The Disadvantage of Carrying Weapons

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know how to use it. I hit them with it. That way I get an absolute guaranteed result.

No, you don't. If you did, then every person with a club with have a "guaranteed result" which is clearly not true.

If you think you will reliably fire a weapon you have just found. Then good luck with that.

I've handled literally hundreds of different gun models over the last 40 years or so. There's never been a single one that I had to 'puzzle out' how to fire.
They're just not that complicated.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No, you don't. If you did, then every person with a club with have a "guaranteed result" which is clearly not true.

I've handled literally hundreds of different gun models over the last 40 years or so. There's never been a single one that I had to 'puzzle out' how to fire.
Yeah, but what if you never fired one before?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know how to use it. I hit them with it. That way I get an absolute guaranteed result.

If you think you will reliably fire a weapon you have just found. Then good luck with that.
For folks who've fired a lot of different handguns, the likelihood of a new gun being unfamiliar is remote. At the same time, there are some quirks I'd readily recognize if someone handed me the gun, which I'd be unlikely to recognize by feel, alone, after taking one away from someone - especially with the reduced feeling under adrenal load.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Ok. So the bad guy has pointed a gun at you and you yell krav Maga and take it off him.

The bad guy then comes for you to get his gun back.

You shoot. I hit.

Fake gun. Doesnt work for you. Does work for me.

Safety on. Doesnt work for you. Does work for me.

Round not chambered. Dosent work for you. Does work for me.

Gun jams because it is some cheap POS. Doesn't work for you. Does work for me.

Gun is some obsure thing that has some sore of knarley firing system. Doesn work for you. dDoes work for me.

I think I am playing the odds in my favor here.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
For folks who've fired a lot of different handguns, the likelihood of a new gun being unfamiliar is remote. At the same time, there are some quirks I'd readily recognize if someone handed me the gun, which I'd be unlikely to recognize by feel, alone, after taking one away from someone - especially with the reduced feeling under adrenal load.

There was an old murder in melbourne where a guy called chopper reid was having an issue with another guy called Sammy the Turk.

Anyway Sammy has pulled choppers gun out from his pants. A Beretta M1934 and pulled the trigger. Now aparently there is a weird safety to that gun and it didnt fire giving chopper time to pull out a 4,10 shotgun and kill sammy.

Nicely portrayed by Eric banner here.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
You shoot. I hit

Why do I only get to do one? Why can't I try and shoot and if it doesn't then use striking

What happens when it is a a cocked pistol you take away and when you hit.... it goes off and shoots yourself in the face? Again not a big fan of using a gun as a club.

Last edited:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
OK, I'm certainly willing to accept that I may have misinterpreted your one-liner. So perhaps you'd like to expand on the statement and clarify things?
is there something about it you find confusing? I really think it’s a stand alone statement. Weapons for home defense and weapons for carrying around in public are two completely different topics that are often conflated, in my opinion inappropriately.

If you have a question that isn’t loaded, I’m happy to answer it.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
is there something about it you find confusing? I really think it’s a stand alone statement. Weapons for home defense and weapons for carrying around in public are two completely different topics that are often conflated, in my opinion inappropriately.

And I disagree, obviously. The weapons I use for home defense are in fact the exact same weapons I carry around in public. This is true of the vast majority of gun owner, in my own experience.

If you have a question that isn’t loaded, I’m happy to answer it.

Apparently not.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What happens when it is a a cocked pistol you take away and when you hit.... it goes off and shoots yourself in the face?

Let's be honest here... the odds of this happening with any modern firearm are about the same as the odds of the bad guy pointing a gun at you with the safety on and the chamber empty. Silly scenarios are silly, on both sides of the argument.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Let's be honest here... the odds of this happening with any modern firearm are about the same as the odds of the bad guy pointing a gun at you with the safety on and the chamber empty. Silly scenarios are silly, on both sides of the argument.

The odds of this happening are higher than you think....my partner worked the investigation on it....it didn't shoot the guy in the head but it did shoot the guy's car and almost hit his girlfriend sitting in the car.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
And I disagree, obviously. The weapons I use for home defense are in fact the exact same weapons I carry around in public. This is true of the vast majority of gun owner, in my own experience.

Apparently not.
As I said, if you have a question that isn’t loaded (no pun intended), by all means. You’re snarkiness just makes it clear you are just stirring the pot.

I think anyone without a hidden agenda can understand I mean they are different topics, not different weapons. this is a perfect example of why I am skeptical. You’re parsing words to support an agenda.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why do I only get to do one? Why can't I try and shoot and if it doesn't then use striking

What happens when it is a a cocked pistol you take away and when you hit.... it goes off and shoots yourself in the face? Again not a big fan of using a gun as a club.

It will never happen. Just like the gun that will always fire.

Otherwise they are right on top of you. I think you are going to get one go here.

I will whip them with the barrel. Gun goes off all the better.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As I said, if you have a question that isn’t loaded (no pun intended), by all means. You’re snarkiness just makes it clear you are just stirring the pot.

I think anyone without a hidden agenda can understand I mean they are different topics, not different weapons. this is a perfect example of why I am skeptical. You’re parsing words to support an agenda.

Well Steve, I can ask you to expand on what you said and clarify what you mean, but I sure can't make you do so.
There wasn't anything snarky in what I said, but you're free to put whatever spin on it you want.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
It will never happen. Just like the gun that will always fire.

Otherwise they are right on top of you. I think you are going to get one go here.

I will whip them with the barrel. Gun goes off all the better.

Hmm...i dunno with his gun in my hand I don't have any reason to stay within reach. So soon as I have it I'm disengaging physically and creating distance while trying to engage the target with his gun if he is advancing.

If the gun won't fire then I'm going back to fighting.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hmm...i dunno with his gun in my hand I don't have any reason to stay within reach. So soon as I have it I'm disengaging physically and creating distance while trying to engage the target with his gun if he is advancing.

If the gun won't fire then I'm going back to fighting.

What does he want though?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Never mind. I hope whatever’s bothering you tonight clears up, dirty dog.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless you've lived your entire life under a rock, I'm willing to bet you could manage. It's just not that complicated.
I'll have to disagree on this one, DD. A simple safety will often confound new gun users. Grip safeties sometimes cause them problems because they don't hold the gun right. The cocking grip on my Ortgies has kept it from being fired by both new users and the guy who stole it from my dad many years ago. A decocking lever can get tripped in the takeaway (like the safety could), and I've seen new users fail to cock a gun.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Steve, I'm actually curious what you see as differentiating the two. I can see some important differences, but I'd view them as different aspects of the same topic.

Latest Discussions