Question and opinion request with foot hygiene

webzappr

White Belt
Reaction score
I am part of a christian based taekwondo group. We do not actually have a home and practice out of two different gyms. I have grown concern for foot hygiene since I have noticed some changes with my feet and my sons feet as well. I will spare details but I am just seeking opinions on sparring/martial arts/mma grip socks that people have used in the past. We still wash our feet after class, take good care etc but looking for options.

Normally, and from what I have read other places, this isn't as big of a concern because groups mostly practice in places where they properly clean the mats. Our situation, we are on a very public gym floor and I can only imagine what is brought into there. Thoughts? Thanks in advance for any input.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I haven't had any problems after many years barefoot in the dojo. My feet have changed, yes. Calloused mostly.

OP
W

webzappr

White Belt
Reaction score
I haven't had any problems after many years barefoot in the dojo. My feet have changed, yes. Calloused mostly.
My concern is the barefoot means of a public gym vs a controlled area as in a martial arts studio. Thanks for the reply!

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The first thing I do after working out is take a shower. As long as you're not practicing with open wounds on your feet, that should be all the hygiene you need.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In this situation I find it more helpful to think in a a clinical way rather than in a Martial Art way. If you are part of the equation and want to be part of the solution, go big. Go big and attack in a medical way as opposed to a social way.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
In this situation I find it more helpful to think in a a clinical way rather than in a Martial Art way. If you are part of the equation and want to be part of the solution, go big. Go big and attack in a medical way as opposed to a social way.
Yeah. Agreed. Buy some mat cleaner and use it. Conversely, you can look at something like an antibacterial foam or creme to use before class. Link below is an example, not an endorsement.

KSH97 KS Skin Protection [KSH97] : WRESTLING-CENTRAL - KSH97 KS Skin Protection [KSH97] : WRESTLING-CENTRAL

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My concern is the barefoot means of a public gym vs a controlled area as in a martial arts studio. Thanks for the reply!
This is why in dojo's I've been a part of, the owners and instructors clean the mats almost religiously. If it's callouses that you're noticing, don't worry about it. If it's anything else, talk to your instructor about it, see what he has to say (since he is the one who is there and presumably may have a solution if this is a common problem) and if you find his response unsatisfactory take steps that could involve cleaning it yourself, going to the gym shower and scrubbing them down after each class, or talking to a doctor depending on the seriousness of it.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
We get issues being a tropical area. Go see your chemist.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I use the soaps designed specifically for Wrestling and BJJ mostly because I caught MRSA at work once on my face after arresting a dirty person. It was bad still have a nasty scar on my jawline. Since I started using these soaps If have no problems. Im using this now:
The Arm Bar Soap Company - Soaps for Martial Arts Training because I like the smell but Ive used Defense Soap - Advanced Body Soap with Antibacterial, Anti Fungal and Antiviral Ingredients in the past and liked it I really like their travel wipes I keep some in my bag in my police car.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Any martial arts supplier that sells TKD stuff (Dynamics, Tiger Claw, etc) should sell Taekwondo shoes, which are basically what they sound like. If you watch some videos of people doing KKW/WTF forms or kicking drills you've probably seen them.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'd suggest either TKD shoes or wrestling shoes. If you're in a public place and don't have control of the environment, shoes will be your best defense. Not only from hygiene related stuff, but from objects on the floor as well.

I have bouts with plantar fasciitis, and use wrestling shoes from time to time. I thought it would be a tough transition the first time I wore them, but it wasn't. I practice karate.