Weapons training for the purpose of self defense

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
If 5 guys attack my wife, I want to make sure that I can knock 1 guy down by just one strike. I still have another 4 guys to deal with.

I can think of better places to hit them. My partner would have already shot them before they got that close. Either that or probably cut their heads off if within range.

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
are you talking UK law?
Yes, but a long, long time ago. I guess it's changed. Just something I got caught up in walking out into an alley. Nothing I actually instigated. The other guys (losers) admitted they attacked me.

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, but a long, long time ago. I guess it's changed. Just something I got caught up in walking out into an alley. Nothing I actually instigated. The other guys (losers) admitted they attacked me.
the law been the same for decades, there is an old adage of never take legal advice from the police. They are right in respect that what ever the object is the moment you draw it to defend yourself it becomes a weapon, but the law allows the concept of instant arming, that being if you are under attack you are allowed a weapon, provided that what ever it is wasn't being carried as a,weapon in the first place. This is a bit more convincing if its a common everyday object that just happened to be in your pocket

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
if i had time to pop into a hard ware shop when being attacked, I'm pretty sure i would come out with something better than a mop
So would I, but in a convenience store the best you would find would usually be a broom or a mop.

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
That depends. Not in some places where guns aren't that common.
Well I guess thats why many of us differ on the idea of what is good self defence.

My main reason is in teaching MA in Japan I know for sure it's not the reason they do it.

I had prowler last night. Checked with my local government watchman that patrols at night. He told me "Shoot em".

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've considered picking up one of the more sturdy umbrellas, for this reason. I have a golf umbrella I sometimes carry when walking around town, if there is a reasonable chance of a storm. It would be a passable weapon, and the sturdier ones would be even better.

Golf umbrellas, I believe those are made with sturdier shafts than regular umbrellas and they've got a spike protruding out the handle for sticking it in the ground when you need both hands to take a shot with the golf club. They would make good weapons.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Golf umbrellas, I believe those are made with sturdier shafts than regular umbrellas and they've got a spike protruding out the handle for sticking it in the ground when you need both hands to take a shot with the golf club. They would make good weapons.

I believe that would be a very good way to get attacked and murdered by the greenkeeper.

The 'spike' doesn't stick out of the handle, you'd poke your eye out when you used it as an umbrella.

This would be better. Unbreakable Umbrella |

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
None of the golf umbrellas I've owned had that spike. That would be...useful.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe that would be a very good way to get attacked and murdered by the greenkeeper.

The 'spike' doesn't stick out of the handle, you'd poke your eye out when you used it as an umbrella.

That's one of the ones I've looked at. It seems like a decent weapon in a pinch, though of course any strikes with the shaft would be padded too much to be of great effect.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's one of the ones I've looked at. It seems like a decent weapon in a pinch, though of course any strikes with the shaft would be padded too much to be of great effect.

We have a $10 Umbrella from a local hardware store that is about as tough and probably heavier. The good old Bunning umbrella.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

40 shades of Grey?

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score

That Unbreakable Umbrella does look like a good umbrella for self defense, definitely something I would look into when researching such umbrellas. As for golf umbrellas I don't know much about them, I just did a web search on them after gpseymour mentioned them. I came up with this.
THE DAVEK GOLF - For the avid sportsman

PeteCress

White Belt
Reaction score
Have a similar walking stick with a metal head as well but have always had to explain it to TSA and some government buildings. The Cane...Never!
I made a cane with a hame ball on top and found functionality to be poor.

To Wit:
  • The ball added a lot of weight
  • The cane looks aggessive/weaponized
  • On a cold day it sucks heat out of the hand
  • It cannot be used to hook/drag something out of reach
  • It concentrates force so the hand gets sore after a mile or so
  • It can't be hung on an arm while you're reaching for something
  • if you lean the cane against something it tends to slide and fall down
Until a few days ago my go-to cane has been a cut-down hickory "Sheep Hook" (about twenty bucks from Tractor Supply: https://tinyurl.com/ycx6nqez)

Then I bought a second one, harvested the handle, and joined said handle to the tip of a broken windsurfer mast.

The result has a definate fugly factor and I might give up on it if people perceive it as too aggressive.

But it's really strong and the 6+ ounces less swing weight makes it much faster to swing and transition between jabbing and swinging.

I plan to keep working out with the heavier cane, but adopt the newer/fuglier one for daily use until such time as I come to think think that the image is too negative.

Time will tell..
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=WDdSdm4wSG90UkNwMG1FMVdSQ2p0NEFRQThPRVJ3

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made a cane with a hame ball on top and found functionality to be poor.

To Wit:
  • The ball added a lot of weight
  • The cane looks aggessive/weaponized
  • On a cold day it sucks heat out of the hand
  • It cannot be used to hook/drag something out of reach
  • It concentrates force so the hand gets sore after a mile or so
  • It can't be hung on an arm while you're reaching for something
  • if you lean the cane against something it tends to slide and fall down
Until a few days ago my go-to cane has been a cut-down hickory "Sheep Hook" (about twenty bucks from Tractor Supply: https://tinyurl.com/ycx6nqez)

Then I bought a second one, harvested the handle, and joined said handle to the tip of a broken windsurfer mast.

The result has a definate fugly factor and I might give up on it if people perceive it as too aggressive.

But it's really strong and the 6+ ounces less swing weight makes it much faster to swing and transition between jabbing and swinging.

I plan to keep working out with the heavier cane, but adopt the newer/fuglier one for daily use until such time as I come to think think that the image is too negative.

Time will tell..
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=WDdSdm4wSG90UkNwMG1FMVdSQ2p0NEFRQThPRVJ3
I don't think it's significantly more aggressive looking. I'd be concerned about the point where they are joined, though. I much prefer a solid piece of wood given a choice.

Latest Discussions