Easy to Carry, Easy to Use Self Defense Weapons

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pepper spray is easily made at home. I told my friend how to make it and he now keeps a stay bottle of it in his car! You need to err on the side of caution - I think there are laws in various US states prohibiting the owning of certain weapons, and here in the UK there are various laws about carrying weapons, and pepper spray is illegal to own, carry or make.
How do you make the delivery system?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pepper spray is easily made at home. I told my friend how to make it and he now keeps a stay bottle of it in his car! You need to err on the side of caution - I think there are laws in various US states prohibiting the owning of certain weapons, and here in the UK there are various laws about carrying weapons, and pepper spray is illegal to own, carry or make.

This is not a good thing to post up on a public forum by the way. Yes, it is illegal to carry here, this will be treated as a firearm, comes under the Firearms act 1968 ((b)any weapon of whatever description designed or adapted for the discharge of any noxious liquid, gas or other thing; ) and if caught with it certainly faces a custodial sentence, the length of which will depend on what the charge is.. (most likely sections 16 and 19)
The provisions are—

(a)section 16 (possession of firearm with intent to injure);

(b)section 16A (possession of firearm with intent to cause fear of violence);

(c)section 17 (use of firearm to resist arrest);

(d)section 18 (carrying firearm with criminal intent);

(e)section 19 (carrying a firearm in a public place);

(f)section 20(1)(trespassing in a building with firearm).]

(2)The court shall impose an appropriate custodial sentence (or order for detention) for a term of at least the required minimum term (with or without a fine) unless the court is of the opinion that there are exceptional circumstances relating to the offence or to the offender which justify its not doing so.

Having it sat in the car means he will be unable to use it when outside his car, so the police may well decide he was carrying it not for self defence purposes but for something else.
I would tell him to get it out of his car and dispose of it responsibly asap.

Mujician

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
How do you make the delivery system?

He didn't make it, he poured it into a small spray bottle, the type you might have for spraying house plants.

This is not a good thing to post up on a public forum by the way. Yes, it is illegal to carry here, this will be treated as a firearm, comes under the Firearms act 1968 ((b)any weapon of whatever description designed or adapted for the discharge of any noxious liquid, gas or other thing; ) and if caught with it certainly faces a custodial sentence, the length of which will depend on what the charge is.. (most likely sections 16 and 19)
The provisions are—

(a)section 16 (possession of firearm with intent to injure);

(b)section 16A (possession of firearm with intent to cause fear of violence);

(c)section 17 (use of firearm to resist arrest);

(d)section 18 (carrying firearm with criminal intent);

(e)section 19 (carrying a firearm in a public place);

(f)section 20(1)(trespassing in a building with firearm).]

(2)The court shall impose an appropriate custodial sentence (or order for detention) for a term of at least the required minimum term (with or without a fine) unless the court is of the opinion that there are exceptional circumstances relating to the offence or to the offender which justify its not doing so.

Having it sat in the car means he will be unable to use it when outside his car, so the police may well decide he was carrying it not for self defence purposes but for something else.
I would tell him to get it out of his car and dispose of it responsibly asap.

I didn't think it was a good idea either, will do.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He didn't make it, he poured it into a small spray bottle, the type you might have for spraying house plants.

Yikes. So, he's going to try to squirt from a squirt bottle at a range of a couple of steps, hoping to get the attacker. If he uses "stream", he'll probably miss. If he uses "spray", he'll mist himself with it, too. And I can't count the number of times I picked up a squirt bottle and had to spray a few times before anything came out.

An ineffective weapon, as well as an illegal one.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was thinking, while only fully effective at night the following may be an option for GTFO...
How to Use a Strobing Flashlight

I linked this article for the first section regarding the effects of strobing especially in low-light conditions. So the section regarding the law enforcement specific issues which involve engaging a Target or making the custodial arrest aren't strictly relevant to a self-defense situation where in my opinion your primary goal is to escape

jacksmall

White Belt
Reaction score
agree with others here. legal carry and training is modern self defense. along with that, oc spray and perhaps a small flashlight as a kubotan? all this stuff requires training. training is key. running and staying in shape are good too.

wingerjim

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am an electrical engineer, martial artist of the Chinese disciplines, and a self defense hobbyist. I have been puzzling over how the women in my life could fight back if I came at them hard and haven't seen much chance for them to resist me if I use maximum force. I came up with an idea for a easy to wear glove with integrated self defense tools.

Would anyone know of easy to carry, easy to use Self Defense Weapons? I would like to see what is available that you would recommend to someone without any weapons training.

Thanks everyone!
I too work in an environment like you work and I carry one of these. They actually write well, they are TSA approved, and have a good grip. Nothing that would kill, but enough to help escape most situation unless a firearm is needed and at least in my workplace I cannot carry one though I have my CCW in this state.
Benchmade.jpg

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I too work in an environment like you work and I carry one of these. They actually write well, they are TSA approved, and have a good grip. Nothing that would kill, but enough to help escape most situation unless a firearm is needed and at least in my workplace I cannot carry one though I have my CCW in this state.
View attachment 20399

By the way it is really obvious when someone has a tactical pen. I saw a security guard with one and had a little chuckle. She thought she was being all sorts of sneaky with the thing.

