Planning a trip to Canada or the Caribbean? US Immigration may have other ideas...

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One million British travellers planning to fly to Canada, the Caribbean and Mexico this year face the risk of being turned away at the airport – at the insistence of the US Department of Homeland Security.
New rules require British Airways and other airlines flying to certain airports outside America to submit passengers' personal data to US authorities. The information is checked against a "No Fly" list containing tens of thousands of names. Even if the flight plan steers well clear of US territory, travellers whom the Americans regard as suspicious will be denied boarding.

Now the US is demanding passengers' full names, dates of birth and gender from airlines, at least 72 hour before departure from the UK to Canada. The initial requirement is for flights to Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal and the Nova Scotia capital, Halifax – 150 miles from the nearest US territory. A similar stipulation is expected soon for the main airports in western Canada, Vancouver and Calgary.

Any passenger who refuses to comply will be denied boarding.http://www.independent.co.uk/travel...immigration-may-have-other-ideas-7584912.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/planning-a-trip-to-canada-or-the-caribbean-us-immigration-may-have-other-ideas-7584912.html

So if you were thinking of vacationing in Cuba, better take a boat.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your government isn't very paranoid then?

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shut up and hand over all your personal information. The Canadians all ready rolled over and give it up. Now it's your turn. If you won't the "terrorists will win".
We'll be wanting your CCTV tie ins as well, especially the ones watching that girls school in Leeds.

Actually Tez, I think my government is total paranoid bollucks.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's bizarre. I am rather surprised by the demand, and by the apparent acquiescence.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This has been part of the Smart Border Declaration since 2001. Canada has access to the equivalent information on passengers landing in the US. Advanced Passenger information is shared amongst many countries throughout the world.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
shut up and hand over all your personal information. The Canadians all ready rolled over and give it up. Now it's your turn. If you won't the "terrorists will win".
We'll be wanting your CCTV tie ins as well, especially the ones watching that girls school in Leeds.

Actually Tez, I think my government is total paranoid bollucks.

watching girls in Leeds is a tricky thing at the best of times, they breed them tough there!