates again?
Seriously, give me a body count and I'll find you a group to panic about.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I look at it this way.
I see a guy in Arab garb sitting at the table by me, I don't worry.
I see someone carrying a satchel with wires sticking out of it, by the base of a bridge, I call 911 regardless on if he's dressed like Ben Hurr or Donald Trump.
Is it the toga or the hairpiece that upsets you most?
icon7.gif

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Probably the hair piece.
And Trump sitting with Shatner would have ne reaching for a pianted dustbuster prop in a heartbeat.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Probably the hair piece.
And Trump sitting with Shatner would have ne reaching for a pianted dustbuster prop in a heartbeat.

I think two such titanic douchebags in close proximity would generate enough suckage to create a new black hole, right in the middle of New York. Best not risk it. I will admit to still liking Shatner though. :)

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
How much do you wanna bet somebody is going to try and make a comedy about that?

I am sure Southpark it cutting out construction paper as we speak...and SNL is putting the final spin on it...

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
I remember seeing pictures of the terrorist boarding those planes on 9/11. Not one was dressed in Middle Eastern of Muslim garb. They all were dressed in bussiness casual. So I guess we should be wary of anyone dressed in business casual. Hmm, the shoe bomber was white, so maybe we should focus on whites? The simple truth is if we focus upon how a person dresses or his ethnicity we will miss what is important for security, behaviour. So we can feed the hatred and the view of different equates to dangerous, or we can actually be serious about security.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Terrorist Attacks in the U.S.

Sources: http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0001454.html
Wikipedia.

Sept. 16, New York City:
TNT bomb planted in unattended horse-drawn wagon exploded on Wall Street opposite House of Morgan, killing 35 people and injuring hundreds more. Bolshevist or anarchist terrorists believed responsible, but crime never solved.

Jan. 24, New York City:
bomb set off in historic Fraunces Tavern killed 4 and injured more than 50 people. Puerto Rican nationalist group (FALN) claimed responsibility, and police tied 13 other bombings to the group.

Feb. 26, New York City:
bomb exploded in basement garage of World Trade Center, killing 6 and injuring at least 1,040 others. In 1995, militant Islamist Sheik Omar Abdel Rahman and 9 others were convicted of conspiracy charges, and in 1998, Ramzi Yousef, believed to have been the mastermind, was convicted of the bombing. Al-Qaeda involvement is suspected.

April 19, 1993 - Waco Texas (FBI Siege) leaves the FBI with 4 dead, 16 wounded, and the Branch Davidian's with 80 dead, 3+ wounded.

April 19, Oklahoma City:
car bomb exploded outside federal office building, collapsing wall and floors. 168 people were killed, including 19 children and 1 person who died in rescue effort. Over 220 buildings sustained damage. Timothy McVeigh and Terry Nichols later convicted in the antigovernment plot to avenge the Branch Davidian standoff in Waco, Tex., exactly 2 years earlier. (See Miscellaneous Disasters.)

Sept. 11, New York City, Arlington, Va., and Shanksville, Pa.: hijackers crashed 2 commercial jets into twin towers of World Trade Center; 2 more hijacked jets were crashed into the Pentagon and a field in rural Pa. Total dead and missing numbered 2,9921: 2,749 in New York City, 184 at the Pentagon, 40 in Pa., and 19 hijackers. Islamic al-Qaeda terrorist group blamed. (See September 11, 2001: Timeline of Terrorism.)

June 1, Little Rock, Arkansas:
Abdulhakim Muhammed, a Muslim convert from Memphis, Tennessee, is charged with shooting two soldiers outside a military recruiting center. One is killed and the other is wounded. In a January 2010 letter to the judge hearing his case, Muhammed asked to change his plea from not guilty to guilty, claimed ties to al-Qaeda, and called the shooting a jihadi attack "to fight those who wage war on Islam and Muslims."

November 5, Fort Hood : a mass shooting that took place on November 5, 2009, at Fort Hood, the most populous U.S. military installation in the world, located just outside Killeen, Texas.[1] In the course of the shooting, a single gunman killed 13 people and wounded 29 others. The sole suspect is Nidal Malik Hasan, a U.S. Army major serving as a psychiatrist.

Dec. 25:
A Nigerian man on a flight from Amsterdam to Detroit attempted to ignite an explosive device hidden in his underwear. The explosive device that failed to detonate was a mixture of powder and liquid that did not alert security personnel in the airport. The alleged bomber, Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, told officials later that he was directed by the terrorist group Al Qaeda. The suspect was already on the government's watch list when he attempted the bombing; his father, a respected Nigerian banker, had told the U.S. government that he was worried about his son's increased extremism.

May 1, New York City: a car bomb is discovered in Times Square, New York City after smoke is seen coming from a vehicle. The bomb was ignited, but failed to detonate and was disarmed before it could cause any harm. Times Square was evacuated as a safety precaution. Faisal Shahzad pleads guilty to placing the bomb as well as 10 terrorism and weapons charges.

May 10, Jacksonville, Florida:
a pipe bomb explodes while approximately 60 Muslims are praying in the mosque. The attack causes no injuries.

Oct. 29:
two packages are found on separate cargo planes. Each package contains a bomb consisting of 300 to 400 grams (11-14 oz) of plastic explosives and a detonating mechanism. The bombs are discovered as a result of intelligence received from Saudi Arabia's security chief. The packages, bound from Yemen to the United States, are discovered at en route stop-overs, one in England and one in Dubai in the United Arab Emirates.

Jan. 17, Spokane, Washington:
a pipe bomb is discovered along the route of the Martin Luther King, Jr. memorial march. The bomb, a "viable device" set up to spray marchers with shrapnel and to cause multiple casualties, is defused without any injuries.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
so..since 93, aside from ONE big one (Ok city) and some abortion clinics, almost every single terrorist attack has been from a muslim.

but we shouldnt worry about them.....right?

Latest Discussions