She also carried it in her breast pocket. Which I was never a fan of due to how easily someone else could grab it.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By the way it is really obvious when someone has a tactical pen. I saw a security guard with one and had a little chuckle. She thought she was being all sorts of sneaky with the thing.

She also carried it in her breast pocket. Which I was never a fan of due to how easily someone else could grab it.
I prefer to carry a non-tactical metal pen. It's probably not as strong, but it's less obvious. I have been known to carry it in the breast pocket, but I think someone grabbing it is more of a risk for security and LEO (and bouncers), where they may have to restrain someone. For the "average Joe", it's unlikely someone will be mad enough to attack, but collected enough to go for the pen. Of course, for most LEO, there are much more obvious weapons, so their pen is probably less likely to become a target.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I prefer to carry a non-tactical metal pen. It's probably not as strong, but it's less obvious. I have been known to carry it in the breast pocket, but I think someone grabbing it is more of a risk for security and LEO (and bouncers), where they may have to restrain someone. For the "average Joe", it's unlikely someone will be mad enough to attack, but collected enough to go for the pen. Of course, for most LEO, there are much more obvious weapons, so their pen is probably less likely to become a target.

My view on that is if you are carrying a pen with he intention of using it in a fight. Assume you are going to get in a fight. And plan accordingly.

And for me it is pants pocket like a knife.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I prefer to carry a non-tactical metal pen.
You guys are too serious about "legal issue". When I was a homeless, I carried a butterfly knife 24/7. Life and death was the only thing that I had to worry about. The legal issue was the least thing that I had in mind.

butterfly_knife.jpg

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys are too serious about "legal issue". When I was a homeless, I carried a butterfly knife 24/7. Life and death was the only thing that I had to worry about. The legal issue was the least thing that I had in mind.

butterfly_knife.jpg
The chances of me needing the weapon are lower than the chances of it getting me into trouble if it isn't legal. The more likely you are to need the weapon to save your life, the less the legalities matter.

And I fly a lot, so I have to worry about the legalities. I've had things taken from me that weren't strictly on the TSA list, because they were close enough an agent decided they couldn't fly.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
And I fly a lot, so I have to worry about the legalities. I've had things taken from me that weren't strictly on the TSA list, because they were close enough an agent decided they couldn't fly.
Before 9/11, my student borrowed this from me and carried it on the airplane. He told the airline people that it's used for "spear fishing".

sc_hook.jpg

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Before 9/11, my student borrowed this from me and carried it on the airplane. He told the airline people that it's used for "spear fishing".

sc_hook.jpg
Before 9/11, I carried a folding knife on every flight I ever went on. I carried a kubotan on most of them, too.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As a cop, other than a side arm and a knife, I never carried anything I was''t required to. Still don't. No mace/spray, tasers, baton, pr24s etc. Hands free and the less handles for them to grab, the better, IMO. (And I really hate carrying spray/mace)
Bumped heads with the bosses from time to time, but it all worked out.

wingerjim

Green Belt
Reaction score

butterfly_knife.jpg
I can certainly understand if a person is homeless vs. having a home where the mindset would be different when choosing a means to defend oneself, but the original question was from an individual with a job and housing, so I believe the thinking is different. If I were to disregard the law, I may also end up homeless if I lost my job carrying a weapon, which is against my company's policies. In addition I do carry a pocket knife along with my tactical pen as these are last resort weapons if I am confronted with violence. Since these "gravity" knives are illegal in many places, both in my state and including in airports, I prefer to have something that is an aid, but not illegal as I would never get it past security in the first place. On the streets and outside of the home I carry a handgun, so again this is not a practical weapon other than a fun knife to practice with, but for me only in the home.

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Keys, and a pen. Put a car key between two of your fingers and punch with that, you could punch anywear and really hurt someone. Pen is the same, hold it in your hammer fist and just stab like crazy. I've used the pen before and believe me, it stopped the attack. Best part is, keys and a pen are allowed everywhere.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keys, and a pen. Put a car key between two of your fingers and punch with that, you could punch anywear and really hurt someone. Pen is the same, hold it in your hammer fist and just stab like crazy. I've used the pen before and believe me, it stopped the attack. Best part is, keys and a pen are allowed everywhere.
I don't like the keys between the fingers. I think there's at least as much chance of damaging your hand as there is of doing any damage to them. With a large key, I might grip it like a small blade, pinching between thumb and forefinger, and use it that way, but not sticking out between fingers.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I carry a mini Maglite flashlight with my keys attached to it. It goes through security at an airport with no hassle, whereas a kubaton might be taken away. It does everything that a kubaton will do with the benefit of providing light in dark places. And if the light is directed into the bad guy's eyes, that's a great advantage to have on my side!