What's a weapon and is it legal to carry?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That's what the term means, but I doubt you'd find that "SD people" have a common reaction to much else. In fact, most "SD people" I know do talk about the concept of defending others. Self-defense, as a concept, is not exclusive of defending others.
We should share more story about "defend others". This way the world will be a much more pleasant place to live and we will not lose hope upon human being.

Is this the main purpose of our MA training? To promote the spirit of "侠(Xia) - defend good against evil"?

Last edited:
OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We should share more story about "defend others". This way the world will be a much more pleasant place to live and we will not lose hope upon human being.

Is this the main purpose of our MA training? To promote the spirit of "侠(Xia) - defend good against evil"?

Not for me. I follow the way, or 'do'. The technique, or 'jutsu' is just the vehicle.

I live for others, but that is not the purpose of my training.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think that's the spirit of what my training has always been. It's not talked about much, but then most of my training hasn't really talked about who was being attacked, it just dealt with the concept of facing an "attacker".

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What if a "gang member" said that next time you and him meet, he will kill you? Which one is more important, to protect your life, or to worry about the legal issue (assume you live in a country that firearm is not allowed)?
I'd say that your life is not in imminent jeopardy.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

D

Deleted member 39746

Let me just grab the gov.uk page on knife carry.

Selling, buying and carrying knives

As far as i know English law everything needs to be reasonable force. And that of course is decided by the courts so you have to articulate your reasoning and justification for it.

And there is a terminology difference between weapons (deadly weapons) and objects pressed into service as weapons (dangerous weapons), not entirely sure where to find that for English law though. I could just be conflating some U.S terminology i saw.

As far as i know there is no issue in using a object to defend yourself so long as you can justify the force as long as you dont carry one strictly for self defence anyway. For example if you picked up a brick on a wall and used it, or used your walking stick.

But then the point somone made was, weigh up the legal punishment with the loss of life/limb and decide for yourself if you wish to follow it or not. If your going to get a slap on the wrist then maybe you should just disregard carrying law. Or if you are going to get life in prison, you are damned if you do damned if you dont.

Oh and if we are posting memes: (language warning)

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Let me just grab the gov.uk page on knife carry.

Selling, buying and carrying knives

As far as i know English law everything needs to be reasonable force. And that of course is decided by the courts so you have to articulate your reasoning and justification for it.

And there is a terminology difference between weapons (deadly weapons) and objects pressed into service as weapons (dangerous weapons), not entirely sure where to find that for English law though. I could just be conflating some U.S terminology i saw.

As far as i know there is no issue in using a object to defend yourself so long as you can justify the force as long as you dont carry one strictly for self defence anyway. For example if you picked up a brick on a wall and used it, or used your walking stick.

But then the point somone made was, weigh up the legal punishment with the loss of life/limb and decide for yourself if you wish to follow it or not. If your going to get a slap on the wrist then maybe you should just disregard carrying law. Or if you are going to get life in prison, you are damned if you do damned if you dont.

Oh and if we are posting memes: (language warning)

well maybe sort of, your not allowed to carry weapon, that's something designed or you intend to use as a weapon.

your not allowed to carry a sheath knife, a lock knife with iut lawful excuse and never a flick knife. all other knives have to have a blade no longer than three inches, and can't be carried with the intent of being a weapon.
instant s arming is allowed, that were you use something that isn't a weapon and wasnt intended as a weapon that comes to hand either in your pocket or laying arounds

force does have to be reasonable, but only reasonable to the threat you perceive, not to the actual threat.

all that said using a weapon will get you in a world of bother, best not to unless your life really does hand in the balance.

in your own house you can any any weapon apart from a gun, and possibly a flick knife

I'm sure I told you all this last time

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well maybe sort of, your not allowed to carry weapon, that's something designed or you intend to use as a weapon.

your not allowed to carry a sheath knife, a lock knife with iut lawful excuse and never a flick knife. all other knives have to have a blade no longer than three inches, and can't be carried with the intent of being a weapon.
instant s arming is allowed, that were you use something that isn't a weapon and wasnt intended as a weapon that comes to hand either in your pocket or laying arounds

force does have to be reasonable, but only reasonable to the threat you perceive, not to the actual threat.

all that said using a weapon will get you in a world of bother, best not to unless your life really does hand in the balance.

in your own house you can any any weapon apart from a gun, and possibly a flick knife

I'm sure I told you all this last time
What constitutes a "flick knife"? That's not a term I've heard before.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
switch blade, I think you would call it, a knife that unfurls its self under a spring or gravity, or any thing that can be opened with one hand

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
switch blade, I think you would call it, a knife that unfurls its self under a spring or gravity, or any thing that can be opened with one hand
Ah, that incorporates much more than "switch blade" does. A switch blade, in some places, is defined as a blade that opens (usually with force) under spring power with no assist from the user. Some places would include any spring-assisted opening (I think most wouldn't) and the ones that open with gravity. Common usage of the term (as opposed to legal usage) almost universally seems to refer to the ones that open via spring power when you push a button.

The others that fall under "flick knife" (those with a thumb notch or stud to open it one-handed) I've not seen referenced in any legal definition in the US, though surely they're referenced in some locations.

D

Deleted member 39746

I belive they have redefined it legally recently. I have yet to update myself with most of that stuff anyway. (doesnt overlty effect carry to my knowledge though)

I thought it was a automatic knife only? Like its one you press a button or some other device to open it. (may be part of the change in definition though not discounting that)

Because i think gravity is cited as a separate thing. eg, automatics AND butterfly knifes are banned in two separate entries. And a few diffrent names for them are listed to avert some confusion.

Latest Discussions