Easy to Carry, Easy to Use Self Defense Weapons

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So I have to disagree with your question.

Feel free to do so.

I really just want to see what you guys all recommend for a woman in your life. Would you all just tell her to get a gun and now walk around with an incredibly dangerous weapon? I live in a very safe area and have never ever felt that I need a weapon to protect myself. The women in my life mostly live in similar areas.

So you have said two things. One, what would we (men) recommend for a woman in our lives for self-protection, and two, you live in a safe area.

OK, so good for you, glad to hear it. I live in a safe area too. But people have been shot to death mere miles from me, and I'm close enough to Pontiac, Flint, and Detroit that a short car trip could put myself or anyone I know in extreme danger.

What would I recommend? A gun. As I said.

As all of us know, investing 1000's of hours into martial arts and self defense techniques is more of a hobby than a necessity. Most women could defend themselves by observing the surroundings or the situation and simply extricate themselves before any problem arises. This kind of awareness could come with a few Women's Self Defense courses. The whole physically resisting a stronger opponent without any weapon is only possible with a good understanding of self defense techniques.

I do not train in martial arts for self-defense. It's a side-effect. But everyone is different.

And no self-defense techniques that I am aware of stop bullets.

I will restate my question since it isn't landing.

Which self defense equipment would you recommend to a vulnerable person in your life?

A gun. Was I not clear?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I really just want to see what you guys all recommend for a woman in your life. Would you all just tell her to get a gun and now walk around with an incredibly dangerous weapon? I live in a very safe area and have never ever felt that I need a weapon to protect myself. The women in my life mostly live in similar areas.

As all of us know, investing 1000's of hours into martial arts and self defense techniques is more of a hobby than a necessity. Most women could defend themselves by observing the surroundings or the situation and simply extricate themselves before any problem arises. This kind of awareness could come with a few Women's Self Defense courses. The whole physically resisting a stronger opponent without any weapon is only possible with a good understanding of self defense techniques.

Which self defense equipment would you recommend to a vulnerable person in your life?
I repeat what I said before. No tool (especially including a gun) is likely to be useful without proper training and/or practice. The self-protection methods you mentioned earlier (awareness, etc.) are the first line of protection. I could point out my favorite defensive tools, but they'd be nearly useless or worse in untrained hands. Anything I decide to use (carry or environmental) I train for.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Feel free to do so.

So you have said two things. One, what would we (men) recommend for a woman in our lives for self-protection, and two, you live in a safe area.

OK, so good for you, glad to hear it. I live in a safe area too. But people have been shot to death mere miles from me, and I'm close enough to Pontiac, Flint, and Detroit that a short car trip could put myself or anyone I know in extreme danger.

I do not train in martial arts for self-defense. It's a side-effect. But everyone is different.

A gun. Was I not clear?
A gun, and training.

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
If you're in the US, just get a handgun (1911, glock). Hands down the most reliable self-defence weapon. Otherwise, I would choose stream pepper spray as an alternative, if it's legal.

But I need to say the same thing: there are no magic tricks, and anything can go wrong.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're in the US, just get a handgun (1911, glock). Hands down the most reliable self-defence weapon. Otherwise, I would choose stream pepper spray as an alternative, if it's legal.

But I need to say the same thing: there are no magic tricks, and anything can go wrong.
A handgun is only useful if you have it with you, are capable with it, and deploy it before things go awry. Deploying it later is very chancy, and best reserved for those trained at it. As for having it with you, even in some gun-friendly states, that's not so easy. There are many places in North Carolina where guns cannot be taken in (any store that posts a restriction, anyplace where people pay admission, churches, government buildings, most parks, etc.). And if you travel by plane, you can add the airport complications to that. Travel by car? Well, when I looked at it a few years ago, there were states where I'd have to have it locked away in my trunk for it to be legal while I drove through.

Guns are not an easy answer.

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
A handgun is only useful if you have it with you, are capable with it, and deploy it before things go awry. Deploying it later is very chancy, and best reserved for those trained at it. As for having it with you, even in some gun-friendly states, that's not so easy. There are many places in North Carolina where guns cannot be taken in (any store that posts a restriction, anyplace where people pay admission, churches, government buildings, most parks, etc.). And if you travel by plane, you can add the airport complications to that. Travel by car? Well, when I looked at it a few years ago, there were states where I'd have to have it locked away in my trunk for it to be legal while I drove through.

