Profiling

Rob Broad said:
... I am willing to undergo more extensive searches at the airport, longer waits at the border when going across in my car, and delays when sending and recieving packages from the US. ...

... I would not want to give up any of my Right and Freedoms that are granted to me Under the Canadian Rights and Freedoms Act ...
Rob, when you submit to the activities in the first paragraph, aren't you giving up some of those things you talk about in the second paragraph?

If you don't feel that being subject to 'more extensive searches', et al is not giving up some of your rights and freedoms, what description would you give to those 'more extensive searches'?

Thanks, Mike

It is an option to travel, therefore if you chose to travel you have to expect to be searched. Do I think they should search 80 yr old grandmothers, No. Do I think they should search every person boarding a plane, No. Do I think they should search a large group of people boarding a plane when they come from a country that supports terrorists, yes. If that makes me politically incorrect I can live that.

As for more extensive searches, if they want to search everybag at the airport, fine. I can live with that. If they want to strip search every person at the airport, then they have croosed the line. If they want to search everycar crossing the broder and verify citizenship, I can handle that. I personally have had the car searched before, it is an inconvience but having interned at a border crossing in college I understand the process.

I, for one, would rather they do not search every car crossing the border. I would like to feel confident when I'm trying to smuggle cheap American booze and smokes North of the 49, thank you very much.
icon10.gif

No body likes my solution. Build a huge wall around the U.S. So big nothing can get in or out. Then we can stop worrying about terrorists. That or live in the middle of nowhere. You'll be safe there. So y'all come on down to Milledgevilee Ga. We'll have a fun time. Either that or its the giant wall. eah onw or the other. Choice is yours.

Europe is no picnic either. With the EU as it is; the borders are very open, which allows anybody to go from place to place often with no passport or customs control.
When I was in France over a year ago the security was amazing - the questions, the baggage searches. It was quick, efficient, and thorough.

someguy said:
No body likes my solution. Build a huge wall around the U.S. So big nothing can get in or out. Then we can stop worrying about terrorists. That or live in the middle of nowhere. You'll be safe there. So y'all come on down to Milledgevilee Ga. We'll have a fun time. Either that or its the giant wall. eah onw or the other. Choice is yours.
I accept neither choice. I think other options exist. Working to reduce poverty can help reduce the ability of recruiters into para-military organizations. Working to promote democracy can be beneficial. Respecting other nations and the choices they make can reduce the allure of subversive organizations.

But perfect security is not available. Nor should it exist. Everything in life consists of risks. Certainly, we should work toward reducing risk, but not at the cost of those things that make our country what it is.

Mike

Rob Broad said:
I am Canadian of Irish, Scottish and Brittish descent and very proud of it.

I suspected you weren't Arab, Rob. My point was that some people who advocate profiling (and I'm not suggesting you are) say we should be willing to give up certain rights, freedoms, etc. Yet in suggesting profiling they're westerners advocating the reduction in rights of those who have a middle eastern appearance.

WE'RE not going to be singled out for searches...THEY are. We're not the ones waiting in line for two hours, THEY are.

I think we need to recognize that it is a specific and targeted group whose liberties are being revoked. It isn't "us" giving up our freedoms when we enact such a practice.

On the note of non-Arab Muslim terrorists...they ought to be able to find some blue eyed, light skinned Chechnyans for attacks against us. No doubt some of them are fighting us in Iraq right now. Word had it one of Nick Berg's murderer's spoke Arab with a Russian accent...a Muslim from Georgia? A Kazakh?

Regards,

Steve

As Canadian who cross the border quite regularily, I will say that teh search process is pretty arbitrary at times. I have been waived on with a car load of bags and boxes, and pulled over sitting with my wife.

I have noticed that Canadians have been targeted at the border many times just because of political climate atthe time. I accept this as part of the way of the world, and if it bothered me too much I just wouldn't cross the border.

It is a tenuous situation these days, and there is no absolute right answer.

hardheadjarhead said:
On the note of non-Arab Muslim terrorists...they ought to be able to find some blue eyed, light skinned Chechnyans for attacks against us. No doubt some of them are fighting us in Iraq right now. Word had it one of Nick Berg's murderer's spoke Arab with a Russian accent...a Muslim from Georgia? A Kazakh?

Regards,

Steve
Steve, you have a special way of freaking me out. Man. oh, man. I hadn't thought about THAT.

Dan

flatlander said:
Steve, you have a special way of freaking me out. Man. oh, man. I hadn't thought about THAT.

Dan

Ah, yes...and had the medium provided for my deep stare, the low modulation of the voice, the stentorian tones...you and all the others would have wet your pants in terror. Christoper Lee has NOTHING on me.

It is, indeed, something to consider. Not all Muslims are swarthy. But then, not all Muslims are radical terrorists, either.

Regards,

Steve

Oh btw my entire last post was joking.
Oh I got an even better solution. Lets nuke the world. It will end all problems. End famine ,war, plauge won't be conqured probably but Death will finally die for humans atleast. Yeah end human suffering all together. It will end it all doncha see.
Ok on a more serious note I must ask how likely a terrorist will go to Canada then to the US. How hard is it to go to Canada. Like how hard is it to get a Visa for some one in the country of___ to get one and go travel to Canada. If it is just as hard to get to Canada as it is the US then te Canada US boreder is no problem. If it is easier. Well then there might be a problem. :p But nothing that a little advise from south park or John Candy couldn't solve. Canada here we come.(don't mention wa of 1812 or battle of Quebec in 1775ish anybody please.)
hardheadjarhead said:
Word had it one of Nick Berg's murderer's spoke Arab with a Russian accent...a Muslim from Georgia?
Steve
Muslim from Georgia uh oh I'm for profiling now wait other Georgia never mind.

Well, speaking for Texas, Blacks/Hispanics are still profiled by the DPS (Dept of Public Safety) otherwise known as The State Troopers, and the fact is that they've not been very acurate with the numbers. They said it went down, but people in Texas and our media know better. That's Texas for ya. :idunno:

Fact is, I'm still waitin' for my turn after 34 years of driving. Guess I'm too boring or don't look like your usual doper, alien smuggler. :idunno: :lol:

Latest Discussions

Back