Passenger tries to open door midflight: Terrorist?

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
A flight to chicago was disrupted when a male passenger got up out of his seat, ran to the door of the jet and tried to open it. He was subdued by a passenger, a former special forces soldier and martial artist, who works in private security.

****What was the passengers name? The news story on ABC news did not report the mans name, however, the passenger who subdued the man had the guys picture on his cell phone. What is the guys name? Officials are saying there is no connection to terrorism, but is this a case of "nothing to see here, just move along" when in fact it was an act of terrorism? What is the guys name?*****

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A flight to chicago was disrupted when a male passenger got up out of his seat, ran to the door of the jet and tried to open it. He was subdued by a passenger, a former special forces soldier and martial artist, who works in private security.

****What was the passengers name? The news story on ABC news did not report the mans name, however, the passenger who subdued the man had the guys picture on his cell phone. What is the guys name? Officials are saying there is no connection to terrorism, but is this a case of "nothing to see here, just move along" when in fact it was an act of terrorism? What is the guys name?*****
You are just dying for a Arabic sounding name; aren't you? LOL
It could be a Twilight Zone, "There is a man on the wing!" Kind of thing... even if his name isn't Dave.:)
Sean

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Did you see the mans photo, the feds didn't think to confiscate the ex special forces guys camera. He had to choke the guy out twice to keep him down. Would it be a surprise after bin laden is killed to have someone try to bring down a plane? Of course the guy didn't do his homework because apparently you can't open the doors when the cabin is pressurized.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
This type of thing has happened in the past and wasn't related to terrorism, but rather an unbalanced mind. Are you saying that if it was some white guy named Joe Smith it naturally was just some disturbed individual, but if his name was Saed Mohamad he was naturally a terrorist?

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think a closer look at the situation would be warrented don't you? Especially after the death of bin laden?

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think a closer look at the situation would be warrented don't you? Especially after the death of bin laden?

No, I really don't think it deserves a second look if you are basing your decision of terrorism on if the person had an Arabic name. This is nothing more than fear mongering.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, could be a terrorist action.

Could also be attention seekers, suicidal idiots, copy cats etc.

I mean, lets see....
about 100 letters have arrives all around the US, carrying white powder (been done)
2 dozen + bomb threats have been called in. So far, no kabooms.
Some schools were closed early for threats.
half dozen planes were diverted, delayed, emptied and searched after notes were found or other suspicious behavior occurred. No bombs, weapons, etc found. A miracle given the lax nature of the TSA.
this week a plane lands after an idiot tried to open the door. people now panic. 2 weeks ago another guy got into it with an attendant, plane lands and he goes away in handcuffs, no one even blinks.
Etc.

There's being alert and aware, and then there's paniced frantic "I gotta pin it on the muslims, it's gotta be them, can't be anyone else, white guys don't do this, no sir, gotta be a towel wearing backward stinky muslim."

Paranoia. Such an entertaining thing to watch.

Course, now that I've made fun of the whole thing, FOX will post a picture of Abdul Bin KaBlewy, and a link to his "Deth too Amerika!" blog I'm sure.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Is there a link to the story please?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like, according to the article, the guy was taken off the plane. It looks like they're still investigating, so I'm sure, within a day or so we'll hear a name. Is it related to the death of Bin Ladin? Dont know. Was the guy in question of Arab decent? No idea. Personally, I dont care if the guy is green, white, or brown, an Arab, or any other nationality. Bottom line, the guy is a nutjob for trying to open the door. Fortunately he was stopped. I expect that we'll see more of these incidents in the future, unfortunately.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One of the best sources for daily information regarding threats to US infrastructure is here:

http://www.dhs.gov/files/programs/editorial_0542.shtm

I realize it's not full of sensationalist BS, but it's a tad more accurate. For those who actually care about accuracy.

Bob is right - if you read this thing daily (I do), you discover that although not reported widely, people have been mailing envelopes with 'mysterious white powder' hither and yon with great abandon lately - I mean LOTS. Most of those arrested so far seem to be named "Joe" or similar - just saying, boys and girls.

