Easy to Carry, Easy to Use Self Defense Weapons

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Keys, and a pen. Put a car key between two of your fingers and punch with that, you could punch anywear and really hurt someone. Pen is the same, hold it in your hammer fist and just stab like crazy. I've used the pen before and believe me, it stopped the attack. Best part is, keys and a pen are allowed everywhere.
The key thing is a horrible idea. You're going to likely end up hurting yourself, and unless you have the grip very tight, its not going to pierce.

TwentyThree

Green Belt
Reaction score
Non firearm/knife options:

Mini Mag-lite on a clip or D-Ring (for keys, purse, belt, what have you) and a Zebra F-701 Stainless Steel pen. If legal - and trained to do so - pepper spray or mace is good too.

And training.

A glove is a bad idea. It doesn't work well in hot climates or seasons, for one.

Another reason is that women won't generally wear them if they aren't "glove people". I don't wear gloves because it hems in my rings and it feels very uncomfortable. I don't even like it in winter when gloves are a good idea (although I suck it up when I have to, obviously).

Another reason is that you have to have something easy to carry and deploy in all situations. For example, it would look weird for a woman to go out to a fancy dinner with her date and walk around wearing gloves (one or two - are you selling them in pairs?) that aren't as dressy as the rest of her clothing.

I agree, the key thing is bad advice.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
As a cop, other than a side arm and a knife, I never carried anything I was''t required to. Still don't. No mace/spray, tasers, baton, pr24s etc. Hands free and the less handles for them to grab, the better, IMO. (And I really hate carrying spray/mace)
Bumped heads with the bosses from time to time, but it all worked out.

And I have told guys I work with if they are coming to help me leave their pepper spray behind.

I hate that crap. I'd rather the bumps, bruises, and scratches than someone accidentally spraying me.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Cool how it breaks down.

But would rather have it in .223.

What's the price tag on it?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My wife just bought a pepper spray bracelet today. It sounds like a good idea.

pepper_spray_bracelet.jpg

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife just bought a pepper spray bracelet today. It sounds like a good idea.

pepper_spray_bracelet.jpg
The only good thing I really see about those is that you do know which way it's pointing. Pepper spray is generally not a particularly reliable self defense option. It's a useful tool sometimes for cops -- but it's not reliable against a determined attacker, against a drunk or drugged attacker... and it takes several minutes to really take effect if it's going to work. Honestly, in just about every actual use I've been involved in, the violent subject didn't notice it until after he was already in custody and calming down. The few situations it's been effective have been dispersing crowds.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I had no problem to wear this into a police department. Nobody can call it a "weapon". But first, you will need to train how to use it.

belt.jpg
I had a fight with a guy who had a similar belt, tripex with a triumph tank badge as a buckle. He was still trying to get it out of his belt loops whilst he was on the floor being kicked

AIKIKENJITSU

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am an electrical engineer, martial artist of the Chinese disciplines, and a self defense hobbyist. I have been puzzling over how the women in my life could fight back if I came at them hard and haven't seen much chance for them to resist me if I use maximum force. I came up with an idea for a easy to wear glove with integrated self defense tools.

Would anyone know of easy to carry, easy to use Self Defense Weapons? I would like to see what is available that you would recommend to someone without any weapons training.

Thanks everyone!
I have been teaching my version of American Kenpo in Puyallup for fifty years. I'm still strong and fast. I always carry a karambit. I use it closed as an effective hand weapon. Your forefinger through the ring and your other fingers gripping around the closed knife. Now you can strike vital spots with both end of the weapon. I use a karambit because it has a ring to slip your finger through and stabilizes your hand. Also you can strike with both ends. Then if it becomes deadly, you can quickly open up the blade. Yes, you should practice using the open blade for defense. Of course in practice never use a real karambit, but a training karambit.
Sifu
Puyallup

tim po

Green Belt
Reaction score
Keys. got half a dozen or more keys on a keychain? hold them in your fist with the keys protruding between your fingers. keep your hand in your pocket, but loosely. if attacked, rake the keys down across the face and eyes, or thrust them into the throat or inguinal crease. and run.

carrying weapons, as defined as any item which has no practical purpose aside from causing harm (brass knuckles, guns, tactical batons, combat knives) can be considered premeditated action. using an every day item(keys, umbrellas, your belt) as a weapon, is just self-defense.

I agree that no one should carry a weapon if they do not have training. a knife is a practical tool and can be a weapon, but without training, you are more likely to end up on the stinging end. one should never draw a knife for self-defense until they are sure that their own life is in imminent critical danger, and once drawn, do not hesitate- strike for vitals.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Keys. got half a dozen or more keys on a keychain? hold them in your fist with the keys protruding between your fingers. keep your hand in your pocket, but loosely. if attacked, rake the keys down across the face and eyes, or thrust them into the throat or inguinal crease. and run.

carrying weapons, as defined as any item which has no practical purpose aside from causing harm (brass knuckles, guns, tactical batons, combat knives) can be considered premeditated action. using an every day item(keys, umbrellas, your belt) as a weapon, is just self-defense.

I agree that no one should carry a weapon if they do not have training. a knife is a practical tool and can be a weapon, but without training, you are more likely to end up on the stinging end. one should never draw a knife for self-defense until they are sure that their own life is in imminent critical danger, and once drawn, do not hesitate- strike for vitals.
Keys... Nope. Horribe idea. Don't believe me? Try it against something like a watermelon; you'll tear your hands up.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This is said a lot. And it’s just a bad idea. You’re more likely to injure yourself than an attacker.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Carrying any weapon without training is a bad idea in general. I carry a walking cane, I've been training 4 to 5 days a week for the last 8 months and still there's a lot of room for improvement. You just don't carry anything out without really know how to work it.

Remember, you carry a weapon and don't know how to use, the thug might take it from you and use it on you!!! I even put a loop on my cane and loop around my wrist so I won't accidentally lose it(happens more than you think). I also practice if the thug tries to pull it from me, I practice kicking the knee or between the legs and all that.

I can see key is a very bad idea, you punch someone with keys in between your fingers, first thing is the back of the key is going to dig into your palm and hurt you more.

Last edited:

tim po

Green Belt
Reaction score
it will hurt your hand, yes, if you throw a punch this way. press the keys into the face and rake across the eyes, this will not hurt your hand unless you are not holding the keys properly. if you grab your keys during an attack, yes, you will not be able to grab them and situate them effectively between your fingers, that is why i suggest being in the habit of carrying them in your hand, already seated firmly in your palm and arranged to protrude between the fingers. jabbing soft targets like the inguinal, underside of the arm or throat also will not require so much force to cause pain that it will hurt you.
there are better options, but some people don't want to carry a 'weapon', or may just not have their tazer with them that night. but your keys are already in your pocket? use what you have.
I can see key is a very bad idea, you punch someone with keys in between your fingers, first thing is the back of the key is going to dig into your palm and hurt you more.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you really insist on the idea of keys as a weapon, think more flail than punching. Use a long-ish keychain or fob that will let you effectively keep a grip on them, and then use them as a flail...

But it's still a bad idea. Even if you don't hurt your hand -- what if they keys break? Can you get into your house? Use your car to flee?

Latest Discussions