Do you wear socks or barefeet in class?

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
What is main reason 90% to 95% most martial arts class go barefeet? I hear safety is one of the reasons. That wearing socks you go slippery and sliding on the floor.

Try doing Judo well slippery and sliding on the floor you need a lot of good luck.

I know nylon socks ( very comfortable ) some people don't like it and they call it girls socks, very thin and are really bad almost anywhere, even in most people home walking on new shining hardwood floor you can go sliding and almost fall if not careful how you walk very sliding and slippery.

When people get little older they get cold ( part of old age) and socks keep you warm. When you are young you warm and can go barefeet.

Younger people like to go barefeet around the house well older people like to wear socks.

Some older people in martial arts classes I see wear socks. If you do wear socks do you have special kind you take to your class?

Some martial arts instructor are scared your socks may be dirty. Well really you should have special socks you wear in class and wash it every time before class. Nothing like seeing some one in dirty socks.

Just like people should have shower every day and places like in southern US where it gets very hot in 100 degree weather you should shower two or three times in a day like in Miami.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is main reason 90% to 95% most martial arts class go barefeet? I hear safety is one of the reasons. That wearing socks you go slippery and sliding on the floor.

Try doing Judo well slippery and sliding on the floor you need a lot of good luck.

I know nylon socks ( very comfortable ) some people don't like it and they call it girls socks, very thin and are really bad almost anywhere, even in most people home walking on new shining hardwood floor you can go sliding and almost fall if not careful how you walk very sliding and slippery.

When people get little older they get cold ( part of old age) and socks keep you warm. When you are young you warm and can go barefeet.

Younger people like to go barefeet around the house well older people like to wear socks.

Some older people in martial arts classes I see wear socks. If you do wear socks do you have special kind you take to your class?

Some martial arts instructor are scared your socks may be dirty. Well really you should have special socks you wear in class and wash it every time before class. Nothing like seeing some one in dirty socks.

Just like people should have shower every day and places like in southern US where it gets very hot in 100 degree weather you should shower two or three times in a day like in Miami.
erm......:rolleyes:

Bunny_with_Pancake.jpg

Rhea

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
From looking at other peoples feet, sometimes I wish I could wear socks....

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I don't wear socks in class for other peoples safety. :)

I thought it was more for your safety why they go barefeet that on the mat you can go slippery and sliding and could fall down if you wear socks.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
In many styles of martial arts, the practitioners of old may not have ever worn shoes.

Bare feet have more traction than socks.

Some practitioners wear shoes.... full contact or accidental contact with shoes can be painful or dangerous.

(I got nuthin')

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I imagine barefoot training is a matter of tradition in most places.

Just like in Hawaii, you never wear shoes into someone's house.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It seems to be a matter of cultural tradition based on where an art comes from originally.

Korean arts tend to be practiced barefoot.
Japanese arts tend to be practiced barefoot or in tabi socks.
Chinese arts tend to be practiced with shoes on.
European arts tend to be practiced with shoes on.

I think that most explanations based on immediate practicality tend to be after the fact rationalizations.

That said, I think it's a good idea to be comfortable using your art in your normal dress (including shoes) rather than just whatever the traditional training outfit is.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
It seems to be a matter of cultural tradition based on where an art comes from originally.

Korean arts tend to be practiced barefoot.
Japanese arts tend to be practiced barefoot or in tabi socks.
Chinese arts tend to be practiced with shoes on.
European arts tend to be practiced with shoes on.

I think that most explanations based on immediate practicality tend to be after the fact rationalizations.

That said, I think it's a good idea to be comfortable using your art in your normal dress (including shoes) rather than just whatever the traditional training outfit is.

I used t use this "cultural tradition" explanation a lot, but they normally wear shoes in all those places....and, in places where they practice indoors in barefeet, like Japan, they wear shoes when they practice outdoors.......so......I still got nothin'....

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I used t use this "cultural tradition" explanation a lot, but they normally wear shoes in all those places....and, in places where they practice indoors in barefeet, like Japan, they wear shoes when they practice outdoors.......so......I still got nothin'....
Yeah, I should clarify that by "cultural tradition" I don't mean that people in these countries normally walk around barefoot. I mean that at some point in the development of the martial arts of these countries someone decided to have their students practice barefoot or shod (for some immediate reason or another) and then the practice persisted as a cultural tradition within the martial arts of the area.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Yeah, I should clarify that by "cultural tradition" I don't mean that people in these countries normally walk around barefoot. I mean that at some point in the development of the martial arts of these countries someone decided to have their students practice barefoot or shod (for some immediate reason or another) and then the practice persisted as a cultural tradition within the martial arts of the area.

Sometimes.....outdoors, Japanese styles mostly practice shod in one way or another.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
Many arts train barefoot for various reasons:

It toughens your feet.
It allows you to learn correct foot positioning and striking areas.
It is safer for your training partners.
It stops your shoes and socks from getting too sweaty/smelly.
It protects the training surfaces (mats, floors, pads etc) from getting dirty or damaged.
It stops your feet from getting too much grip which can lead to injuries when you try to spin/turn.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Imagine only training in special shoes, and suddenly a fight breaks out, and you don't have your special shoes!!!!!

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Shoes do hinder proper foot position. As an instructor teaching foot position was always important for the safety of both sender and receiver. Outdoor training with shoes is a great way to train for the different surfaces but was saved for the advanced student once technique was grasped.
To this day when at home or visiting I always remove my outside footwear upon entering a home.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
For the Western foot, especially: this:

Shoes do hinder proper foot position. As an instructor teaching foot position was always important for the safety of both sender and receiver. Outdoor training with shoes is a great way to train for the different surfaces but was saved for the advanced student once technique was grasped.

Of course, different types of shoes require different foot positioning: loafers, sneakers and sandals all require different targeting.

My favorite steel-toes also require adjustments...
(Edited @Tez3 :better?)

Last edited: