Does your art break?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
Uh... teeth?

No, we don't break anything because we don't find it useful.

Solidman82

Purple Belt
Reaction score
We only break to test our conditioning and power. My instructor once broke 2 fireplace bricks (no spacers) with a downward punch. I've also see him break through a fairly thick and solid tree branch with his forearm. All just for demonstration and measurment.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Gemini said:
It's funny you would think of it that way. After all, isn't it a sacrifice to achieve a (assumed) greater purpose? If not, why then would you do it?

To your point though, at our school, my subumnim thinks along the same lines. If you do a multi board break and fail, meaning you have to do the whole thing over again because you failed to break all the boards due to lack of focus, he hammers you for the unnecessary waste of a precious resource. Teaches people focus in a hurry.

Hahaha, sounds like my teacher. He knows that I'm kind of one of those crunch outdoorsy types. He says that "...tangsoodoin "hug" trees a little differently then you're used to..."

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
We practice breaking. The main things I've taken from it:

1) In order for the carnival tricks to work against wood, bricks etc (that aren't pretreated) you gotta hit them at the right place with good technique. Pain's a quick teacher, and you get that in abundance when you miff a break.

2) It's another tool in the kit. Some instructors insist that you should never strike a heavybag either. A heavybag still offers benefits to people who use it appropriately.

beauty_in_the_sai

Green Belt
Reaction score
My art breaks... It's mainly to show power and build focus. I don't like breaking very much. True, boards don't hit back as Bruce Lee says, but when you break them, they certainly bite back. When I break a board, I always hurt my foot or hand in varying degrees. Ahhh, what I do for focus.

Becky

bcbernam777

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The fundamental problem I see with breaking in terms of being able to utilise it, is that to break a board you need time, to focus yourself to break the board, you are not afforded this time in a real fight, in a real fight things move so quickly

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
And when you are shadow boxing with the heavy bag, it doesn'y have arns abd legs and will, and when you are sparring with a partner, he's not really trying to kill you. All ways of training, no is really complete and the all illuminate different aspects of your total training. No, being able to break a board does not mean you can get that focused power in a real fight, but if you can't deliver a strike to break a board under controlled conditions, how well are you really striking anyway?

Laborn

Blue Belt
Reaction score
bcbernam777 said:
The fundamental problem I see with breaking in terms of being able to utilise it, is that to break a board you need time, to focus yourself to break the board, you are not afforded this time in a real fight, in a real fight things move so quickly

Not really, my instructer always tells me to go from board to board as fast as i can, dont practice, dont really even look at the board, just focus and concentrate as quickly as possible, before i was a blackbelt he weould let me take my time, now he tells me to go, and i cant stop til all of them are broken. my instructer is big on speed lol.

SAVAGE

Blue Belt
Reaction score
No...we leave the poor trees alone...but in HKD we train to break people...does that count:uhyeah: !

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
SAVAGE said:
No...we leave the poor trees alone...but in HKD we train to break people...does that count:uhyeah: !

Only if you actually do it. :rolleyes:

So if I go to your school and they tell me "Yea, we're always looking for new boar...er, I mean students", I should look out. :lol2:

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Break what? Boards or bones? We train to break... bones. But we don't do it in class, cause we do want to keep training partners around. :rofl:

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
We don`t break wood or crush ice blocks. We do train to break various parts of the body like ribs, legs, fingers, the neck etc but this can be accomplished by other methods that are less damaging to your self.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cirdan said:
We don`t break wood or crush ice blocks. We do train to break various parts of the body like ribs, legs, fingers, the neck etc but this can be accomplished by other methods that are less damaging to your self.

Such as how? I'm not being smart, I'm honestly curious. :)

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My only issue with breaking was a "vaule lesson" back in my Hapkido days...

I was working in a warehouse, and was practicing for a test, where I needed to break 3 boards with no spacers. I brought in a BUNCH of wood, and set it up on some bricks and was breaking it.

Co-worker with NO training walked up and said "big deal, anyone can do that". I was like, Ok, go ahead but if you break your hand its your fault...

and he proceeded to punch thru all three boards. No training, nothing. He just did it.

So... I really started asking myself... "whats the point, if anyone can just do it?"

So... *I* find no value in breaking things.

I think if it works for you, great...

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
Silat doesnt revolve around that type of showmanship. Its cool enough to watch a 80 year old take out a group of teens and twenties.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Gemini said:
Such as how? I'm not being smart, I'm honestly curious. :)

Learn to strike the right anatomically spot. Strike at the right angle. Grip and bend/stretch your opponent to make spots easier to damage. Develop kime trough timing, breathing and intention. Replace the boards with a pad or a bag. Train with many partners so you learn to adapt your technique to opponents of various physikal build. I often train combinations with a doctor and he always explains things like "if you strike here,with your fist, this rib is likely to break quite easyly, or dislodge, and as a result your opponent`s breathing will be hampered." Interesting but nasty stuff :karate:

Latest Discussions