Easy to Carry, Easy to Use Self Defense Weapons

TieXiongJi

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am an electrical engineer, martial artist of the Chinese disciplines, and a self defense hobbyist. I have been puzzling over how the women in my life could fight back if I came at them hard and haven't seen much chance for them to resist me if I use maximum force. I came up with an idea for a easy to wear glove with integrated self defense tools.

Would anyone know of easy to carry, easy to use Self Defense Weapons? I would like to see what is available that you would recommend to someone without any weapons training.

Thanks everyone!

O'Malley

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hm, pepper spray?

In Belgium, any kind of weapon is prohibited, even the "self defense/tactical" stuff like pepper spray. Of course, you can easily get it from other countries/black market, and if a girl gets caught with a small canister in her bag the police pretend they didn't see it.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's literally nothing I would recommend without training. Pepper spray can be mis-used (getting yourself). Tasers must be protected, or they may be used against you. Etc.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This sounds like something that could very easily put you at odds with law enforcement, simply for carrying it. Issues like, premeditated intent, I think it basically means that you are packing some kind of a weapon and are looking for an excuse to use it.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Back in the 1980s, I would see this advertisement in the martial arts magazines, for a little self defense tool. It was basically a double spike that you would attach to the top of your shoe, it rested on the tongue of the shoe and would poke out between your shoelaces so if you kick someone with the top of your foot, you will rip him up with the spike.

If you took to wearing something like that on a regular basis, and you ever kicked someone with it, I think law enforcement would not look kindly on you for it.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I had no problem to wear this into a police department. Nobody can call it a "weapon". But first, you will need to train how to use it.

belt.jpg

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When I hiked in the woods, I like to carry this spear head in my day pack. I can put it on my hiking stick to make it into a spear. It's not used to deal with human being but mountain lion or bear.

spear_head.jpg

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't have fat belly and I like to tight my belt on my waist. It sits nicely above my hip bone. You can use it as a whip, or just wrap around your hand and make it a big iron fist. :)
What does it weight? Fat belly or not, it just seems like it would drag your pants down.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I had no problem to wear this into a police department. Nobody can call it a "weapon". But first, you will need to train how to use it.

belt.jpg

No problem wearing in into an ordinary Police Department. But the Fashion Police are horrified. :)

OP
TieXiongJi

TieXiongJi

Green Belt
Reaction score
This sounds like something that could very easily put you at odds with law enforcement, simply for carrying it. Issues like, premeditated intent, I think it basically means that you are packing some kind of a weapon and are looking for an excuse to use it.
Wow. I didn't even think about that. I wouldn't build in Assassin's Creed Wrist Knives. Just looking for current products that anyone has seen or used. You could easily argue the same problem for concealed carry. "You bring a gun with you everywhere and are itching to use it."

OP
TieXiongJi

TieXiongJi

Green Belt
Reaction score

belt.jpg
Use it like a whip? Sounds like a bit of training and strength required. Plus it takes time to remove and wield properly.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

belt.jpg

I beg to differ. A weapon is in the eyes of the law enforcement officer first, a court second. Much depends upon observed intent. Whilst wearing it as a belt might well pass muster in many places, including a police station, that is no guarantee that it will always be viewed this way.

And to be clear, since you won't be offering to pay the attorney fees of anyone who depends upon your absolute statement that "nobody can call it a weapon" and finds it to be incorrect, you might want to consider restating that.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow. I didn't even think about that. I wouldn't build in Assassin's Creed Wrist Knives. Just looking for current products that anyone has seen or used. You could easily argue the same problem for concealed carry. "You bring a gun with you everywhere and are itching to use it."

I will reframe the question, see if it makes better sense:

Q: I want to create a weapon that can be carried everywhere and it is not illegal and it is effective against all types of attack.
A: No such thing.

or

A: A weapon is ... a weapon. If you have a weapon that is not a gun or a knife but is still not your empty hands, it's still...a weapon. And guess what, that's how the police view it too in many locations.

or

A: The only weapon that will (usually) stop an all-out physical attack by a trained martial artist is a gun. Learn how to use one, get a license to carry it, and then carry it everywhere.

I appreciate your efforts; quite noble. However, although you don't know it, every couple months, someone wanders by here and announces their new amazing self-defense weapon that is not a weapon (somehow?) and doesn't require any training (interesting) and will stop any attack (amazing).

My personal opinion is that a) such amazing devices don't exist, and are not likely to; b) a weapon is weapon even if you say it's not a weapon; and c) if a person is all that serious about stopping ANY kind of physical attack, they need a gun and they need to know how and when to use it.

Sorry. What you seek is a form of magic and it doesn't exist. Again, just my opinion. I sincerely appreciate your desire to create such a thing.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, you said something about a glove with built in weapons. Things that are improvised, but clearly intended as a weapon, kinda get noticed in a bad way. It makes a statement about the kind of nefarious activities you might be up to with bad intent.

Carrying a gun has certain licensing requirements in order to be compliant with the law. Local jurisdictions look differently on various things like pepper spray, and may or may not be ok for someone to carry. Other things are pretty much illegal everywhere, like brass knuckles, saps, blackjacks, gloves with pockets of lead shot in the knuckles, and spring-loaded folding knives (switchblades). If you improvise a glove that resembles some of these things, you may have created a problem for yourself.

OP
TieXiongJi

TieXiongJi

Green Belt
Reaction score
I will reframe the question, see if it makes better sense:

Q: I want to create a weapon that can be carried everywhere and it is not illegal and it is effective against all types of attack.
A: No such thing.

or

A: A weapon is ... a weapon. If you have a weapon that is not a gun or a knife but is still not your empty hands, it's still...a weapon. And guess what, that's how the police view it too in many locations.

or

A: The only weapon that will (usually) stop an all-out physical attack by a trained martial artist is a gun. Learn how to use one, get a license to carry it, and then carry it everywhere.

I appreciate your efforts; quite noble. However, although you don't know it, every couple months, someone wanders by here and announces their new amazing self-defense weapon that is not a weapon (somehow?) and doesn't require any training (interesting) and will stop any attack (amazing).

My personal opinion is that a) such amazing devices don't exist, and are not likely to; b) a weapon is weapon even if you say it's not a weapon; and c) if a person is all that serious about stopping ANY kind of physical attack, they need a gun and they need to know how and when to use it.

Sorry. What you seek is a form of magic and it doesn't exist. Again, just my opinion. I sincerely appreciate your desire to create such a thing.

So I have to disagree with your question.

I really just want to see what you guys all recommend for a woman in your life. Would you all just tell her to get a gun and now walk around with an incredibly dangerous weapon? I live in a very safe area and have never ever felt that I need a weapon to protect myself. The women in my life mostly live in similar areas.

As all of us know, investing 1000's of hours into martial arts and self defense techniques is more of a hobby than a necessity. Most women could defend themselves by observing the surroundings or the situation and simply extricate themselves before any problem arises. This kind of awareness could come with a few Women's Self Defense courses. The whole physically resisting a stronger opponent without any weapon is only possible with a good understanding of self defense techniques.

I will restate my question since it isn't landing.

Which self defense equipment would you recommend to a vulnerable person in your life?

O'Malley

Black Belt
Reaction score
Maybe self defense classes, for the reasons you mentioned.

If there's a need for "instant feeling of safety" I'd go for pepper spray. We managed to get some for a few of my female friends. But again I don't live in the US so that solution might not be appropriate.

Latest Discussions