Bomb plots and threats are likewise a daily occurrence One that sticks in my mind recently was a guy who called a local high school to threaten them with a real bomb because they ran a drill that simulated an attack by right-wing extremists; life imitates art; a right-wing extremist makes threats to protest a right-wing extremist scenario. Huh. Go figure. But of course, WND won't be covering THAT, will they? No, the guy didn't have an Arabic name.

The guy who just planted a bunch of bombs at a mall in Colorado on the anniversary of Columbine? Not a middle-eastern guy, folks. So sorry if you're disappointed. But again, didn't really make much of a dent in the headlines; it wasn't middle-eastern terrorism, it was domestic terrorism - again.

By the way, it appears that there is a concoction making the rounds lately that is made from common ingredients and a soda bottle; I don't know what it is - and I don't care - but the kids seem to have discovered it. Problem is, it blows up with some real force - people are being injured daily by these 'pipe bombs' blowing up and taking out fingers and breaking bones, not just blowing up mailboxes for the fun of the big boom. I don't think I'd call that terrorism, but it's pranking that is unfortunately way too dangerous; people are getting hurt.

Seriously, read the report. It's worth it. Real news, not make-um-up BS by people who hate Muslims.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Whatever the reason he tried to open the door the man needs to be locked away somewhere for a while.
Get him help for a mental condition if that's what he needs or lock him up for being a home grown terrorist.
Now I do hope the person who subdued him is give free flight a few times for stopping the incident from happening.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Whatever the reason he tried to open the door the man needs to be locked away somewhere for a while.
Get him help for a mental condition if that's what he needs or lock him up for being a home grown terrorist.
Now I do hope the person who subdued him is give free flight a few times for stopping the incident from happening.

To the best of my knowledge, doors cannot be opened inflight. This was changed after the DB Cooper incident back in the 1970's. So he could not have actually done it. Not that it's a great idea to let him try.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A man from Yemen also caused problems on a flight, he banged on the door of the cockpit and also had to be subdued.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There was the attack a few years ago on the Jewish center, no relation to terrorism, the guy happened to be Muslim, but, no connection.
There was the Army Major who killed a few at Fort Hood, but, no connection to Islamic terrorism, none whatsoever.
Denying terrorism is terrorism, doesn't make us safer.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There was the attack a few years ago on the Jewish center, no relation to terrorism, the guy happened to be Muslim, but, no connection.
There was the Army Major who killed a few at Fort Hood, but, no connection to Islamic terrorism, none whatsoever.
Denying terrorism is terrorism, doesn't make us safer.

And scanning the headlines hoping to find an Arabic-sounding name so that one can go "AHA!" doesn't make us safer either.

And of course, the big lie that is always told - if you don't agree that all these attacks are done by Muslims, you must not think any of them are.

It's not black-and-white, despite inference and mindset. We are under attack by Islamists. They're also a very very small minority, and we're also attacked by white supremacists, cranky right-wingers, cranky left-wingers, and people who are just plain nuts. Pretending that only the ones by Muslims matter? To me, it indicates an unhealthy obsession at best.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
And scanning the headlines hoping to find an Arabic-sounding name so that one can go "AHA!" doesn't make us safer either.

And of course, the big lie that is always told - if you don't agree that all these attacks are done by Muslims, you must not think any of them are.

It's not black-and-white, despite inference and mindset. We are under attack by Islamists. They're also a very very small minority, and we're also attacked by white supremacists, cranky right-wingers, cranky left-wingers, and people who are just plain nuts. Pretending that only the ones by Muslims matter? To me, it indicates an unhealthy obsession at best.

you left out 'hormonal soccer moms' (and those are about in pretty large numbers...)

There is nothing to fear but fear itself.
See, there is the problem: as horrible as 9/11 was, it was a relative minor thing. A few buildings out of billions, 4 flights out of hundreds or thousands, 3000 people out of nearly 400 million....

But yet, we dug ourselves in, shaking every time a siren blairs. Some Arabic guys sneezes, we catch the swine flu or SARS...

The essence of terror is to put fear into the hearts of the people, make them afraid of their shadows, second guessing their moves or thoughts. Terrorism wins.
TSA is a salute to terrorism.