Better than nothing I guess

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Agree! When I checked in my hand gun through Calgary Canada airport from US, I was asked to go through a special door and 3 police officers were waiting for me.

A: Why do you bring hand gun into our country?
B: I am going to hike in the woods for 3 weeks. I heard that your country has a lot of grizzle bears. I have removed the bullets, locked my hand gun in double boxes, examined by US airport agent, and received a red tag permit.
A: We have to keep your hand gun here. You can pick it up on your way back to US.

Since then every time I hiked in Canada, I carried my hiking stick and my spear head instead. I just didn't feel safe.

bear_chase_man.jpg

Last edited:

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Easy to carry/ You mean something that will always be in your hand, or something that will fit in a purse, so you have to dig around to get it? Belt carry is a problem for much of women's clothing, as a belt is rarely worn with a skirt or dress, and open carry of weapons is not generally approved of. Easy to use? With no training? A baseball bat?

OP
TieXiongJi

TieXiongJi

Green Belt
Reaction score
Feel free to do so.

A gun. Was I not clear?

Thank you for the complete answer.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Ok, so is there, or is there not, a vulnerable person? You just said in this same post that you and the women in your life live in safe areas, at least mostly.

Perhaps there is no genuine need? And since there are no easy answers, well maybe it doesn't matter.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
For me first it's gun, then knife. I don't carry tasters or sticks on me as every day items.
I really carry knives for daily things however I do study escrima and we do knife work.
Regardless of what you carry get proper training in using it, tap rack bang.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
OP, first start by looking at your local laws. In my jurisdiction civilians can't carry tasers and stun guns publically, nor slap/blackjacks, brass knuckles etc. It you are talking something that requires little to no training this is what I keep coming back too... Kimber America | Pepperblaster | The most powerful pepper defense system

In most jurisdictions OC is legal. The design of this particular one makes it almost impossible to spray yourself. The amount of pressure behind the propellant greatly minimizes environmental conditions (such as spraying into the wind and catching a mouthful yourself. Really though, atm, there is no self defense panacea for the UN/undertrained.

I didn't say "gun" because a gun requires training, the situations where lethal force are justified are far and few between and again some jurisdictions make it difficult to get a permit to carry etc.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP, first start by looking at your local laws. In my jurisdiction civilians can't carry tasers and stun guns publically, nor slap/blackjacks, brass knuckles etc. It you are talking something that requires little to no training this is what I keep coming back too... Kimber America | Pepperblaster | The most powerful pepper defense system

In most jurisdictions OC is legal. The design of this particular one makes it almost impossible to spray yourself. The amount of pressure behind the propellant greatly minimizes environmental conditions (such as spraying into the wind and catching a mouthful yourself. Really though, atm, there is no self defense panacea for the UN/undertrained.

I didn't say "gun" because a gun requires training, the situations where lethal force are justified are far and few between and again some jurisdictions make it difficult to get a permit to carry etc.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
I like that one. Thanks for sharing!

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spetsdods.

Of course, there's still a trainibg and practice issue.

The question as asked or restated is meaningless. Others have noted, there is no magic talisman that will make someone safe. Not martial arts training, not tools or weapons. Not bodyguards or tanks to roll around in.

So, what can you do? Learn the signs, be aware of precursors and indicators of potential violence. Avoid dumb situations and places. And dont be an *******. In fact, that's probably number 1...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OP
TieXiongJi

TieXiongJi

Green Belt
Reaction score
Guns are easy to acquire, but incredibly dangerous; much higher chance of shooting a loved one than an enemy.
Tasers and Pepper Spray are both easy to acquire and simple enough to teach proper use without risking the user's safety.
SAP Gloves are easy to acquire, but the training is extremely important and the damage is variable.
Knives are easy to acquire, but definitely require extensive training and have restrictions in length and mechanisms.
Basic self protection techniques like assessing the situation, reading the room, avoiding isolating areas. Easy to train and to spot.

Any other suggestions?

Mujician

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Pepper spray is easily made at home. I told my friend how to make it and he now keeps a stay bottle of it in his car! You need to err on the side of caution - I think there are laws in various US states prohibiting the owning of certain weapons, and here in the UK there are various laws about carrying weapons, and pepper spray is illegal to own, carry or make.

Latest Discussions